Chicken and Pasta with Asparagus and Tomatoes
Chicken and Pasta with Asparagus and Tomatoes – EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and the asparagus, tomatoes, and basil keep this chicken and pasta recipe tasting LIGHTER and FRESHER!! Perfect for picnics, potlucks, and busy weeknight dinners!!
What’s In The Chicken and Pasta?
Spring is in the air (we hope) and there’s nothing better to ring in warmer weather with this lighter, fresher chicken and pasta recipe.
This is a very fast and easy recipe with a short ingredient list. You’ll probably have most everything on hand.
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- Rotini pasta (or a similar small-shaped pasta)
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
How To Make The Chicken and Pasta
Simply boil a pound of pasta and while that’s going, to a large skillet, sauté chicken before adding garlic, lemon juice, and asparagus.
Stir in the cooked pasta, tomatoes, basil, season with salt and pepper, and voila, you’re ready to dig in.
Optional Ingredient Ideas and Variations
This is an extremely flexible recipe and I really wanted to take advantage of asparagus while it’s seasonal, but if you don’t like asparagus, you can omit it.
You could add another green vegetable such as sugar snap peas or green beans.
Sliced bell peppers, broccoli or cauliflower florets, or green onions would all work too.
I used halved grape tomatoes although virtually any variety of diced tomato will be fine from heirloom to cherry to Roma.
Cheese is notably absent because I have a ton of pasta + chicken + cheese recipes and wanted to forego the cheese here. I was going for a lighter, spring and summery vibe with this one.
But a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan, Pecorino-Romano, or fresh mozzarella would all be lovely.
You could even stir in your favorite shredded cheese blend from a bag and it will melt into the warm pasta and chicken like a dream.
- 1 pound rotini, cooked according to package directions; drained (another small-shaped pasta such as ziti, wheels, small shells, penne, etc. may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if necessary at the end
- 1.25 to 1.50 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces; seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 pound bunch of asparagus, trimmed and diced into bite-sized segments (thinner asparagus is better than thicker here)
- 3/4 to 1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or to taste, chifonaded; loosely measured
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, as desired to taste
- To a large pot, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. While pasta cooks, continue by starting the chicken.
- To a very large high-sided skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, season with salt and pepper, and saute over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir constantly.
- Add the lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Add the asparagus, stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute, or just until al dente; don't overcook. The thinner the asparagus is, the faster it cooks. Thicker asparagus may take a bit longer to cook, 2 to 3 minutes, but take care not to over-cook the asparagus at this point because it will continue to cook after it's tossed with hot pasta.
- Add the pasta to the skillet with the chicken and asparagus, add the tomatoes, basil, and stir well to combine.
- Taste the dish and add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 553mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 32g
The Best Pasta Salad Recipes – There’s something for everyone in this collection of FAST and EASY pasta salad recipes!! Whether you need something to bring to a potluck or picnic, or are in need of a no-fuss weeknight meal the whole family will enjoy, these recipes have you covered!!
15 Skinny Chicken Dinners Ready in 15 Minutes – FAST, easy, gluten-free recipes on the SKINNIER side!! You won’t miss the fat and calories because there’s so much FLAVOR! Perfect for busy weeknights and there’s more than than just salads!!
15 Chicken Dinners Ready in 15 Minutes – EASY dinners that are ready in a flash and PERFECT for busy weeknights! DELISH, healthy, and guaranteed to please your toughest dinner critics!
20 Healthy Easy Dinner Recipes – Looking for healthy, easy recipes that taste GREAT and everyone in the family will love? Plenty of options here that you’ll want to put into your regular rotation!!
Parmesan Chicken and Spinach Pasta – EASY and ready in 20 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, a hint of lemon, and the PERFECT amount of Parmesan!! Great for busy weeknights and the extra is good for meal prepping!!
Lemon Pepper Basil Chicken and Pasta – EASY and ready in 15 minutes with comforting pasta, juicy chicken, and there is so much ZESTY flavor from the lemon, basil, and spinach!! A family favorite that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Pesto Parmesan Chicken and Pasta – EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and every piece of tender chicken and pasta is coated in fresh pesto sauce and parmesan cheese!! Great for easy weeknight dinners, planned leftovers, or for parties because it feeds a crowd!!
Asiago Chicken and Pasta – EASY comfort food to feed a crowd that’s ready in 25 minutes!! Tender chicken and penne pasta with red peppers, green beans, and everything is coated with Asiago CHEESE for the family dinner win!!
Honey Lemon Chicken Pasta – Ready in 20 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight meal! Pair with a simple salad or veggies and extra lemon wedges to amp up the lemon flavor. Your family will love this easy pasta recipe!
Skinny Italian Chicken Pasta Salad – EASY, ready in 30 minutes, feeds a crowd, and is on the SKINNY side!! Juicy chicken, fresh veggies, and the pasta are tossed in a light and tangy homemade Italian lemon vinaigrette!!
One-Bag Lemon Chicken and Pasta – An EASY lemon chicken and pasta recipe that’s family-friendly and perfect for busy weeknights!! Everything cooks in ONE bag! The chicken is juicy, the pasta is tender, and cleanup is a breeze!!