My refrigerator could be confused as a small cheese shop because at any given time I have at least 20 types of cheese.
Multiple different types of blue and brie, aged cheddar, white cheddar, extra sharp cheddar, gouda, gorgonzola, goat, mozzarella, parmesan, pecorino, swiss, and on it goes. And I can’t help myself from buying new kinds.
If you love cheese as much as I do, you’re going to love this very easy and extra cheesy tortellini bake that’s ready in 30 minutes.
I boiled three-cheese tortellini (parmesan, pecorino, and ricotta) and as soon as they were done, I put them in a bowl with a big dollop of mascarpone cheese and let it melt. It seeps into the crevices of the tortellini and is so wonderful.
If you’ve never worked with mascarpone cheese, sometimes called Italian cream cheese, it’s reminiscent of very well-softened American cream cheese, but it’s smoother, lighter, and more heavenly. You could probably get away with using regular cream cheese although I haven’t tried it.
The mascarpone-coated tortellini are tossed with pasta sauce and topped with parmesan and mozzarella before being baked to golden, bubbly perfection.
You can prep it up to 2 days in advance and bake it off when you’re ready. It makes a good-sized batch which is great for planned leftovers. And the leftovers freeze well for busy nights when pulling something from the freezer is a lifesaver.
Pin This Recipe
- one-20 ounce package (1 pound 4 ounces) three-cheese tortellini (spinach, sausage, etc. tortellini may be substituted), cooked according to package directions
- 1/3 cup (about 3 ounces) mascarpone cheese, softened to room temp
- 2 cups red pasta sauce (I used a basil-infused sauce)
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) mozzarella cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian flat-left parsley or fresh basil, finely minced for garnishing, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions, drain, transfer to a large bowl, add the mascarpone, and stir to encourage the mascarpone to melt. Stir until all mascarpone has melted and tortellini are evenly coated.
- Add the pasta sauce and stir to coat evenly.
- Transfer tortellini and any sauce to an 8×8-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Evenly sprinkle the parmesan cheese.
- Evenly sprinkle the mozzarella cheese. If desired, cover with foil and at this point you can refrigerate for up to 2 days before baking or bake now.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F, and bake uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and as lightly golden browned and bubbly as desired. Prior to serving, optionally garnish with parsley or basil. Serve immediately. Extra tortellini will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months. Reheat leftovers gently as necessary.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 813mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
Three Cheese Baked Ziti – Mozzarella, fontina, and parmesan melted together are divine!! An easy, make-ahead meal that’s also freezer-friendly and so tasty!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake – All the flavors of your favorite enchiladas, minus the work! Easy, ready in 30 minutes, and you can prep it in advance to save time on busy weeknights or before a big event!
Garden Fresh Tortellini Pasta Salad – Juicy tomatoes, cucumbers and corn with creamy avocado, basil and parmesan tossed in lemon vinaigrette with cheese tortellini! Healthy, easy, ready in 15 minutes!
Lightened Up Cheesy Quinoa Lasagna Bake (vegetarian/vegan, GF) – This meatless & noodle-less lasagna is hearty, comforting, and healthier so you can enjoy your favorite comfort food without worry!
Easy 30-Minute Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese – Classic mac and cheese the whole family will love! The creamy, cheesy comfort food you crave!! So much better than anything out of a box and just as easy!!
Easy 20-Minute Lighter Fettucine Alfredo – The creamy and cheesy taste you crave minus the extra fat and calories! A fast and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights that everyone loves!
Easy 30-Minute Stovetop Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese – The pumpkin flavor is subtle compared to the super cheesy and creamy factor! The pumpkin boosts the cheesiness to a whole new level everyone loves!
Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks – Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge!