I loved this dinner because it was fast, easy, and there was zero cleanup.
My family loved the moist and juicy barbecue chicken and the tender, roasted potatoes. They said it was the best barbecue chicken I’ve ever made and it was so easy. It’s definitely going into our dinner rotation.
The olive oil that coats the sweet potatoes mixes with the barbecue sauce run-off from the chicken during baking so the potatoes are coated in a glorious sauce. I want that sauce on everything.
It doesn’t get much easier than chopping up potatoes, drizzling with olive oil, and placing chicken thighs marinated in your favorite barbecue sauce on a baking sheet. Since I lined it with foil, cleanup was as easy as tossing away the foil.
I used two sweet potatoes and one Russet potato because that’s what I had on hand. You can mix and match using your favorite potatoes. Make sure to cut them small enough so they cook through in the same amount of time it takes the chicken to cook.
I recommend 1/2-inch pieces. I used a sweeter, mildly spicy, Carolina Gold barbecue sauce but you can go as bold, spicy, and smoky as you like.
Pin This Recipe
One-Pan Barbecue Chicken and Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 pounds total)
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce, or as needed to marinate and coat chicken (I used a sweeter, mildly spicy, Carolina Gold version)
- 3 large potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces and peeled if desired (I used 2 peeled sweet potatoes and 1 unpeeled Russet potato)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup; set aside.
- Place chicken thighs in a large ziptop bag, cover with barbecue sauce, seal, and smoosh chicken to coat evenly; set aside to marinate while you prep the potatoes.
- To the prepared baking sheet, add the potatoes in an even, flat layer. Evenly drizzle with olive oil, evenly sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly.
- Add the chicken thighs (skin-side up) over the top of the potatoes. Spoon marinade from the ziptop bag over the top of each piece of chicken for a thick and generous coating. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken registers an internal temp of 165F. Exact cooking times will vary based on size of chicken thighs and potatoes. Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently as necessary.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs – Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a sweet-and-tangy sauce!! Great for parties or easy weeknight dinners!
Sweet and Tangy Jerk Chicken with Caramelized Pineapple and Mango – Easy and ready in 15 minutes! Dinner that tastes like a tropical vacation is a guaranteed hit!
Smoky Chicken, Peppers, and Spinach Pasta Salad – Juicy chicken, crisp bell peppers and pasta with smoked paprika! Fast, easy, healthy and a hit with everyone!! Great for picnics, potlucks, or easy weeknight dinners!
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip – The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!!
Baked Thick-Cut Seasoned Oven Fries (vegan, GF) – Learn the secrets to creating restaurant-style oven fries! They’re baked rather than fried so you can have extra!
Lemon Rosemary Coconut Oil Roasted Vegetables (vegan, GF) – Roasted with coconut oil and the lemon and rosemary makes them pop!
Cinnamon Sugar and Ginger Roasted Potato Sticks (vegan, GF)
Lemon and Dill Roasted Potato Sticks (vegan, GF)
Caribbean Citrus Roasted Sweet Potatoes (vegan, GF)
Cheese, Black Beans, and Corn-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Avocado Crema (vegan, GF) – A healthy meal that’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, satisfying and doesn’t taste like health food!
Parmesan and Herb Roasted Potatoes – Easiest potatoes ever and packed with so much flavor! Olive oil, herbs, and everything is better with cheese!