Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars — Safe-to-eat raw cookie dough that’s every bit as good and satisfying as the real thing! Easy, no-bake, and no eggs required!
Homemade Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
Let’s take a break from sugar cookies and red and green sprinkles. And indulge in something that never goes out of season: raw cookie dough.
I love the pre-Christmas season, but there’s so much fudge, cutout cookies, mint this, eggnog that. Conversely, raw cookie dough is a year round, timeless indulgence. For you too? Oh, good.
This easy edible cookie dough is egg-free, vegan, safe to eat raw, and tastes just like the real thing made with eggs and butter.
I have a recipe from 2009 for Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls that’s been one of my top 3 most viewed recipes, every year, since 2009. And I have many other no-bake cookie dough balls, bites, and truffles.
These no-bake cookie dough bars are an even faster, easier interpretation on raw cookie dough. Rather than using a food processor or Vita-Mix, and rolling out little balls (a PITA), the bars are made in one bowl in less than 5 minutes, and pressed into a pan.
I’ve been enjoying them straight from the freezer because I’m at my home in Aruba, where it’s currently 89F. Everything stays very soft or melts here, so the freezer is almost mandatory. You can store them in the fridge for a softer, gooier cookie dough eating experience.
Or don’t even bother pressing the dough into a pan and just eat it right from the mixing bowl. No shame there.
Chilling the bars, however, reduces the shovel-ability factor. You know, eating 6 huge spoonfuls of warm dough in 32 seconds because it’s just so easy to shovel in when it’s warm.
This cookie dough tastes just like cookie dough made with eggs that I probably shouldn’t eat raw, but do anyway. I’m sure I’m not the only one.
Because they’ll keep for months in the freezer, it’s a great make-ahead dessert, and you can nibble at it like you would a carton of ice cream.
Having safe-to-eat raw cookie dough around is a dangerous proposition. Good thing I’m getting plenty of exercise on this trip.
What’s in Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough?
To make the no egg cookie dough, you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter (vegan or regular)
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
First, you must bake the flour. Baking the flour ensures you kill off any bacteria and makes this homemade edible cookie dough 100% safe to eat.
To bake the flour, simply spread it out on a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees F for 5 to 10 minutes. You’re not looking to toast the flour, just get it hot enough to kill off any lingering bacteria.
To make the dough, simply whisk together softened (vegan) butter with brown sugar, vanilla, and stir in the heat treated flour.
I used a combo of semi-sweet chocolate chips and chunks, but use what you have. Mini chips would be a nice touch, but the island has never heard of such a thing. Or use peanut butter, butterscotch or white chocolate chips.
Then, pop the bars into the fridge or freezer for a couple hours to set.
The combination of the chilled cookie dough, flooded with warm Homemade Hot Fudge, is decadence at it’s finest. Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce, butterscotch sauce, or a favorite ice cream sundae topping would also be great.
Do I Have to Bake Raw Flour?
Yes! Baking flour (also called heat treating) kills off any lingering bacteria in the raw flour. This ensures that your no-egg cookie dough is totally safe to eat!
How Long Does Edible Cookie Dough Last?
The no-bake cookie dough bars will keep airtight in the refrigerator for at least 3 weeks and in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Tips for Making Raw Cookie Dough
Bake the flour! I’ve said it already, but I’ll say it again. You MUST bake the flour, otherwise the raw cookie dough could make you sick.
Use whatever mix-ins you’d like. I kept this a simple edible chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, but you can use any baking chips, dried fruits, nuts, etc. that you’d like.
I made this recipe into no-bake cookie dough bars, but you can also roll the dough into balls if desired. I just didn’t feel like it!
Pin This Recipe
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars with Hot Fudge
- ½ cup unsalted butter or vegan butter (like Earth Balance, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks, reserve 2 tablespoons
- 10- Minute Homemade Hot Fudge, optional for drizzling (vegan hot fudge, chocolate syrup, Salted Caramel Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the flour out on a large baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes. Do NOT skip this step — baking the flour kills any lingering bacteria and makes the raw cookie dough safe to eat. Let the flour cool before continuing with the recipe.
- Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together (or beat with an electric mixer) butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until soft and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and optional salt.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips, reserving about 2 tablespoons chocolate chips to push into dough once in pan for a nice visual effect.
- Turn dough out into prepared pan, pressing it down firmly with a spatula.
- Evenly press in reserved chocolate chips.
- Place pan in refrigerator or freezer for at least 2 hours to set up, or overnight. Bars slice easily from the freezer, but allow to come to room temp for about 10 minutes if it’s easier.
- Optionally, drizzle with hot fudge or your favorite topping. Bars will keep airtight in the refrigerator for at least 3 weeks and in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
More Easy No-Bake Desserts:
Funfetti Cookie Dough Balls — The sweet, rich, sprinkle-filled dough satisfies cookie dough cravings, and it’s safe to eat raw. No eggs!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls — EASY, NO-BAKE chocolate peanut butter balls that are a holiday favorite!! They have it all: Salty, sweet, crunchy, with chocolate and peanut butter!
Buckeye Fudge — EASY, no-cook, no-fuss, FOOLPROOF fudge that’s ready in 1 hour!! Dense, chewy and full of rich peanut butter flavor with a smooth, fudgy chocolate topping! It’s irresistible!!
No-Bake Oreo Balls— This Oreo balls recipe uses just 4 simple ingredients! If you’re looking for an easy no-bake dessert for cookie swaps or gift exchanges, this is it!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Bars — Can’t decide if you want PB or chocolate? Make these easy no-bake fudge bars! Chocolate + PB is sooo irresistible!!
Chocolate Almond Clusters — You don’t need a box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day when you can have these!! Easy, no-bake, ready in 15 minutes, and homemade always tastes better!!
Death by Chocolate No-Bake Cheesecake Bars — Only for serious chocoholics because they’re rich, creamy, decadent, and loaded with chocolate!! NO-BAKE and an easy MAKE-AHEAD dessert!!