Smoky Roasted Chickpea Salad with Buttermilk Chive Dressing
This post may contain affiliate links.
Smoky Roasted Chickpea Salad with Buttermilk Chive Dressing — An EASY salad with smoky roasted chickpeas, vegetables, kale, and topped with homemade chive-infused buttermilk dressing!! An accidentally vegetarian, gluten-free, HEALTHY, and SATISFYING salad!!
Roasted Chickpea Salad Recipe
I adore roasted chickpeas of any kind and they’re wonderful coated in smoked paprika and cumin. Along with the smoky roasted chickpeas, I roasted broccoli and sugar snap peas.
I added everything to a bed of kale, along with juicy tomatoes, and drizzled homemade chive-infused buttermilk dressing over the top. The cooling buttermilk dressing is a perfect contrast to the smoky mild heat of the smoked paprika.
If you’re like me and nibble like crazy at the chickpeas as they’re cooling, you may want to use two cans to double the amount so you have enough for the salad. Wish I was kidding but I could snack on roasted chickpeas like they’re M&M’s. I guess that’s a good problem to have.
The salad is perfect as a meatless main or as a lunch that will keep you satisfied for hours.
What’s in Roasted Chickpea Salad?
To make this easy chickpea salad recipe, you’ll need:
- Sugar snap peas
- Olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Garlic powder
How to Make Roasted Chickpea Salad
Add the chickpeas, broccoli, and sugar snap peas to a baking sheet. Evenly drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with spices, and toss with your hands to combine.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are as done as desired. While the veggies roast, assemble the salad and make the dressing.
Once the veggies and chickpeas are done, spoon over the prepped salad and enjoy!
Can I Use Another Leafy Green?
The kale adds hearty texture to the salad but if you don’t have it on hand, use Romaine or your other favorite greens. They will be just fine in this naturally gluten-free vegetarian salad.
Can I Roast Different Veggies?
If you want to roast sweet potatoes, onions, bell peppers, or just about any other veggie you enjoy and have on hand, go for it.
Tips for Making This Kale Chickpea Salad
The buttermilk salad dressing is pretty chive-y because I added 3 tablespoons of chives, but if you don’t want it as herbalicious, reduce to taste. If you prefer dill rather than chives, it would be lovely in the dressing as well.
I love all the textures going on and if you’re a texture freak like I am and want even more texture, sprinkle some pine nuts, slivered almonds, or even dried fruit like craisins over the salad.
Freshly grated Parmesan would also be delish. There are no rules when it comes to salads — the more the merrier — everything but the kitchen sink.
Chickpeas and Salad
- one 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed, and patted dry (I use no salt added or low salt versions)
- 3 to 4 cups broccoli (florets and stalks okay)
- about 1.5 cups sugar snap peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 to 1 bunch kale, torn into bite sized pieces with thick ribs removed (Romaine may be substituted)
- 1 or 2 tomatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- about 1/3 cup sour cream, or as needed for consistency (I used low-fat; Greek yogurt may be substituted)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh chives, or to taste (fresh dill may be substituted)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
Chickpeas and Salad:
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a sheet pan with foil for easier cleanup.
- Add the chickpeas, broccoli, sugar snap peas. Evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly sprinkle with smoked paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, and toss with your hands to combine.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are as done as desired.
- While the chickpeas and vegetables bake, assemble the salad by adding the kale and tomatoes to a large bowl; set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add all ingredients and whisk to combine; taste for seasoning balance and add more salt, pepper, etc. if desired; set aside until necessary. If you prefer a thicker dressing, add more sour cream as desired.
- To the kale and tomatoes, add the chickpeas and vegetables after they're done baking. *(see note below)
- Add the dressing to taste and serve immediately.
*Tip - The chickpeas will firm up and ‘crisp up’ as they cool so if you don’t mind waiting an additional 15 minutes before serving, it improves the overall texture of the chickpeas for me.
Storage: Recipe is best fresh; extra dressing will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 1178mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 26gSugar: 16gProtein: 24g
More Healthy Salad Recipes:
30 Best Easy Healthy Salads — Break out of your salad rut with these amazing salads!! Fast, easy, and flavorful! You’ll want to put them into your regular rotation!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Buddha Bowl – A big ole round bowl full of goodness just like Buddha! The bowls are fast, easy, naturally vegan and gluten-free! If you need a healthy recipe that tastes like comfort food, this is it!
Chickpea and Kale Glow Bowl with Dreamy Tahini Dressing – Fast, easy, accidentally vegan and gluten-free! Keeps you satisfied and glowing from the inside out! The zippy dressing lives up to its dreamy name!
Roasted Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad – An easy, healthy, lettuce-less salad with roasted curried cauliflower and chickpeas as the stars! Topped with raisins, pistachios, cilantro, and a delish tangy Greek yogurt dressing!
Tropical Chickpea Salad – Pineapple, mango, pineapple salsa, and pico de gallo tossed with chickpeas for a salad that tastes like a tropical vacation! Easy, ready in 5 minutes, loaded with sweet-yet-savory flavor, and so healthy!
Easy Chicken Shawarma Salad Bowls – An easy version of chicken shawarma that’s fast, healthy, and delish! Fragrant spices, juicy lemony chicken, fresh veggies, and a tangy Greek-yogurt sauce that’s cooling and perfect!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.