Lemon Butter Garlic Chicken Pasta — Buttery pasta with juicy chicken, flavored with lemon butter and garlic, and finished with Parmesan cheese!! A family-friendly dinner recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes and it’s so EASY!!
Easiest Chicken Pasta Dish
This family-friendly comfort food recipe is easy, ready in no time, and the penne pasta is perfectly al dente and wonderfully buttery.
The chicken is tender, juicy, and has so much flavor from the garlic and fresh parsley. Lemon adds a wonderful brightness to the dish and we all know anything tossed in butter, especially lemony butter, automatically tastes great.
I finished the lemon garlic chicken pasta recipe with a handful of freshly shaved Parmesan cheese because obviously there wasn’t enough fat going on after the lemon butter. Kidding.
This recipe is the chicken spinoff to my Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp with Angel Hair Pasta, which has been a reader favorite since 2014.
What’s in Lemon Butter Chicken Pasta?
To make this lemon garlic chicken pasta, you only need a handful of common fridge and pantry ingredients, including:
- Penne pasta (or another small-shaped pasta like bowtie, ziti, or small shells)
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Lemon Chicken Pasta
Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, add the olive oil and chicken to a skillet, and sauté until the chicken is about halfway cooked through.
Add the garlic, butter, lemon juice, and allow the chicken to finish cooking through in what becomes a wonderfully fragrant garlic-infused lemon butter sauce.
Toss the cooked pasta in, stir well, add fresh parsley, Parmesan, and voila, you’ve got yourself an easy and hearty meal.
Tips for Making This Chicken and Pasta Recipe
I kept this recipe super simple, but you’re welcome to add your choice of veggies to it. Spinach would wilt down beautifully at the very end of the cooking time, or you can add finely diced zucchini, broccoli, or green beans near the beginning.
Cook the pasta just until al dente, otherwise it’ll be too mushy and won’t hold its own next to the chicken.
This chicken pasta recipe keeps in the fridge for up to five days if stored in an air-tight container or in the freezer for up to 4 months. However, because it makes a big batch, it’s nice to be able to freeze the leftovers for future days when you may need a grab-and-go lunch or dinner.
Pin This Recipe
Lemon Butter Garlic Chicken Pasta
Lemon Butter Garlic Chicken Pasta - Buttery pasta with juicy chicken, flavored with lemon butter and garlic, and finished with Parmesan cheese!! A family-friendly dinner recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes and it’s so EASY!!
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked according to package directions (another small-shaped pasta such as ziti, rotini, small elbow, etc. may be substituted)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1+ teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1+ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temp if possible
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely minced
- 1/2 cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside. While pasta is cooking, being cooking the chicken.
- To a large, high-sided skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, evenly and generously season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping and stirring frequently so the chicken cooks evenly.
- When chicken has cooked through about halfway, add the garlic, and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant, stir nearly consistently.
- Add the butter, lemon juice, and stir nearly continuously until butter melts and chicken is cooked through, another 5 minutes, or as necessary.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the chicken and stir well to combine and coat evenly.
- Add the parsley and stir to combine.
- Evenly sprinkle the Parmesan and stir to combine if desired (or keep it on top without stirring it in as shown in my photos). Taste and check for seasoning balance and if necessary add more salt and/or pepper before serving. Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 41g
More Chicken Pasta Recipes:
Parmesan Chicken and Spinach Pasta – EASY and ready in 20 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, a hint of lemon, and the PERFECT amount of Parmesan!! Great for busy weeknights and the extra is good for meal prepping!!
Pesto Parmesan Chicken and Pasta – EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and every piece of tender chicken and pasta is coated in fresh pesto sauce and parmesan cheese!! Great for easy weeknight dinners, planned leftovers, or for parties because it feeds a crowd!!
Lemon Pepper Chicken Pasta — EASY and ready in 15 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, and there is so much ZESTY flavor from the lemon, basil, and spinach!! A family favorite that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Asiago Chicken and Pasta – EASY comfort food to feed a crowd that’s ready in 25 minutes!! Tender chicken and penne pasta with red peppers, green beans, and everything is coated with Asiago CHEESE for the family dinner win!!
Honey Lemon Chicken Pasta – Ready in 20 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight meal! Pair with a simple salad or veggies and extra lemon wedges to amp up the lemon flavor. Your family will love this easy pasta recipe!
Skinny Italian Chicken Pasta Salad – EASY, ready in 30 minutes, feeds a crowd, and is on the SKINNY side!! Juicy chicken, fresh veggies, and the pasta are tossed in a light and tangy homemade Italian lemon vinaigrette!!
One-Bag Lemon Chicken and Pasta – An EASY lemon chicken and pasta recipe that’s family-friendly and perfect for busy weeknights!! Everything cooks in ONE bag! The chicken is juicy, the pasta is tender, and cleanup is a breeze!!
Chicken Asparagus Pasta — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and the asparagus, tomatoes, and basil keep this chicken and pasta recipe tasting LIGHTER and FRESHER!
I actually just made this for breakfast!Downsized the recipe since this was for a party of one. I did not have any lemon, so I added a splash of orange/tangerine juice instead. Also took your advice and added the green beans. Turned out very tasty, and much healthier than a pop tart breakfast.
Thanks for the 5 star review and glad that you were able to tweak this for your needs – and for breakfast, no less! That’s impressive!
I’ve made this numerous times since finding the recipe and I’m making it again tonight! My family loves it, my 16 year old son even said it’s his favorite meal so it’s a winner for sure 😄
Thank you for the 5 star review and glad that this is a new favorite and your 16 yr old said it’s his favorite meal!
This was great I used this as a base recipe to make shredded chicken and used it with rice casserole it was amazing. I will make this a staple chicken recipe!!
Lemon butter garlic chicken, you’re my next best friend. Thank you for all your recipes! Tammy
Thanks for the 5 star review and glad it is a new best friend!