Caramel Apple Cinnamon Bars
This post may contain affiliate links.
Caramel apples are so good, but they’re kind of a pain. The big stick, the messy factor, no thanks.
I put the flavor of caramel apples into soft, chewy bars. No sticks necessary.
The bars are an updated version of my 2011 Caramel Apple Bars. They’re super soft, moist, dense and remind me of an apple version of Soft Carrot Cake Bars but use grated apples rather than grated carrots.
I used my go-to blondies base recipe as the jumping off point. 30+ versions of blondies later, it’s a keeper.
To make the bars, I melted 1 stick of Horizon Organic Butter and whisked in one Horizon Organic Egg with brown sugar, spices, vanilla, flour, and grated apples. For 20 years Horizon Organic has been providing healthy organic milk, cheese, and other organic dairy products.
The bars are portable and make a great addition to lunch boxes. Now that back-to-school season is upon us, the challenge of finding things that are a hit with kids but that moms can live with is a daily exercise in creativity and resourcefulness. The bars are a slam dunk.
They’re comforting, homey, packed with flavor, the apples add so much chewy texture, and the homemade salted caramel drizzle complements the sweet apples perfectly.
Many of my desserts I donate to friends, my daughter’s teachers, or people in my building after we have a piece or two. When you bake six days a week and have cakes, cookies, bars, and pie coming out of the ying-yang you just have to. However I happily hoarded the bars and they got softer and tasted even better a couple days after I baked them as the flavors married.
I’d sure like to open my lunchbox and have one of these staring back at me.
- 1/2 cup unsalted Horizon Organic Butter, melted
- 1 large Horizon Organic Egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (not teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium/large apples, grated (about 1 1/2 cups grated apples measured loosely, not packed. I used 2 unpeeled Fuji, or try Braeburn or Gala)
- 1 medium/large apple, sliced into 1/8-inch slices, about 12 to 15 thin slices (I used 1 unpeeled Fuji)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- about 1/4 cup caramel sauce or salted caramel sauce, drizzled
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Bars – In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, optional salt, and whisk until combined.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined; don’t overmix.
- Add the grated apples and stir to combine.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Topping – Arrange apple slices by making 3 rows with 4 or 5 slices per row.
- Evenly sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until center is set, and is firm and springy to the touch. Start checking at 35 minutes and in some ovens with some apples, bars may take 60 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Baking time will vary widely based on moisture content of apples, climate and oven variances; bake until bars are set and done. If the top is browning more than is desired before center is cooking through, tent pan by loosing laying a sheet of foil over pan.
- Allow bars to cool in pan for about 30 minutes before drizzling with caramel and serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Bars get softer on days 2 and 3 and the flavors marry; I think the taste peaks 1-2 days after baking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
Caramel Apple Crumble Pie – Apple Pie meets Apple Crumble meets plenty of gooey caramel. Easy, fast, 5-minutes to assemble. Goofproof recipe for those of us who aren’t pie-makers!
Apple Pie Pancakes with Vanilla Maple Syrup – A Pinterest favorite! Soft, fluffy and full of apple flavor
Soft Carrot Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Glaze – Super soft bars that taste like blondies packed with chewy carrots! So good & a must-make!
Cinnamon Spice Applesauce Bread with Honey Butter – Applesauce keeps this bread so soft & moist! It’s like apple spice cake, disguised as ‘bread’ so you can have extra
Spiced Apple Pie Smoothie (vegan, GF) – A creamy and easy way to drink your apple pie rather than chew it
The Best & Easiest Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce – Ready in 15 minutes & tastes 1000x better than any storebought sauce ever could!
Vegan Chunky Apple Cinnamon Muffins – You’ll never miss the eggs or butter in these easy, healthy muffins loaded with apples & cinnamon!
5-Minute Microwave Apple Cinnamon Crumble For One (vegan, GF) – Warm, hearty, healthy & fast! Makes a great breakfast or snack!
Post is brought to you by Horizon Organic. Recipe, images, and opinions expressed are my own. Follow @Horizon_Organic #HorizonB2S to exchange great parenting tips.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.