Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Sweet Onion Dip
This post may contain affiliate links.
Creamy Baked Onion Dip — A cheesy, comforting, and easy dip that everyone loves! Made with cream cheese and sweet Vidalia onions!
Hot Cream Cheese Onion Dip Recipe
I used to say I hated onions, but I guess I don’t because I loved this dip. It’s ridiculously good and dangerously easy to make.
Given what’s in it, it’s impossible that it would be bad. We’re talking pure, unadulterated comfort food. It’s fattening, full of sodium, creamy and rich, with some soft texture from the onions, and a tiny bit of heat to keep you going back for more.
And the more you have, the more you want. Seriously addicting. Normally I don’t feel this way about savory foods and reserve this only for sweets, but it’s worth running extra miles for.
Because I used a sweet Vidalia onion, it’s not overly ‘oniony’. Of course there’s onion flavor, but in a good way, not in a I just ate onions and cannot be around others who haven’t for at least two days type way.
I added a pinch of cayenne and it provides some very gentle heat, but if you’re not into heat at all, omit it.
I’m a dip lover extraordinaire. As in, I can skip the entree and just eat dip at a restaurant or a party, and this is exactly the kind of dip that’ll make me do it. After a pound of cream cheese and cheese, who needs anything else?
It reminds me a lot of Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip, minus the tater tots, and incorporates elements of various onion dips and spinach and artichoke dips I saw online.
It’s a perfect dip to serve at football or sports parties, as an appetizer at any dinner party, serve it as a Thanksgiving or holiday side dish, or make it just because it’s Wednesday night.
After we gorged on half the batch, I put the remainder into an airtight container, refrigerated it, and the next day nuked it for a minute and it was good as new.
No tripod and a freehand shot of me going after all the stretchy, golden cheese. The last time I did a shot like this it was with marshmallows. This was better than marshmallows and that’s saying a lot given my mouthful of sweet teeth.
What’s in Baked Onion Dip?
To make this cream cheese onion dip, you’ll need:
- Cream cheese
- Sweet Vidalia onion
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
How to Make Baked Onion Dip
To make it, simply combine cream cheese, mayo, grated cheese, sweet onion, black pepper, and optional cayenne pepper, in a bowl and give it a stir.
Turn it out into a pie dish, top with a handful of cheese, and bake until it’s golden browned and bubbly.
The wafting scent will force you to rip it from the oven and just dig in.
What to Serve with Homemade Onion Dip
Anything salty and carb-y will work with this dip. Here are some of my favorites:
- Tortilla chips
- Potato chips
- Pita chips
- Pretzel chips
- Pita bread
- Sliced baguette
What Type of Cheese Should I Use?
I used Kerrygold’s Blarney Castle cheese, but most any cheese or shredded cheese blend from Parmesan to a 4-cheese blend will be lovely. It’s cheese. There’s no wrong answer.
Can I Make This Dip in Advance?
Yes! You can assemble the dip, cover it with plastic wrap, and chill until you’re ready to bake it off.
Tips for Making Hot Onion Dip
I used low fat cream cheese and low fat mayo to try to keep it somewhat healthier but of course, you can use full-fat products if you prefer a truly gluttonous dip or love cardio.
You could add a couple handfuls of frozen spinach and artichokes to make onion-dip-meets-spinach-and-artichoke-dip. I’m going to try that next time. You could add a cup of corn, beans, or pre-cooked rice, too, to beef it up.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (light is okay, I used TJ’s Soft Spreadable Light
- 1 cup mayonnaise (light is okay, I used Best Foods Light Mayo
- 6 to 8 ounces grated cheese, divided (I used 7-ounces Blarney Castle
- 1 medium/large sweet Vidalia onion, peeled and diced (about 1 heaping cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish (or 1o-inch, or similar-sized oven-safe baking dish) with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients (except reserve about 1/2 cup cheese to be sprinkled on top) and stir to combine.
- Turn mixture out into prepared dish, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until top is golden browned, bubbly, and dip is done to your liking (I baked for 47 minutes). Allow dip to cool momentarily before serving. Dip is best warm and fresh, but extra will keep airtight in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Gently re-heat in micro before serving leftover portion. Read product labels to ensure all products are gluten-free if that’s a consideration for you. Serving Suggestions – chips, bread, crackers, bagel chips, pita chips, Fritos Scoops, mini toasts, carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber sticks, zucchini sticks, jicama, bell pepper wedges, mushrooms, your favorite crudites, or eat by the spoonful.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 499mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
More Easy Dip Recipes:
The Best Spinach Artichoke Dip — This baked spinach artichoke dip is rich, creamy, and it’s a crowd FAVORITE sure to disappear at parties!! It’s so cheesy thanks to both mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses! It’s just THE BEST!!
Easy Cheesy Chili Dip — This is the fastest and easiest dip ever. Just a few ingredients, five minutes, and it’s ready, but don’t let that fool you because it tastes amazing.
Jalapeño Popper Dip with Bacon — Same great flavor as bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers, minus the work!! Creamy, CHEESY, loaded with bacon, and topped with CRISPY jalapeños! Fast, EASY, perfect for parties!!
Beef Queso Dip — Caramelized onions, ground beef, taco seasoning, and CHEESE in this EASY queso dip everyone loves!! Great for game days, PARTIES, holidays, and events!!
Creamy Ranch and Cheese Bread Bowl Dip — I love dips and this one hits all the elements. Fast, easy, no-bake, creamy, cheesy, and loaded with ranch flavor.
Layered Beef Taco Dip — A FAST and EASY layered dip with taco-seasoned cream cheese, sour cream, ground beef, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, and more!! Perfect for your next FIESTA and a guaranteed WINNER with everyone!!
Baked Triple Cheese and Tortilla Chip Dip — This easy chip dip recipe is made with corn tortilla chips, salsa, and three types of cheese. It can be assembled in advance and baked just before guests arrive!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.