Cheesy Roasted Chickpeas and Broccoli
This post may contain affiliate links.
Cheesy Roasted Chickpeas and Broccoli – Fast, EASY, healthy, and keeps you full and satisfied!! Vegan and gluten-free doesn’t have to be boring! Perfect lunch, hearty side, or meatless main! You’re going to LOVE the cheesy touch!!
This is my kind of food. Honestly this is what I eat day in and day out and I never tire of it.
If you’re looking for a fast, easy, and healthy way to eat vegan and gluten-free AND for it to taste great and keep you full and satisfied, this is the recipe for you. <— Did you catch all that because those are some major perks.
This is a great quickie lunch recipe, meatless main, or hearty side dish you’re going to love.
Let’s get one thing cleared up about the recipe right off the bat. There is no actual cheese involved. Instead I used nutritional yeast. It used to be an elusive product but now you can find it everywhere from Trader Joe’s to Whole Foods or Amazon (my personal fave).
It’s what vegans like to tell you tastes like cheese and lends a cheesy flavoring to soups, stews, kale chips (2009 vintage recipe when I was 100% vegan), roasted vegetables, and the like.
Does it taste like cheese? It has the savory, unami quality but the texture is totally different. You cannot compare a hunk of aged cheddar or a soft and tender piece of brie with nutritional yeast flakes. But if you are vegan, like I was for many years, it’s pretty awesome and it’s packed with a ton of B vitamins, protein, and fiber.
Lightly charred broccoli and crisp-tender sugar snap peas with chickpeas that are firmer on the outside and tender on the inside, yes please.
There are lots of recipes for baked chickpeas that are touted as ‘cripsy’. I don’t find that baked chickpeas are every truly crispy because they’re not fried. However if you let them cool for about 15 minutes before diving in, they do crisp up more and are somewhat crunchy. And they are coated in ‘cheese’. My favorite.
- one 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed, and patted dry (I use no salt added or low salt versions)
- olive oil cooking spray (or a tiny bit of olive oil may be substituted)
- 3 to 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 to 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- fresh parsley, optional for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a sheet pan with foil for easier cleanup.
- To the sheet pan add the chickpeas, lightly spray them with cooking spray, and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven, add the broccoli, sugar snap peas, evenly drizzle everything with olive oil, evenly sprinkle the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and toss with your hands to coat evenly.
- Bake for an about 10 minutes, or until broccoli is as done as desired; I prefer mine more crisp-tender but if you like it softer then bake longer.
- Optionally garnish with parsley before serving. The chickpeas will firm up and 'crisp up' as they cool so if you don't mind eating this dish warm as opposed to piping hot, waiting an additional 15 minutes before serving improves the overall texture of the chickpeas for me.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 25gSugar: 14gProtein: 21g
20 Healthy Easy Dinner Recipes – Looking for healthy, easy recipes that taste great and everyone in the family will love? Plenty of options here that you’ll want to put into your regular rotation!
Chickpea and Kale Glow Bowl with Dreamy Tahini Dressing – Fast, easy, accidentally vegan and gluten-free! Keeps you satisfied and glowing from the inside out! The zippy dressing lives up to its dreamy name!
Roasted Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad – An easy, healthy, lettuce-less salad with roasted curried cauliflower and chickpeas as the stars! Topped with raisins, pistachios, cilantro, and a delish tangy Greek yogurt dressing!
Tropical Chickpea Salad – Pineapple, mango, pineapple salsa, and pico de gallo tossed with chickpeas for a salad that tastes like a tropical vacation! Easy, ready in 5 minutes, loaded with sweet-yet-savory flavor, and so healthy!
Easy Chicken Shawarma Salad Bowls – An easy version of chicken shawarma that’s fast, healthy, and delish! Fragrant spices, juicy lemony chicken, fresh veggies, and a tangy Greek-yogurt sauce that’s cooling and perfect!
Parmesan Balsamic Roasted Broccoli – Even people who don’t like to eat their veggies will love broccoli prepared this way! Easy, healthy, and full of flavor from the balsamic and Parmesan!
Twelve Superfoods Salad – Trying to eat healthier? Make thiseasy, flavorful salad!! Loaded with everything healthy and it tastes awesome! Kale, quinoa, edamame, blueberries, grapes, seeds, nuts, and more!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.