Seven Layer Bars
This post may contain affiliate links.
7 Layer Bars — These 7 layer bars have a graham cracker crust that’s topped with semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, sweetened condensed milk, and melted caramely Rolos.
Easy 7 Layer Bars
I’m sure everyone has had Seven Layer Bars, Hello Dolly Bars, or Magic Bars. The name changes, but the basic recipe is always the same.
A buttery graham cracker crust, topped with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, and sweetened condensed milk. Optional nuts is how you get the seventh layer, and the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs each count as one layer in the classic recipe.
I think whoever named them was stretching things a bit, but I’m not complaining and am all about getting creative. Seven Layer Bar Cookies anyone?
These 7 layers bars have everything going. The slightly crunchy graham cracker crust, the perfect amount of semi-sweet chocolate to cut through the sweetness of the butterscotch chips, coconut, and creamy sweetened condensed milk.
I couldn’t help but add Rolos. I love baking with Rolos because unlike caramel squares, Rolos soften just enough to get a little gooey without melting completely.
I had to re-home most of the bars with my daughter’s friends because I loved them way too much. All the layers, flavors, and textures work in perfect harmony together. There’s a reason they’re a beloved classic. And the melted caramely Rolo bites are the best of all.
7 Layer Bars Ingredients
To make these easy seven layer bars, you’ll need:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Rolo candies
- Sweetened shredded coconut flakes
- Sweetened condensed milk
How to Make 7 Layer Bars
Toss together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press the graham cracker crust into a greased 8×8-inch pan.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, Rolos, and coconut over the graham cracker layer. Bake the 7 layer bars until lightly golden brown around edges and barely bubbling in the center, and the center is mostly set.
Let the bars cool in the pan for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving them.
Can I Make These Bars Gluten-Free?
Definitely! Just buy gluten-free graham crackers and make sure the rest of the ingredients you buy are certified gluten-free.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Most likely, yes. You’d want to bake the 7 layer bars in a 9×13-inch pan if you doubled the ingredients.
Tips for Making 7 Layer Bars
Other gooey or softer candy like Milky Way, Snickers, Mounds, or peanut butter cups would work in place of the Rolos. However, this is not a time to use rock hard Butterfingers.
Keep an extremely close eye on seven layer bars in the final 10 minutes of baking, because coconut can go from raw-looking to burnt in one minute. I recommend tenting the pan with a sheet of foil in the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent coconut from burning.
These bars freeze really well and will last up to 6 months in the fridge. These are great to quickly thaw on your counter if you have last-minute guests coming over or need a dessert for a cookie exchange!
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (I use unsalted, but salted tames some of the sweetness)
- scant 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 20 Rolo candies, unwrapped
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut flakes, measured loosely not packed
- about two-thirds can (14-ounce) sweetened condensed milk (eyeball it)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside. Do not skip lining your pan because clean-up will be a beast.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Add the graham crackers crumbs and toss lightly with a fork to coat crumbs evenly.
- Turn mixture out into prepared pan, forming an even, smooth, flat crust layer by tapping crumbs into place with a spatula or your fingertips. The amount of crust is skimpy and barely covers the pan, but it’s okay.
- Evenly sprinkle with the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, Rolos (I made five rows of four with Rolos but sprinkling randomly is okay), and coconut.
- Evenly drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the top.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes (I baked 27), or until lightly golden brown around edges and barely bubbling in the center, and the center is mostly set. Keep an extremely close eye on bars in the final 10 minutes of baking because coconut can go from raw-looking to burnt in one minute. I recommend tenting pan (cover pan with a sheet of foil) in the last 5 minutes of baking to help prevent coconut from burning.
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow bars to cool in pan for at least 2 hours, or overnight, before slicing and serving. Bars firm up and will look less ‘juicy’ as they cool.
Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 77mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g
More Dessert Bars:
Carmelitas — Easy one-bowl, no-mixer recipe. With a name like that, they have to be good!!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars — These peanut butter chocolate bars are loaded with chocolate chips and creamy peanut butter. This is a one-bowl dessert you’re bound to love!
Caramel Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars – Keep the napkins handy for these soft, gooey bars dripping with the best caramel-peanut butter sauce!
Holiday Special K Bars — Super chewy, gooey, FAST, easy, no-bake cereal bars loaded with peanut butter, chocolate, and sprinkles!! Like scotcheroos but with Special K!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Bars — The bars are no-bake, easy, loaded with bold peanut butter flavor, and plenty of chocolate.
Loaded M&M’s Oreo Cookie Holiday Bars — These bars are loaded with goodies in every bite. Crunchy Oreos and crisp M&M’s are a great texture contrast to the soft, buttery bars.
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars — A FAST and EASY dessert that is on the HEALTHIER side with only 1/4 cup butter and no oil!! Bold banana flavor, chewiness from the oats, and plenty of chocolate in every bite!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.