Headed Home

We are leaving Aruba after spending most of December here in paradise and are flying home to San Diego.

San Diego is wonderful, too, but Aruba is one-of-a-kind.  The pace, the vibe, the energy.

The views.

Some of my favorite “pretty beach” and “pretty pictures posts” from this trip include:

Twas the Day After Christmas

Christmas and Santa Cheer

Counting My Blessings

Just Beautiful

Couldn’t Believe My Eyes

Pool, Beach, Happy

Great Aruba Friday

Tropical Breeze

Running By

This trip to Aruba has been my favorite one to date since we’ve been coming here with Skylar.

She’s loved the family time and the beach time.  And she loves her new braids.

All she’s wanted to do since she got them is flip her head around and swing those braids.

The undivided attention of her parents 24/7 has been such a gift for her and a gift for all of us to be able to spend this much quality, focused family time together.

And not choke each other to death after all that family togetherness time is as beautiful as this turquoise water.

The time here has helped me recharge my batteries, re-center, re-focus, regroup, and get ready to go into 2012 with a fresh and clean mental slate.

I pondered life from my chaise when I snapped this picture on Christmas Day.

People ask me, well don’t you miss a white Christmas or putting up a Christmas tree?  Umm, no, not exactly.

I’d rather look at boats on the water than pine needles all over the carpet.  And snow, never.  There’s a reason I don’t live in Minnesota and instead live in San Diego and travel to Aruba.

Views like this with white sandy beaches trump white Christmases for me.

So do palm trees and straw huts.

Skylar swiped my sunglasses and Scott’s sunglasses whenever possible and we spent most of the trip squinting.

It’s important to keep the sun out of your eyes when you’re hard at work.

Much of my work was of the indoor variety anyway.

No sunglasses required for White Chocolate Peanut Butter Puppy Chow and White Chocolate Peanut, Pretzel, & Chocolate Chip Fudge making endeavors.

And when I’m outside, I’ll squint any day so she doesn’t have to.  What’s another few crow’s feet.

See you from San Diego.

Lucky for us, I have a few No Bake Cookie Butter Spread Ginger Molasses Cookies in our carry-on.

I know these will get swiped faster than sunglasses the minute the family knows what’s in my snack stash.

Did you travel anywhere over the holidays?

Do you have any trips planned or places you’d like to visit?

29 Responses to “Headed Home”

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — December 27, 2011 at 4:15 pm

LOL, I’m with you – white sandy beaches and sky blue ocean water are far prettier to look at than the cold white stuff!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — December 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm

LOL – I would probably want to toss my hair around too in braids. I hope you guys have a safe trip home. And, I think white sand trumps white snow any day!

Gillian @ The Greener Bean — December 27, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I traveled to NH to my parent’s house for the holidays. It is pretty much the opposite of Aruba… gray, cold, rainy. I’d give anything for some sunshine and a beach right about now! Safe travels!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries — December 27, 2011 at 4:25 pm

you sure did capture some beautiful photos while you were there!! the clear blue waters, white beaches, and sunshine sounds just about perfect right now. safe travels home!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — December 27, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I’ve enjoyed all your pictures from this trip, and it sounds like you had a great time. have a safe flight home!

Sara — December 27, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Aruba looks so wonderful. I had to Google it to see where it is exactly – had never heard of it before. I love those pictures of your little girl. That’s how kids should be – all messy and windswept, sandy and with a big smile.

bakerbynature — December 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Safe flight, dearest!! Skylar looks too adorable in your glasses!!

Luv What You Do — December 27, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Have a safe flight home! It has to be hard to leave such a beautiful place!

We are haeding out on an 8 night cruise…St Lucia, St Kitts, and St Maartin in early January. Can’t wait!

Ika Devita Susanti — December 27, 2011 at 6:04 pm

What a beautiful beach! I hold my breath looking all your pictures. So pretty, Avery! I remember the last time I went to the beach was a month ago and I couldn’t spend much time to play because I was working. Whew….Thank you so much for sharing.

Suzanne — December 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Oh what a wonderful vacation! I just love all your pics and Skyler is getting so big! What a beautiful young lady!

Just to let you know I roasted veggies for the first time tonight and they turned out GREAT! Next, I will be trying your kale chips! Ill let you know how they turn out.

YOU ROCK

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — December 27, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Going home after a vacation is always so bitter-sweet! Sad to leave, but happy to be home! I’m so glad you & and the family had an amazing trip, wishing you safe travels back to San Diego!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — December 27, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Yeah, I think I could get used that gorgeous view as opposed to dreary upstate NY wintertime Christmases. Maybe we’ll upgrade to the tropics next year. Although, I really do like the scent of pine trees, lol. Maybe the day after xmas. :)

dragonmamma/naomi — December 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm

The farthest I’ve been from home all month is Rohnert Park, which is 8 whole miles away! I’m such a bumpkin.
    Enjoy your last grope of the year from the TSA.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — December 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Skylar looks so adorable. She is growing up way too fast :)

I am with you on the views — I’d ditch the tree and snow for this views ;) Have a safe flight home, sweetie…

Katie — December 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I wouldn’t miss the snow either. The winter I spent in Hawaii was the best Christmas ever. I didn’t mind not seeing snow. In fact, there isn’t any here either. Just cold. At least the sun has been out for several days.

Yvette ~ Muy Bueno — December 27, 2011 at 7:38 pm

WOWZA! Looks like the perfecto vacation. Safe travels back to San Diego. And best wishes for 2012!

Michaela — December 28, 2011 at 1:32 am

I am so glad you had such an amazing time there!
    I love every picture of Aruba.
    Have a safe flight back (I cannot believe your vacation is over already!)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 28, 2011 at 6:28 am

Hope you had a safe flight back!! No matter how beautiful the weather is in San Diego, Aruba has got to be tough to leave. I traveled home from CA for Christmas….and I’m hoping to be back there sooner than later!

Amber K — December 28, 2011 at 10:29 am

I travel just around town for the holidays. Most of my and the hub’s families live pretty close. Although we end up doing so much driving I’m tempted to go far away on some holiday. Just pack up and avoid all the stress! I’ve been threatening to do this for about the last five years. I don’t think it’s gonna happen… ;)

Angela@veggievinyasa — December 28, 2011 at 11:53 am

Beautiful pics! My bf and I always escape for New Year’s. The past few have been tropical destinations and this year it’s Costa Rica. Leaving tomorrow and can’t wait! Happy New Year!

Deborah — December 29, 2011 at 10:25 am

I would love to travel to Aruba one day. Actually, right now, I’d love to travel anywhere!! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 30, 2011 at 8:52 am

I only traveled 2 hours away over the holidays, but I have a week long trip booked for April – we are headed back to New York!