Loaded Holiday M&M’s Cookie Bars — These M&M’s cookie bars are packed with holiday M&M’s and crushed Oreos. This is an easy, one-bowl holiday dessert your family will love!
Loaded Christmas Bar Cookies
These M&M’s cookie bars are famous. Well, maybe not these exact bars but the original recipe is. The original recipe has been Pinned over 1 million times and appeared on the cover of Taste of Home Magazine in 2014.
I made the original recipe on a whim because I was moving and had a half package of both Oreos and M&M’s open, didn’t want to move them, didn’t want to toss them, made the bars, and the rest is history.
This cookie bars recipe is a spinoff on my trusty blondie base. When I want an easy, fuss-free, one-bowl, no-mixer recipe that I know everyone will love, it’s my go-to. With 30+ versions and counting, it never lets me down.
It’s an easy recipe to memorize because everything is ‘one’. In the 1 bowl used, melt 1 stick of butter, stir in 1 egg, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1 cup flour. For this version, there’s Oreos and M&M’s added.
I was on the hunt for red or green-filled seasonal Oreos but was just a bit too early when I made the bars a few weeks back. I think mint M&M’s or mint Oreos would be a great touch here as well.
These M&M’s cookie bars are loaded with goodies in every bite. Crunchy Oreos and crisp M&M’s are a great texture contrast to the soft, buttery bars.
What’s in M&M’s Cookie Bars?
To make these easy cookie bars, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Oreo cookies
How to Make M&M’s Cookie Bars
Melt the butter, then stir in the egg, vanilla, and brown sugar. Stir in the dry ingredients, then gently fold in the M&M’s and chopped Oreos.
Turn the batter into a greased 8×8-inch baking dish and bake until the top is set in the center and done. The toothpick test is a bit tricky because there aren’t many bare batches, but if you hit a patch of just dough, the toothpick should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
Place pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 90 minutes before slicing and serving.
Want to see how to make cookie bars? Watch the video!
Can I Add Other Mix-Ins?
Of course! You can add other chopped holiday candies and chocolates to these M&M’s cookie bars.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Yes, simply double the ingredients and bake these cookie bars in a 9×13-inch pan.
Tips for Making M&M’s Cookie Bars
You just need to roughly chop the Oreos for these M&M’s cookie bars. You want them to be big enough to bite into, but not so big that you’re trying to chew half an Oreo at once.
I made this recipe as Christmas bar cookies, but you can make these bars for any holiday. Just switch out the holiday M&M’s for whatever color you’d like. You can even add seasonal Oreos to the mix, if desired.
These M&M’s cookie bars can be kept on your counter for a few days, or you can pop them into a freezer bag and freeze them for later. They’re a great treat to have stashed in the freezer for last-minute guests this time of year!
Pin This Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 18 Oreo cookies, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup M&M’s (I used Dark Chocolate Red and Green M&M’s)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large, microwave-safe bowl add the butter and heat to melt, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Add the Oreos and stir to combine.
- Add the M&M’s and stir to combine.
- Turn the batter out into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula and pushing it into the corners. Tip – Strategically place a few Oreos and M&M’s on top for visual appeal.
- Bake for about 18 to 21 minutes, or until top is set in center and done; don’t overbake. Bars firm up as they cool. A toothpick test is a bit tricky because there aren’t many bare batches, but if you hit a patch of just dough, the toothpick should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
- Place pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 90 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Recipe adapted from Loaded M&M's Oreo Cookie Bars.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 37gProtein: 3g
More Cookie Bars:
Holiday Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting — The bars are buttery soft in the middle with a bit of chewiness around the edges and have nice texture from the baked-in sprinkles.
Loaded M&M Oreo Cookie Bars — Stuffed to the max with M&Ms and Oreos! Easy, no-mixer recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes. Always a hit at parties!
Snickerdoodle Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting — Snickerdoodle bars are so much FASTER AND EASIER than making snickerdoodle cookies!! The sprinkles and tangy cream cheese frosting will put everyone in the holiday spirit!!
M&M’S Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars — Soft buttery bars loaded with M&M’S and chocolate chips are a guaranteed hit! Fast, easy, foolproof, no mixer recipe that’s so much simpler than making cookies!
Triple Peanut Butter Monster Cookie Bars – Peanut butter is use 3 different ways! Peanut butter lovers will go nuts for these!
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars — A FAST and EASY dessert that is on the HEALTHIER side with only 1/4 cup butter and no oil!! Bold banana flavor, chewiness from the oats, and plenty of chocolate in every bite!!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars — These peanut butter chocolate bars are loaded with chocolate chips and creamy peanut butter. This is a one-bowl dessert you’re bound to love!