Texas sheet cakes are something I never make because I never ‘need’ an enormous chocolate cake laying around. I don’t love cardio that much.
Enter an 8-inch pan of ultra fudgy brownies topped with Texas sheet cake frosting, which is a boiled cocoa powder frosting, and I’ve got the best of both worlds. I can fulfill my chocolate fix with a manageable pan size.
The brownies are an easy, one-bowl, no-mixer recipe that’s as fast as using a boxed mix and they turn out fudgy with zero cakiness.
It’s a brownie base I’ve fallen in love with because it’s easy and always delivers amazing results. Rich, decadent, and many of the Related Recipes below use the same base.
The frosting comes together in about 1 minute on the stove (sometimes called 1-minute frosting) and you can add nuts if you prefer them on your Texas sheet cake.
I like to store the brownies in the fridge because I like chilled chocolate desserts but they’re fine at room temp too.
Pin This Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 6 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Trader Joe’s 72% Pound Plus Bar)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee (leftover or cold coffee is okay), optional but recommended
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules, optional but recommended
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (half of 1 stick)
- 3 tablespoons milk (I used unsweetened cashewmilk)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- Brownies – Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil leaving overhang and spray with cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- To a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter, chocolate, and heat on high power to melt, about 2 minutes. Stop to check and stir after 1 minute. Heat in 15-second increments until chocolate has melted and mixture can be stirred smooth. Allow mixture to cool momentarily before adding the eggs so they don’t scramble.
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, optional coffee, optional espresso granules (neither make brownies taste like coffee and both enhance and round out the chocolate flavor), and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the flour, salt, and stir until smooth and combined without overmixing.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula as necessary.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until center has just set and is no longer glossy. A toothpick should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Allow brownies to cool in pan on top of a wire rack while you make the frosting.
- Frosting – To a medium saucepan, add the butter, milk, cocoa powder, and heat over medium-high to melt butter. Whisk constantly until butter has melted. Allow mixture to come to a boil and boil for about 15 seconds before removing from the heat.
- Add 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth and combined. If you like a tighter frosting add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Optionally add the nuts.
- Evenly add frosting to the brownies, using a spatula to spread it as necessary.
- Allow brownies to cool uncovered for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. I prefer to cover the brownies with foil and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight because they’re easier to slice when chilled and I prefer the taste when chilled. Brownies will keep airtight at room temp for up to 1 week, in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Adapted from The Best Turtle Brownies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 623Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 4gSugar: 59gProtein: 7g
Loaded Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies – Ultra fudgy brownies topped with cream cheese, white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, and Oreos! Easy, no mixer recipe that’s as easy as using a mix!
The Best German Chocolate Brownies – Rich, ultra fudgy brownies topped with the best German chocolate frosting! Sinfully delicious! Easy, no-mixer recipe that’s an automatic hit with everyone!
The Best Turtle Brownies – Super fudgy and loaded with chocolate, pecans and caramel! So.crazy.good!
Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies – Fudgy brownies with a layer of cream cheese and tons of Oreos! They’ll be your new favorites!
Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Brownies – Fudgy brownies with a layer of peanut butter cheesecake and topped with peanuts and peanut butter cups! Rich, decadent, and amazing! A must-make for all peanut butter lovers!
Chocolate Coconut Mounds Bar Brownies – Like eating a Mounds candy bar that’s on top of rich, fudgy brownies! Easy and oh so good!
Andes Mint Brownies – Super fudgy brownies loaded with Andes! Chocolate + mint is the best! Meet your new favorite brownies and so easy!
Salted Caramel Pretzel-Topped Fudgy Brownies – Super fudgy scratch brownies as easy as a mix and the salty-and-sweet combo is irresistible!
Fudgy Peanut Butter Cup Brownies – Easy, one-bowl, no mixer brownies with a full-size PB cup in every brownie! As fast as using mix and tastes way better!
Homemade Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies – A dead ringer for the real thing and just so good!