Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake
But my family needs a little more and that’s where this easy enchilada bake that’s ready in 30 minutes comes in.
It’s not like traditional enchiladas where you have to carefully fill and roll up each tortilla individually. Instead you simply stir together shredded chicken (use storebought rotisserie or leftover chicken to save time) with sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning.
Then rather than filling and rolling tortillas, you cut up tortillas and layer them in a baking pan with the chicken mixture, tomatoes, and cheese. All the layers of goodness remind me of lasagna but with a Mexican flair.
There’s so much flavor and just a touch of heat from the salsa and taco seasoning. I used medium heat but you can go as hot or mild as you like. The juicy tomatoes and gooey melted cheese with the soft tortilla shells make this an instant comfort food family favorite that would also be great for game days or parties.
You can prep this up to two days in advance and bake it off when you’re ready for an easy make-ahead meal. And you’ll likely have planned leftovers. A double win.
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake
This fast and easy enchilada bake is ready in 30 minutes and isn’t like traditional enchiladas where you have to carefully fill and roll up each tortilla individually. Instead you stir together shredded chicken with sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning. Rather than filling and rolling tortillas, you cut up tortillas and layer them in a baking pan with the chicken mixture, tomatoes, and cheese. There’s so much flavor and a touch of heat from the salsa and taco seasoning. The juicy tomatoes and gooey melted cheese with the soft tortilla shells make this an instant family favorite. You can prep this up to two days in advance and bake it off when you’re ready for an easy make-ahead meal and you’ll likely have planned leftovers.
- 2 heaping cups cooked and shredded chicken (use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken to save time)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I used medium heat)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) salsa, divided (I used a chunky medium heat and recommend a chunkier salsa; use less if yours is thinner)
- 8 flour or corn tortillas (I used flour)
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (Monterey Jack, cheddar, etc.)
- cilantro, black olives, green chiles, optional and to taste
- sour cream, guacamole, salsa, optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. To a large bowl, add the chicken, Greek yogurt or sour cream, taco seasoning, 1 1/2 cups salsa, and stir to combine; set aside.
- To an 9×9-inch baking pan or similar (I used an 8×11-inch baking dish), add the remaining 1/2 cup salsa and spread evenly.
- Place half the tortillas on top of the salsa in baking pan.
- Top with half of the chicken mixture, half of the tomatoes, half of the cheese, and any optional ingredients.
- Repeat layering process using remaining ingredients (tortillas, chicken mixture, tomatoes, cheese, optional ingredients). Tip – At this point you can wrap in foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days before baking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly golden. Optionally top with sour cream, guacamole, or salsa prior to serving. Dish will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups! So fun!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn’t taste like health food!
Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese & baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection! Always a hit at parties and great for game days!
Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries – One of my most popular recipes in 2012 and 2013!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan, GF) – Ready in minutes and under 300 calories!
Do-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Loaded Guacamole Nachos – Fresh, easy homemade guac on top of cheesy chips is totally irresistible!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!