Egg-in-a-Hole Avocado Toast — Slathering warm egg in a hole toast with a creamy chive and lime-scented avocado spread is beyond DELICIOUS!! This avocado toast with egg is EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect ANYTIME!!
This post is brought to you by Albertsons.
Easy Avocado Toast with Egg
Egg in a hole is one of the oldest ways to prepare eggs and toast. I think mothers everywhere have made it at least once. Or 726 times. But egg in a hole is fun, never goes out of style, and the extra bread round is always a highly coveted item.
And in case you missed it, avocado toast seems to be one of the trendiest ways to eat toast.
For my birthday dinner this year, I went out to a swanky restaurant downtown San Diego and ordered two orders of (very overpriced) avocado toast and fought over every last bite with my family. The birthday girl won, but I digress.
Since I love avocados, you don’t have to twist my arm to eat them in any way, shape, or form. But, they’re especially good on avocado toast. The warm toast softens the avocado and makes them even creamier. So what happens when you marry egg in a hole with avocado toast?
For this easy avocado with egg toast mashup, I married what’s old and what’s new. This easy, 15-minute creation is the most delicious and satisfying breakfast, lunch, snack, or brinner. A soft runny egg yolk with bread that’s lightly buttered and golden browned before smearing it with lime and chive-scented avocado.
So scrumptious and I have literally made it every day for the past week because my daughter begs for it daily.
What’s in Avocado Toast with Egg?
To make this avocado and egg toast recipe, you’ll need:
- Lime juice
- Fresh chives
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Artisan-style bread
- Unsalted butter
Just for U Mobile Savings App
For the ingredients, I went to my local San Diego Albertsons store and before I went to the store I downloaded the newly launched just for U. It’s an easy-to-use mobile savings tool and I love that there are no coupons to clip.
I was able to save money on eggs and bread as well as other things that I buy all the time from Cheerios and canned tomatoes to broccoli and zucchini. Just for U provides customized deals on groceries and offers are based on purchase history so you can save more on what you actually buy and use.
And the app shows you what’s on sale that week, like this bread.
I noticed that there were coupons for me based on things I buy repeatedly as well as one-time purchases. Make sure to check out the app before every shopping trip and you’ll get new savings each week.
You can find over $300 in weekly savings on groceries through digital coupons and personalized offers on top of great in-store prices and deals. That’s music to my ears.
How to Make Avocado Toast with Egg
Before making the egg in a hole toast, you first need to prepare the creamy avocado spread. Mash together the avocado, lime juice, chives, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
Then, cut a 2.5- to 3-inch circle from the center of each bread slice. Add the butter to a skillet and place the bread and bread rounds in it. Cook until golden on one side, then flip.
Crack eggs into each piece of toast and continue cooking until done to your liking. Once the eggs are cooked, remove the egg in a holes from the skillet, then spread the avocado mixture around the edges of the egg toast.
How Do I Know When the Eggs Are Done?
It depends on how runny you like your egg yolks. You’ll need to cover the skillet and cook the eggs for roughly 3 to 6 minutes.
Tips for Making Avocado Toast with Egg
I use a fork to make the avocado mash and like to leave some chunks in the mixture. It adds extra texture to this egg toast!
Thicker bread works best for making egg in a hole toast. Sometimes it’s called ‘Texas toast’ or ‘French toast’ toast, but any thick-cut bread will work.
On days when you’re in a rush, simply fry up the eggs and place on top of the avocado toast. The presentation isn’t as nice, but the flavor is still good!
Pin This Recipe
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 slices artisan-style bread (thicker bread works best and is sometimes called ‘Texas toast’ or ‘French toast’ toast)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To a medium bowl, add the avocado, lime juice, chives, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, coarsely mash the avocado with a fork and toss with a fork to combine (I prefer to keep mine on the chunkier side); set aside.
- Cut a 2.5 to 3-inch circle from the center of each bread slice with a cookie cutter or glass.
- To a large non-stick skillet, add the butter, and heat over medium-low heat to melt.
- Add the bread, bread rounds, and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Flip everything, crack one egg into the hole of each piece of bread, and season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Cover pan and cook until eggs are as set as desired, about 3 to 6 minutes. The bread rounds will cook faster than the eggs (in about 1 to 2 minutes); remove them from the skillet as soon as they’re golden browned and place on a plate. Remove egg-in-a-holes and place on the plate.
- Evenly spread the avocado mixture over the bread and bread rounds and serve immediately. Recipe is best warm and fresh.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 217mgSodium: 1173mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes:
Healthy Mexican Breakfast Bowl — Say hello to this high protein, lower-carb meal that’s EASY, ready in 5 minutes, naturally vegetarian and gluten-free, and so TASTY!!
Skinny Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins – Fast, EASY, one bowl, no mixer muffins that are on the SKINNIER side!! Loaded with CHOCOLATE in every bite! Soft, fluffy, and deliciously decadent tasting!!
Fruit and Granola Yogurt Bowls – Get ready for the BEST tasting vegan yogurt topped with fresh fruit, granola, chia seeds, and more!! So much YUMMIER than a piece of toast for breakfast!!
100-Calorie Cheesy Sausage and Egg Muffins – Low-carb baked egg muffins that are loaded with juicy sausage and cheese!
PB&J Granola (Whole Foods Copycat) — The granola is very chewy, a little bit gooey, slightly crunchy, and highly addictive. It’s a one-bowl, no mixer, easy recipe.
Loaded Southwestern Scramble — This southwestern scramble is easy, ready in 10 minutes, hearty, and packed with layers of flavors and textures.
Post is brought to you by Albertsons. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Companies. The opinions and text are all mine.