Weekend Things | May 25, 2013
This post may contain affiliate links.
Time for an installment of Weekend Things:
1. I held my cookbook in my hands for the very first time this week! Opening the box of author copies that my publisher sent was an extremely proud and happy moment.
Thumbing through the book, seeing my recipes and photography, all glossy, shiny, and new is surreal, wonderful, exciting, and a little bit terrifying. I poured my heart and soul into the book and I hope you love it as much as I do.
The official release date is June 4, although if you’ve pre-ordered on Amazon, I believe they’re shipping out slightly before June 4. Thank you to those who’ve bought my book. Your support and vote of confidence means the world.
2. I want to get in this bed and live in this room from CB2. I love fluffy white bedding and love the bright, white, happy light.
I wish my kitchen had this much light because it would be my photography dream come true.
3. If you have an urge to bake cookies this weekend, I suggest Soft and Chewy Snickers Chocolate Chip Cookies. They combine my favorite dough base for chocolate chips cookies, with hunks of Snickers baked in. They’re my favorite version of chocolate chip cookies on my site, to date.
4. Apricot and Almond Sauce from Saveur – “This fruity purée is great swirled into ice cream or spooned atop pancakes or toast.”
I love apricots and almond extract is something I wish I could wear as a perfume.
It’s a fast and easy cake-cookie to make. It’s dense and chewy like a deep-dish cookie-bar, with the flavor of a rich almond cake. Perfect for an impromptu, easy weekend treat.
6. From Instagram. This is how I party on Friday night.
Like eating sprinkles disguised as chocolate sunflower seeds. Heaven.
7. Ceramic Bowls – For dips, sauces, fruit, sides, or just about anything. On sale for $4.80 – $6.40 at Pier 1. What a steal.
8. My recipe for Hawaiian Banana Bread and Maple Banana Baked French Toast appeared in the AllFreeCasserole’s Breakfast eCookbook.
Here’s a free download of the book with 19 recipes in case you need some breakfast inspiration.
9. Overdyed Terai Folding Chair, $198 from Anthro – Sure beats the wobbly card table and vinyl-covered chairs my parents had and kept in our basement, and would dig out for summer gatherings, parties, and holiday company.
Does anyone else have fond memories of swatting mosquitoes, while sitting on folding chairs in someone’s garage or backyard, and literally getting stuck to the vinyl as the back of your legs pour out sweat in the sweltering humidity? Tell me I’m not alone.
10. Need a quickie recipe for a party this weekend? Try one of these 25 Fast & Easy Dip Recipes . Many are vegan, gluten-free, and all are fast, easy, and fuss-free. Exactly the way they should be on a holiday weekend.
Check back for a giveaway starting tomorrow.
What are your Weekend Things?
If you’ve made anything, done, seen, or bought anything fabulous recently, feel free to link it up in the comments.
Holiday Weekend Plans?
We have none, just the way I want it. My husband has been traveling and comes home this weekend, and I’m happy and content to just be together. We don’t have to have plans.
We are definitely not going to the beach with the 1 million tourists in San Diego this weekend who will be. Parking would take 2 hours. No thanks. I’ll be at home baking instead.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.