Ravioli and Summer Vegetable Spinach Salad
Salads can sometimes be boring but I promise you this isn’t one of them.
Nor is it the kind of salad you eat and are ready to start snacking two hours later.
On top of a bed of spinach there’s lightly sautéed yellow summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, chickpeas, and ravioli.
The veggies are crisp-tender and add texture and flavor, the chickpeas boost the protein content, and the ravioli adds the warm, comfort food touch that keeps you satisfied.
The ingredients are flexible based on your favorites and what you have on hand. Substitute romaine or your favorite greens rather than spinach. Try butternut squash or sweet potatoes instead of the more summery veggies I incorporated. I used cheese ravioli but use what kind you enjoy most.
The dijon-based vinaigrette is light and doesn’t weigh down the salad but still packs plenty of flavor in this accidentally healthy vegetarian dish.
Ravioli and Summer Vegetable Spinach Salad
On top of a bed of spinach there’s lightly sautéed yellow summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, chickpeas, and ravioli. The veggies add texture and flavor, the chickpeas boost the protein content, and the ravioli adds the warm, comfort food touch that keeps you satisfied. The ingredients are flexible based on your favorites and what you have on hand. The dijon-based vinaigrette is light and doesn’t weigh down the salad but still packs plenty of flavor in this accidentally healthy vegetarian dish.
- one 9-ounce package refrigerated cheese-filled ravioli (or your favorite ravioli)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced into small pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into small pieces
- one 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced into small pieces (or your favorite tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely minced (regular or Italian flat-leaf)
- about 4 cups fresh spinach, loosely measured
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Salad – Cook ravioli according to package directions, drain; set aside.
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, yellow squash, zucchini, chickpeas, thyme, salt, pepper, and cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables have softened slightly but are still crisp-tender, about 5 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute; stir intermittently.
- Turn off the heat and add the tomatoes, parsley, and stir to combine; set aside.
- To a large platter, add the spinach and top with the ravioli, the vegetables and chickpeas; set aside while you make the vinaigrette.
- Vinaigrette – To a medium bowl, add all ingredients, whisk to combine, and taste for seasoning balance. Make any necessary tweaks, i.e. more salt, pepper, sugar, etc. Evenly drizzle vinaigrette over salad as desired and serve immediately. Salad is best fresh. Extra vinaigrette will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Garden Fresh Tortellini Pasta Salad – Juicy tomatoes, cucumbers and corn with creamy avocado, basil and parmesan tossed in lemon vinaigrette with cheese tortellini! Healthy, easy, ready in 15 minutes!
Italian Chicken Pasta Salad – Easy, ready in 20 minutes, and healthy! Bursting with fresh flavors from juicy tomatoes, cucumber, basil, parmesan, and tender chicken tossed in a tangy lemon vinaigrette!
Kale Caesar Salad with Fried Chickpeas – A fresh spin on Caesar salad with an easy, whisk-together dressing loaded with bold flavor! You won’t miss croutons when you’ve got crispy, crunchy fried chickpeas that are insanely good!
Strawberry, Avocado, and Kale Salad with Strawberry-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – Make a kale lover out of anyone in this healthy salad with creamy avocado and juicy berries!
BLT Chopped Salad with Homemade Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing – Fast, fresh, healthy, and satisfying!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Roasted Winter Squash, Cranberry, and Almond Salad with Lemon Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette (vegan, GF) – A hearty and satisfying salad to help you stay healthy and on track!
Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad – Fast, easy, and fresh! Bright flavors and loads of texture! This clean-eating salad keeps you full and satisfied! Healthy never tasted so good!
Cranberry, Apple, and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry-Apple Cider Dressing – All the flavors of fall in one gorgeous, hearty, and healthy salad!! The easy, tart-and-sweet dressing is just bursting with flavor!
Honey Lemon-Glazed Salmon Salad – Coated with a tangy-sweet glaze that doubles as a light and bright salad vinaigrette! Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! An awesome 15-minute meal!
Sweet and Sour Zucchini Corn Salad – Packed with big, bold flavors and tons of crunch! Healthy, light and not just another salad!