Cheesy Chicken Artichoke Pasta Bake — Imagine spinach and artichoke-flavored PASTA spiked with juicy chicken, red peppers, and TWO types of melted cheese!! A family favorite big-batch COMFORT FOOD PANTRY RECIPE that’s great for meal prepping!!
Chicken Spinach Artichoke Pasta Bake
If you like spinach and artichoke dip, you’re going to be a big fan of this easy comfort food that’s hearty, satisfying, and tastes so darn good.
Juicy bites of chicken, spinach, artichokes, and fire-roasted red peppers are nestled within al dente bowtie pasta before being layered with both Monterey Jack and Parmesan cheese.
I loved how the melted cheese draped over the artichokes hearts and those bites reminded me of spinach and artichoke dip, minus any gloppiness because there’s no sour cream or mayo in this recipe.
What’s in the Chicken Artichoke Pasta Bake?
For this spinach artichoke chicken pasta bake, you’ll need:
- Bowtie pasta
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh spinach
- Artichoke hearts (I used frozen)
- Roasted red peppers
- Monterrey Jack and Parmesan cheese
How to Make Chicken Artichoke Pasta Bake
Cook the pasta until al dente. While it’s cooking, saute the diced chicken in an oiled skillet until done. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Once the pasta is finished cooking, simply combine everything in a 9×13-inch baking dish, top with cheese, and bake until golden on top!
What Kind Of Artichokes To Use?
I used a 12-ounce bag of Trader Joe’s frozen artichoke hearts that I allowed to thaw and drained the minimal amount of water that was released after they came to room temp.
You could also use oil-packed artichokes which are typically marinated in salt and seasonings. The frozen artichokes that I used are plain Jane and super healthy, but use what you prefer and can find.
Do I Have to Use Roasted Red Peppers?
I used a 12-ounce jar of fire-roasted red peppers, also from Trader Joe’s, that I drained and diced small.
If you can’t get your hands on fire-roasted red peppers or want to use a fresh red bell pepper, that’s fine too. I would use half of one, diced small, and saute it with the chicken.
Can I Use Frozen Spinach?
I used fresh, and one thing I see pretty consistently are the big bags of fresh spinach and that’s what I recommend. However, if all you can get your hands on is frozen, go ahead and use it. Thaw and drain it very well first, and add it to taste.
Can This Recipe Be Meal Prepped?
Yes! This is a great meal prep recipe because not only does it make 12 servings, you can also freeze them for later. Having a freezer stash can save dinner on those unforeseen really hectic weeknights.
Or make this for your next big family dinner, entertaining event, party, or potluck. This is a slam dunk family-favorite type recipe between the pasta, chicken, and cheese.
It tastes just fine being served at room temp so it’s a great party dish that people can graze by and help themselves, again and again.
Tips for Making Chicken and Artichoke Pasta Bake
Even though there are a few different steps to this recipe, while one thing is going — like boiling the pasta — you can be working on the next step — like sautéing the chicken — so that the final dish is ready in 30 minutes.
I kept the artichokes whole for a couple reasons. First, because I wanted to both see and chomp down into big hearty bites of artichoke since I love them so much.
And secondly, when you halve artichokes like the ones I used (frozen and unseasoned), they immediately start to fall apart, akin to halving a Brussels sprout and the layers just keep unraveling.
Since I wanted big hearty bites of artichoke, I knew that keeping them whole so that they didn’t fall apart into little fragments was best for my goal. However, dice them into smaller pieces if you prefer.
Also for people who don’t like artichokes like my daughter? They can pick out the artichokes very easily if you keep them whole.
Pin This Recipe
- 1 pound bowtie pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained (rotini, fusilli, penne, ziti, small shells, or a small-shaped pasta may be substituted)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if necessary
- 1.75 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, or to taste, plus more if desired
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 4 heaping handfuls)
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts (I used previously frozen that I thaw, drain, and keep whole; dice them if you prefer)
- one 12-ounce jar fire-roasted red bell peppers, drained and diced small (another red pepper variety may be substituted or use half of a fresh red bell pepper diced small and cook it with the chicken)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (Pepper Jack or mozzarella may be substituted)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, optional for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400F, spray a 4 1/2 quart casserole dish (or something that is equivalent to least a high-sided 9x13-inch baking dish because this makes a lot of food) with cooking spray, cook pasta according to package directions, drain, return pasta to pot; set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, to a large skillet add 4 tablespoons olive oil, chicken, generously season with salt and pepper, Italian seasoning (I call for 1 tablespoon not teaspoon because this is ultimately flavoring a big recipe but reduce to taste if desired), and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is done; stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir nearly constantly.
- Add the chicken and any cooking juices to the large pot with the pasta, and add the spinach, artichokes, red peppers, and stir to combine. Drizzle in more olive oil, as necessary, if it seems at all dry. Spinach will begin to wilt momentarily. Taste mixture and if desired, add more salt, pepper, or Italian seasoning.
- Turn mixture out into prepared casserole dish, evenly sprinkle with the Monterey Jack, and bake for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is just beginning to turn light golden brown.
- Remove casserole dish from the oven, evenly sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes OR broil on High for 2 minutes, or until cheese is as golden browned as desired; keep a very close eye on it if you're broiling so you don't burn it.
- Optionally garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 341Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
More Chicken Pasta Recipes:
Chicken Parmesan Pasta Casserole – A hearty comfort food casserole that includes juicy chicken, pasta, marinara, the BEST crispy buttery breadcrumb topping and TWO types of cheese!!
Lemon Pepper Chicken Pasta — EASY and ready in 15 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, and there is so much ZESTY flavor from the lemon, basil, and spinach!! A family favorite that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Parmesan Chicken and Spinach Pasta – EASY and ready in 20 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, a hint of lemon, and the PERFECT amount of Parmesan!! Great for busy weeknights and the extra is good for meal prepping!!
Chicken and Pasta with Asparagus and Tomatoes – EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and the asparagus, tomatoes, and basil keep this chicken and pasta recipe tasting LIGHTER and FRESHER!! Perfect for picnics, potlucks, and busy weeknight dinners!!
Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Chicken – A healthier twist on chicken parmesan because there’s NO breaded chicken!! Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and loaded with FLAVOR! A guaranteed hit that’ll be in your regular dinner rotation!!
Parmesan Pesto Chicken Penne — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and every piece of tender chicken and pasta is coated in fresh pesto sauce and parmesan cheese!!
Lemon Butter Garlic Chicken Pasta — Buttery pasta with juicy chicken, flavored with lemon butter and garlic, and finished with Parmesan cheese!!