Cheesy Loaded Scalloped Potatoes
This is my family’s dream food.
Warm potatoes baked with sour cream, green onions, and topped with cheese.
All the fixings of loaded baked potatoes are baked right into these tender, comforting, creamy, cheesy potatoes. What more could you ask for.
I wouldn’t call the dish lite, but I tried to make it a little lighter. To make the cream sauce I omitted butter altogether and used lite sour cream mixed with Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk.
It’s so irresistibly creamy and thick but with fewer calories than skim milk. Eating more plant-based protein is a great goal and Silk Cashewmilk or Silk Almond Milk are my milks of choice for baking and smoothies. They’re so low in calories and fat, they’re vegan and dairy-free, and I always get impressive-tasting results. It’s the perfect match between tasty and guilt-free.
The recipe is easy, feeds a crowd, and makes a great side for parties, events, holidays, and game days. Or make it for dinner for your family and you’ll have extra but I never mind planned leftovers.
My family loved the lightly browned cheese on top and asked me when I’m making these again.
Cheesy Loaded Scalloped Potatoes
This is my family’s dream food. Warm potatoes baked with sour cream, green onions, and topped with cheese. All the fixings of loaded baked potatoes are baked right into these tender, comforting, creamy, cheesy potatoes. I tried to make it a little lighter and to make the cream sauce I omitted butter altogether and used lite sour cream mixed with Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk. The recipe is easy, feeds a crowd, and makes a great side for parties, events, holidays, and game days. Or make it for dinner for your family and you’ll have extra for planned leftovers.
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk (Almondmilk or a thicker milk like whole milk may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream (I used lite)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, trimmed and sliced thin (use green and white), reserve 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- 1 heaping cup shredded cheddar cheese
- To a large pot add the potatoes, cover with water, cover pot with a lid, and heat over high-heat to boil. After water is boiling you can reduce the heat slightly or crack the lid so water doesn’t boil over. Boil until potatoes are fork-tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and set potatoes aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray a large baking dish (about 3 1/2 quarts) or a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the cashewmilk, flour, and whisk to combine.
- Add the sour cream, salt, pepper, and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Stir in the green onions; set aside.
- Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch wide rounds, add them to the milk-sour cream mixture, and gently stir and toss to coat. Allow potatoes to sit and soak up some of the cream mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes and unabsorbed cream mixture to prepared baking dish, making sure the potatoes lay mostly flat because edges or corners that are jutting up will be prone to burning.
- Evenly top with cheese and bake for about 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly golden browned. Start watching more closely at 25 minutes. Baking times will vary based on size and depth of baking dish; bake until potatoes are done to your liking given your equipment and taste preferences. Garnish with reserved green onions before serving. Potatoes are best warm and fresh, but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently before serving leftovers.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Baked Thick-Cut Seasoned Oven Fries (vegan, GF) – Learn the secrets to creating restaurant-style oven fries! They’re baked rather than fried so you can have extra!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying and doesn’t taste like health food!
Cinnamon Sugar and Ginger Roasted Potato Sticks (vegan, GF)
Lemon and Dill Roasted Potato Sticks (vegan, GF)
Caribbean Citrus Roasted Sweet Potatoes (vegan, GF)
Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Onion Dip (gluten-free) – One of my favorite dips of all time! Stir it together in one bowl in minutes and bake for cheesy, perfect comfort food!
Easy Cheesy Chili Dip – Just a few ingredients and 5 mins is all you need for this super easy dip packed with flavor! And cheese!
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
Post brought to you by Silk. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. Sign up for the Silk newsletter here.