Easy 30-Minute Stovetop Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links.
My daughter loves mac and cheese and with fall around the corner, I decided to work in some pumpkin.
Yes, the first pumpkin recipe of the season and it’s a total winner. My family adored this mac-and-cheese.
The pumpkin flavor is very subtly present without being overwhelming and what you notice is how cheesy and creamy the macaroni tastes.
I wrote a cookbook with 50+ recipes using pumpkin and in the cookbook there’s a recipe for baked mac and cheese with a breadcrumb topping. However, my daughter likes her mac and cheese more classic, basic, and straightforward. No breadcrumbs, bacon bits, or truffle oil which makes my job even faster and easier since there’s nothing to bake and it’s ready in 30 minutes.
To keep it healthier and lighter, I used Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk and it’s so irresistibly creamy and thick but with fewer calories than skim milk. Eating more plant-based protein is a great goal and Silk Cashewmilk or Silk Almond Milk are my milks of choice for baking, smoothies, and creamy pasta dishes.
They’re so low in calories and fat, they’re vegan and dairy-free, and I always get impressive-tasting results. It’s the perfect match between tasty and guilt-free.
The recipe doubles easily in case you want to freeze leftovers in single-serve portions and you can pull them out and re-heat at a moment’s notice.
- 12 ounces medium-sized pasta shells, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 of 1 stick)
- scant 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (grate your own because pre-grated cheese in bags doesn’t melt well)
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set pasta.
- To a large skillet, add the butter and heat over medium heat to melt.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly until the mixture turns light brown and has bubbled for about 1 minute. Cook long enough to cook off the raw flour taste, but not so long it gets overly browned.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly, making sure to smooth out any possible clumps that formed.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, optional dry mustard, optional nutmeg, and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the pumpkin puree and whisk to incorporate. (Need recipe ideas for the leftover? Check here or here)
- Add the cheddar, parmesan, and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Add the pasta and stir to evenly coat. Depending on preference, if macaroni and cheese is on the thicker side, add a splash of milk or water to thin out to taste. I haven’t needed to do this, but it’s an option in case.
- Serve immediately. Recipe is best warm and fresh, but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 4 months. Reheat very gently prior to serving leftovers so cheese doesn’t separate.
Adapted from Easy 30-Minute Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 362mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
Easy 30-Minute Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese – Classic mac and cheese the whole family will love! The creamy, cheesy comfort food you crave!! So much better than anything out of a box and just as easy!!
Macaroni and Cheese Baked Cheese Balls – A perfect use for leftover macaroni! Bread it, bake it, devour it!
Easy 20-Minute Lighter Fettucine Alfredo – The creamy and cheesy taste you crave minus the extra fat and calories! A fast and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights that everyone loves!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing!
Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks – Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge!
Post brought to you by Silk. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. Sign up for the Silk newsletter here.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.