Chicken Enchilada Bake — In this chicken enchilada bake, instead of rolling tortillas, you cut them up and layer them in a baking pan with chicken, tomatoes, cheese, and more!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Bake Recipe
I love Mexican food and could eat it everyday. Making meals out of guacamole, salsa, and chips is one of my favorite things. But my family needs a little more, and that’s where this easy enchilada casserole that’s ready in 30 minutes comes in.
It’s not like traditional enchiladas where you have to carefully fill and roll up each tortilla individually. Instead, you simply stir together shredded chicken (use store-bought rotisserie or leftover chicken to save time) with sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning.
Then you cut up tortillas and layer them in a baking pan with the chicken mixture, tomatoes, and cheese. All the layers of goodness remind me of lasagna but with a Mexican flair.
There’s so much flavor and just a touch of heat from the salsa and taco seasoning. I used medium heat, but you can go as hot or mild as you like. The juicy tomatoes and gooey melted cheese with the soft tortilla shells make this an instant comfort food family favorite that would also be great for game days or parties.
What’s in This Chicken Enchilada Bake?
For this easy chicken enchilada casserole, you’ll need:
- Cooked, shredded chicken
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Taco seasoning
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Bake
In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, yogurt, taco seasoning, and salsa. Add a little more salsa to the bottom of a 9×9-inch baking dish, then add a layer of tortillas on top. Spoon half the chicken mixture onto the tortillas, then continue this layering process.
Bake this chicken enchilada casserole for roughly 20 minutes, or until the cheese begins to bubble. You can serve your chicken enchilada bake with your toppings of choice — guac, salsa, and sour cream would all be tasty choices!
Can I Make This Chicken Enchilada Casserole in Advance?
Yes, you can prep this up to two days in advance and bake it off when you’re ready for an easy make-ahead meal. And you’ll likely have planned leftovers. A double win.
Can I Add Extra Ingredients to the Filling?
Go for it! This enchilada casserole recipe is really flexible, so you can add almost anything you want to the filling. Olives, green chilies, black beans, and corn would all work. Just avoid using veggies that need a lot of time to cook (like diced sweet potatoes or something similar). The time this enchilada bake spends in the oven is really just to heat it through since none of the ingredients I’ve listed require actual cooking.
Tips for Making Chicken Enchilada Bake
You can use either flour or corn tortillas for this recipe. Any size tortilla works, but if they’re really big you’ll need to shred them up to fit the pan.
If you prefer your enchilada casserole with a bit of a kick, use spicy taco seasoning or add a few dashes of Mexican hot sauce to the chicken mixture.
To round out this meal, serve it with a simple side salad, steamed veggies, chips and guac or salsa — or nothing at all! This is a filling dish that has pretty much everything you’d want already in it.
Pin This Recipe
- 2 heaping cups cooked and shredded chicken (use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken to save time)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I used medium heat)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) salsa, divided (I used a chunky medium heat and recommend a chunkier salsa; use less if yours is thinner)
- 8 flour or corn tortillas (I used flour)
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (Monterey Jack, cheddar, etc.)
- cilantro, black olives, green chiles, optional and to taste
- sour cream, guacamole, salsa, optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. To a large bowl, add the chicken, Greek yogurt or sour cream, taco seasoning, 1 1/2 cups salsa, and stir to combine; set aside.
- To an 9×9-inch baking pan or similar (I used an 8×11-inch baking dish), add the remaining 1/2 cup salsa and spread evenly.
- Place half the tortillas on top of the salsa in baking pan.
- Top with half of the chicken mixture, half of the tomatoes, half of the cheese, and any optional ingredients.
- Repeat layering process using remaining ingredients (tortillas, chicken mixture, tomatoes, cheese, optional ingredients). Tip – At this point you can wrap in foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days before baking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly golden. Optionally top with sour cream, guacamole, or salsa prior to serving. Dish will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 847Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 440mgCarbohydrates: 136gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g
More Easy Mexican Recipes:
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas — Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy, and tastes amazing!
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema — A healthy meal that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying, and doesn’t taste like health food!
Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa — Ready in minutes and under 300 calories!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Fajitas — These Easy Chicken Fajitas take just 30 minutes to make and are the perfect weeknight dinner. Friends and family will go crazy for this recipe!
Loaded Beef Taco Salad with Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing — This taco salad is loaded with crisp romaine lettuce, sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, and more! It comes together in just 20 minutes and is topped with the most incredible cilantro lime dressing.
Cheesy Beef Taco Pie — In this taco pie, a crescent roll crust is topped with a mixture of crushed tortilla chips, ground beef, tomatoes, sour cream, and loads of glorious cheese! It’s the ultimate Mexican comfort food!
Skinny Mexican Bean and Corn Salad — Two kinds of beans, juicy corn and tomatoes, crisp peppers, and green onions are tossed in a lime-chili-cumin vinaigrette that’s perfectly light. Add chicken to make it a meal!