Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable Skillet
This post may contain affiliate links.
Chicken and Rice Skillet with Veggies — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet with everyday ingredients you probably have on hand!! A HEALTHY weeknight dinner the whole family will LOVE!!
The Best Chicken and Rice Recipe
Sometimes you just have to get dinner on the table in a hurry, and this chicken and rice dish is a recipe that will help you do just that. It’s easy, ready in 20 minutes in one skillet, and is both hearty yet healthy.
Sometimes simple recipes with everyday ingredients taste great, and this is one of those recipes. The sautéed onions, garlic, fresh green onions provide plenty of flavor, and I always appreciate the crunch of veggies like bell peppers and broccoli to contrast the tender rice and juicy chicken.
It’s such an easy, family-friendly recipe that’s naturally gluten-free, ready in 20 minutes, and everyone will enjoy it. What you don’t eat that night for dinner makes for great work or school lunches the next day.
What’s in This Chicken and Rice Skillet?
To make this easy chicken and rice recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Vidalia onion
- Red bell pepper
- Chicken breasts
- Cooked rice
- Broccoli florets
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Green onions
How to Make Chicken and Rice with Veggies
Start by sautéing an onion and add red bell peppers, chicken, and garlic. Then add the cooked rice and broccoli, season with paprika and cardamom, and cover the skillet until the broccoli is as crisp-tender as desired, which is about five minutes for me.
I used paprika and cardamom, but you can get creative and take it in another flavor direction. Try curry powder, turmeric, and ginger. Or go with lemon pepper and other fresh herbs like parsley or mint. There are lots of ways to mix it up.
You can finish the recipe with some shredded cheese. You can’t go wrong with cheesy rice for the comfort food win.
What Type of Rice Should I Use?
To save time, I suggest using precooked rice. I used two packets of Jasmine Ready Rice but almost any flavor or variety of rice is fine, including leftover rice.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Of course! I recommend using boneless, skinless chicken thighs so it’s easy to cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Tips for Making This Chicken and Rice Skillet
You’re welcome to use other veggies in this chicken and rice skillet than what the recipe calls for. Just keep in mind that different veggies may have different cook times.
Be sure to add the rice to the skillet at the very end just so it gets warmed through. If you add the rice too early, it’ll become over cooked (remember: you’re adding pre-cooked rice to the skillet!).
If you’re trying to keep the dish on the healthier side and cut out some unnecessary fat and calories, feel free to skip the cheese. The dish tastes plenty good without it. The photos shown do not include cheese.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 4 cups cooked rice (to save time use two 8.5-ounce packets precooked rice; I used Jasmine Ready Rice)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese, optional
- 3 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- To a large skillet, add the oil, sweet Vidalia onions, and cook over medium-high heat until onions are becoming soft and translucent, about 5 minutes; stir frequently.
- Add the red peppers, chicken, and and cook for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is nearly cooked through; stir and flip frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir nearly constantly.
- Add the rice, broccoli, water, evenly sprinkle with paprika, cardamom, salt, pepper, stir to combine, cover skillet, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until broccoli is as crisp-tender as desired.
- Optionally add the cheese and stir to combine until melted.
- Evenly sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
- Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 683Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 857mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 50g
More Easy Chicken Dinners:
Easy Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice — One-skillet, ready in 20 minutes, and you’ll never want takeout again after tasting how good homemade is!! Way more flavor, not greasy, and loads of juicy chicken!!
15-Minute Chicken, Vegetable, and Ramen Noodle Stir Fry – Don’t call for takeout when you can make this EASY Asian stir fry in minutes!! HEALTHIER and faster than takeout and great for busy weeknights!!
Easy Chicken Paella — If you’re never made paella before, here’s how with this EASY recipe ready in 45 minutes!! Juicy chicken and tender rice with onions, peppers, tomatoes, and more! So much FLAVOR in every bite!!
Lime Cilantro Chicken with Mixed Rice and Black Beans – Easy, one skillet, 15-minute meal! Tons of textures and bold flavors in every bite! The lime makes this dish just pop!
Skinny 15-Minute Sesame Chicken and Broccoli – Skip takeout and make this Asian favorite at home in just minutes!! So EASY and HEALTHIER than what you’d get in a restaurant but tastes just as AWESOME!!
Chicken Stir-Fry with Noodles — Loaded with juicy chicken, crisp-tender veggies, comforting noodles, and Asian-inspired flavors! Perfect for busy weeknights!!
One-Skillet Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables — The recipe is easy, ready in 15 minutes, healthy, and made in one skillet. The chicken is juicy and moist while the vegetables are perfectly crisp-tender.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.