Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Buddha Bowl
This post may contain affiliate links.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpea Buddha Bowl – A big ole round bowl full of goodness just like Buddha!! The bowls are fast, EASY, naturally vegan and gluten-free! If you need a HEALTHY recipe that tastes like comfort food, this is it!!
What Is A Buddha Bowl
Why is it called a Buddha bowl? Because it’s stuffed to the max and round in the middle just like Buddha.
It’s a cousin of the Chickpea and Kale Glow Bowls with Dreamy Tahini Dressing that I posted in January.
I love the dressing so much that there’s also a very similar version of it in this Tahini Chicken Salad. It’s creamy without being heavy, compliments the plant based nature of the bowls, and lends major flavor oomph.
It really makes the veggies in the bowl pop.
What Kind Of Vegetables To Use
This recipe makes enough for 4 bowls and I included roasted sweet potatoes, chickpeas, broccoli, and red onions that have been tossed in cumin, coriander, and turmeric.
You can definitely mix and match the veggies based on what you have on hand and enjoy. If you have avocado, or other veggies that roast well like zucchini, carrots, or cauliflower on hand – throw them in too. The more the merrier. This is a big ole round Buddha bowl after all.
The flavor profile reminds me of these Easy Chicken Shawarma Salad Bowls which I totally adore and it’s some of the most flavorful chicken I’ve ever made.
I placed the roasted veggies on a bed of kale and topped everything with a an easy, whisk-together lemon tahini dressing. So many diverse textures all in one bite.
The bowls are a perfect hearty yet healthy lunch or a great meatless dinner option that’ll keep you satisfied for hours from all the plant-based fiber and protein.
The recipe is naturally vegan and gluten-free and even though it’s healthy, it tastes like comfort food.
- 1 large/extra-large sweet potato, peeled and diced small
- one 15-ounce can low-sodium chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- about 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small/medium red onion, peeled and sliced into small chunks
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- minced garlic, optional and to taste
- about 4 cups kale, divided (4 big handfuls, or more if desired)
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- heaping 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey (use agave or maple syrup to keep vegan)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- garlic, optional and to taste
- about 2 to 4 tablespoons water, or as needed to thin to desired consistency
- Buddha Bowl - Preheat oven to 425F convection bake (if you don't have a convection oven, 425F regular is fine, noting your roasting time could be a bit longer) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
- Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, broccoli (tip - if you like your broccoli more on the crisp-tender side, add it in the final 15 minutes of cooking rather than in the beginning with everything else), red onion, evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly sprinkle with cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, pepper, optional garlic, and roast for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Toss once midway through roasted to ensure even cooking. While veggies roast, make the dressing.
- Lemon Tahini Dressing – To a medium bowl, add all ingredients (add the water 1 tablespoon at a time), and whisk to combine. Taste dressing to check for seasoning balance; add more salt, pepper, lemon juice, honey, etc. if desired.
- Add about 1 cup of kale to each bowl of 4 bowls, evenly divide the roasted veggies and chickpeas between the bowls, and drizzle with dressing, to taste. Bowls are best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge (undressed) for up to 4 days. Extra dressing will keep airtight for up to 1 week in the fridge.
Dressing adapted from Dreamy Tahini Dressing
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1280mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 12gSugar: 18gProtein: 13g
Chickpea and Kale Glow Bowl with Dreamy Tahini Dressing – Fast, easy, accidentally vegan and gluten-free! Keeps you satisfied and glowing from the inside out! The dressing lives up to its dreamy name!
Easy Chicken Shawarma Salad Bowls – An easy version of chicken shawarma that’s fast, healthy, and delish! Fragrant spices, juicy lemony chicken, fresh veggies, and a tangy Greek-yogurt sauce that’s cooling and perfect!
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 30 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Healthy comfort food that tastes amazing!
Tropical Chickpea Salad – Pineapple, mango, pineapple salsa, and pico de gallo tossed with chickpeas for a salad that tastes like a tropical vacation! Easy, ready in 5 minutes, loaded with sweet-yet-savory flavor, and so healthy!
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip – The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!
Curry Coconut Oil Sweet Potato Fries with Cucumber Dill Dip – A fast and flavorful twist on sweet potatoes! The warming notes of the curry are perfectly offset by the cooling dip! Comfort food that’s healthy and easy!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad – Goodbye mayo-loaded, mushy, boring potato salad. Hello to a Mexican-inspired potato salad full of flavor and texture with corn, black beans, peppers, and cilantro!
Roasted Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad – An easy, healthy, lettuce-less salad with roasted curried cauliflower and chickpeas as the stars! Topped with raisins, pistachios, cilantro, and a delish tangy Greek yogurt dressing!
Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad – Fast, easy, and fresh! Bright flavors and loads of texture! This clean-eating salad keeps you full and satisfied! Healthy never tasted so good!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls – Juicy chicken along with your favorite burrito ingredients served in a bowl! Pile the toppings sky high and not worry about a wrap breaking, plus it’s a little healthier! Easy and ready in 15 minutes!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.