Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad
This post may contain affiliate links.
I can’t believe something so healthy tastes so good.
I’m normally indifferent to quinoa. I mean, it’s quinoa and usually not too earth-shattering. But I couldn’t stop eating this.
It’s a fast, easy dish that’s ready in 20 minutes and packed with big flavors and so much texture.
It happens to be accidentally vegan, gluten-free, with no added sugar, and very little oil or salt.
There’s sweet yellow onion to boost the flavor, chewy and slightly sweet sun-dried tomatoes, Fisher Natural Sliced Almonds for a satisfying crunch, and parsley to add color and a mild herb flavor.
Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and lemon zest really brighten up the dish up and beautifully complement the sun-dried tomatoes. I use dry rather than oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes to keep things healthier.
I use tri-colored quinoa and while I don’t think it tastes much different than white quinoa, I like the added color but use your favorite.
The salad is great right away but it’s a perfect make-ahead recipe because the flavors develop over time and I think it tastes better a day or two after making it. You can either serve it warm or cold and since there’s no mayo it’s a great salad for lunch boxes, picnics, potlucks, and parties.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- extra-large yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup quinoa (I use tri-colored)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (zest the lemon before juicing it)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (about 3 ounces), sliced thinly (I use dry rather than oil-packed but oil-packed may be drained and substituted)
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup Fisher Natural Sliced Almonds
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, or to taste
- To a large skillet or saucepan, add the olive oil, onions, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and just begun to barely brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and stir it into the onions and let it toast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice (zest the lemon before juicing it), salt, pepper, reduce the heat to low, cover pan, and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed. While it’s cooking, chop the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and add the sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, almonds, lemon zest, and stir to combine. Taste, check for seasoning balance, and if necessary add more salt, pepper, or possibly a pinch of sugar if you prefer it sweeter to balance the acids, or a pinch of cayenne adds heat. Dish can be served warm and immediately or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The flavors develop over time and tastes better a day or two after making it, and can either be served warm or cold.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 554mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier and lighter? Make this easy, refreshing and satisfying salad!
Tabbouleh – Never had it? Think couscous or quinoa mixed with vegetables, herbs, lemon and olive oil! Easy, no cooking required, healthy, and packed with so much flavor! (Great for outdoor events because there’s no mayo!)
Skinny Mayo-Less Cabbage Salad (vegan, GF) – This healthy coleslaw isn’t coated with gobs of mayo and you won’t miss it!
Smoky Chicken, Peppers, and Spinach Pasta Salad – Juicy chicken, crisp bell peppers and pasta with smoked paprika! Fast, easy, healthy and a hit with everyone! Great for picnics, potlucks, or easy weeknight dinners!
Edamame Feta Salad – Fast, easy, healthy, and packed with bigtime texture and bold flavors! Easily adaptable based on what’s in your fridge!! Healthy never tasted so good!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado!! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Chicken Teriyaki and Vegetable Bowtie Pasta – Juicy chicken coated in teriyaki sauce with crisp, crunchy veggies! Healthy, easy, 20 minute meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Sweet and Sour Zucchini Corn Salad – Packed with big, bold flavors and tons of crunch! Healthy, light and not just another salad!
Green Powerhouse Salad with Sesame-Ginger Vinaigrette (vegan, GF) – Want to feel better, stronger, healthier? This salad does wonders!
Skinny Broccoli and Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry – Skip takeout and make your own fast, easy, and healthy stir fry! Think of all the money and calories you’ll save!
Chinese Chicken Pasta Salad – Big juicy chicken chunks and texture galore from the rainbow of crispy veggies! Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! Great for picnics, potlucks, and easy dinners!
BLT Chopped Salad with Homemade Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing – Fast, fresh, healthy and satisfying! Packed with so much flavor!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Post is brought to you by Fisher. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. #ThinkFisher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.