Cinnamon Roll Apple Crisp
This post may contain affiliate links.
Cinnamon Roll Apple Crisp – A layer of cinnamon rolls topped with apples and a crunchy oatmeal crumble makes this the ULTIMATE apple crisp!! EASY, ready in 40 minutes, and tastes AMAZING!!
I love crisps and crumbles of all kinds but apple crisp in particular is always a nostalgic favorite. This recipe combines the tried and true flavors of apple crisp – including juicy apples spiced with cinnamon and sugar and topped with a crumble topping – with a special twist.
A Cinnamon Roll Crust
I used cinnamon roll dough to make the crust or base layer of this apple crisp. It doesn’t get much better than cinnamon rolls + apple crisp all in one.
Simply open a tube of refrigerated cinnamon roll dough and place the 8 rolls in the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan.
I put two rolls in each of four rows. Smoosh the rolls with your hand and this is going to become the base of your apple crisp. The rolls will not completely cover the pan but they expand when they bake.
I used two Gala and two Granny Smith apples that I peeled and cut into thin slices. You could probably use whatever apples you have on hand or are your favorites.
Arrange the slices over the cinnamon rolls like you’re making a pie before sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar.
The Crumble Topping
Crumble toppings are where it’s at for me. Truthfully, after I got done photographing this, I may have used a spoon to scoop off the crumble topping in a portion of this pan. It was a little bald in places, no biggie.
I cannot resist the crunchy-crispy factor that happens when you bake the butter, brown sugar, and oats. The contrast of the soft and juicy apples with the crumble is primo.
Make sure you use old-fashioned whole rolled oats and not quick cook or instant because they will not produce the correct texture for your crumble. People always write to me and ask me when it comes to oats, well can I substitute…No, you can’t. Old-fashioned only for this recipe.
After baking, I simple drizzled the icing that came with the cinnamon rolls over the crumble and added a scoop of frozen coconut milk whipped topping. The contrast of the cold topping and warm apples was heavenly.
That stuff is heavenly and worth seeking out. So creamy and rich yet it’s dairy-free and vegan. This post is not sponsored by them but this post for Homemade Caramel Macchiatos was.
You could add regular whipped topping (frozen or thawed), vanilla ice cream, or go with homemade salted caramel sauce or your fave caramel sauce.
Whatever you put on this ultimate apple crisp is just literally the icing on the cake before diving in.
Other favorite apple recipes:
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Crumble Bars – Move over apple pie! These are an apple pie, apple crumble and cheesecake all in one! YUM!
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake – The soft and gooey factor of a Cinnabon with apples and so much caramel sauce! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and uses store bought cinnamon roll dough to save time! One of the best desserts ever!
- Caramel Apple Crumble Foil Packs –Easy, zero cleanup, made on the grill (or oven) in record time, and delish! Juicy apples, chewy crumble topping, and luscious salted caramel!
- Caramel Apple Crumble Pie – Apple Pie meets Apple Crumble meets plenty of gooey caramel! Easy, fast, 5-minutes to assemble. Goofproof recipe for those of us who aren’t pie-makers!
- Apple Fritter Bread – Soft, fluffy bread that’s stuffed AND topped with apples, cinnamon, and sugar! Like apple fritters in bread form!
Cinnamon Rolls and Apples
- one 12.4-ounce package refrigerated cinnamon roll dough with icing
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin (I used 2 Gala and 2 Granny Smith)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- icing from cinnamon rolls
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup old-fashioned whole rolled oats (not quick cook or instant)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 35oF, line a 9x13-inch pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup, and spray with cooking spray.
- Cinnamon Rolls and Apples - Add the 8 cinnamon rolls to the pan, evenly distributed. I put two rolls in each of four rows. Smoosh or flatten each of the rolls with your hand. They will not completely cover the pan but they expand when they bake.
- Evenly scatter the apples over the entire surface of the pan, slightly layering them as needed, as if you were making a pie.
- Evenly sprinkle with granulated sugar, cinnamon; set aside and set icing aside.
- Crumble Topping - To a large bowl add all the ingredients and cut with two forks to combine mixture into pea-sized clumps.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble topping over the apples and bake for about 40 minutes, or until top is lightly golden brown and set.
- Evenly drizzle the icing and serve immediately; optionally serve with whipped topping or ice cream. Crumble is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight at room temp for up to 4 days.
Adapted from Allrecipes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 483mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 4gSugar: 37gProtein: 4g
Caramel Apple Crumble Foil Packs –Easy, zero cleanup, made on the grill (or oven) in record time, and delish! Juicy apples, chewy crumble topping, and luscious salted caramel!
Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake – The soft and gooey factor of a Cinnabon with apples and so much caramel sauce! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and uses storebought cinnamon roll dough to save time! One of the BEST desserts ever!
Caramel Apple Crumble Pie – Apple Pie meets Apple Crumble meets plenty of gooey caramel! Easy, fast, 5-minutes to assemble. Goofproof recipe for those of us who aren’t pie-makers!
Apple Cinnamon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – An EASY, one-bowl, no-mixer apple cake that’s to-die-for!! Loaded with juicy apples in every bite, perfectly spiced, and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting! So DELISH!!
Sugar Cookie Apple Crumble Cheesecake Pie – A buttery sugar cookie crust, tangy cream cheese filling, tender juicy apples, and a crumble topping make this pie a total SHOWSTOPPER!! EASY and THE BEST apple pie!!
Caramel Apple Muffins – Soft, fluffy, springy, loaded with chunks of apples, and so much CARAMEL flavor!! EASY, no mixer needed, and you’d never guess they’re accidentally vegan!!
Cinnamon Spice Applesauce Bread with Honey Butter – Applesauce keeps this bread so soft & moist! It’s like apple spice cake, disguised as ‘bread’ so you can have extra!
Spiced Apple and Banana Bundt Cake with Vanilla Caramel Glaze – Apple cake meets banana bread with a to-die-for glaze! Best.ever.
Apple Fritter Bread – Soft, fluffy bread that’s stuffed AND topped with apples, cinnamon, and sugar! Like apple fritters in bread form!
Carrot Apple Bread – Carrot cake with apples added and baked as a bread so it’s healthier! Super moist, packed with flavor, fast and easy!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Crumble Bars – Move over apple pie! These are an apple pie, apple crumble and cheesecake all in one! YUM!
5-Minute Microwave Apple Cinnamon Crumble For One (vegan, gluten-free) – 5-minute easy recipe that’s perfect for breakfast or snacks!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.