Vintage Cast Iron

I wandered into my favorite thrift store earlier in the week and in the 3+ years that I’ve been going there, I’ve never seen cast iron there.

The store is located in a pretty hip part of town and I don’t think I’m the only one hip to the thrifting game.

I surmise as fast as old cast iron comes in, it flies off the messy shelves.

Except this week because I found two pieces.

I think I can make eggs muffins or who knows what in this piece.

Whatever it’s intended use, I could stop a burglar with it. Theft protection for $10 bucks.

Updated to add: This is an ebelskiver pan for making puffy little filled pancakes. I remember when there was a craze a few years back on blogs about making ebelskivers but I tuned it out because I didn’t have a pan. Well, now I do and can play around.

This piece is small but must literally weigh about 8 to 10 pounds.

Who needs dumbbells? Just get your three sets in with the muffin pan.

And vintage Le Creueset for $6

Or maybe not vintage, just well-used.

I’m fairly certain what I picked up at the thrift store is this 9-inch iron handle skillet, which retails for $110

The pricing structure at thrift stores and antique stores is always amusing. Sometimes true junk is truly expensive.

And sometimes true gems are dirt cheap.

Maybe because this gem is as dirty as dirt is the reason it was $6 bucks.

I found a short and sweet helpful article on how to clean and refurbish cast iron.

A quick google search turns up tens of thousands of hits.

But I really didn’t purchase the cast iron to cook with, but instead to use as photography props. If I can actually cook something in either of them, bonus.

Collecting dishes and filling up my new cabinet is my favorite pastime.

Favorite pastime other than eating Baked Cinnamon Bun Donuts with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze, which I intend to make Saturday morning.

I wonder if I could make donuts-muffins in the cast iron? Doubtful. I think I’d end up with the worst stuck-on mess ever. Donuts and muffins aren’t supposed to sear.

Do you have any cast iron? Tips on taking care of it or cleaning it?

Are you a thrift store person? Do you like antiques or collectibles?

The last thrift store round for me was 8 pieces of vintage silverware for $2 bucks and a vintage sifter

I found these thrifty dishes

These dishes and old Corningware

I used to live literally just a few blocks from it and walked in at least once a week. For five bucks, you can really feel like a kid like a queen in a candy store.

I could troll around all day on Ebay, Etsy, and Pinterest looking at vintage dishes, old wood boards, old kitchen utensils and bakeware. Something about it all really speaks to me and I wish I knew the stories behind the pieces.

My parents collect antiques of all kinds and as a child, I used to think my mom with her canning and sewing, my dad with his gardening, their antique collecting, and all their hobbies were boring and used to wonder why on earth anyone could think going into a dirty antique shop was fun.

But I have officially turned into my parents when I get excited about dirty cast iron.

And this store is the creme de la creme for antique furniture shopping that I’ve come across in San Diego, or anywhere. I got my 150 year old+ photography table there (item #5) and could spend days (years) wandering the aisles.

The winner of the Cascadian Farms Cereal coupons is Paula

Thanks for the Zoku Single Quick Pop Maker and Chocolate Station Giveaway entries

Have a great weekend!

Scott, Skylar, and I are going to the Pride Block Party and the Pride Parade. We’re going to have the best time people-watching and soaking it all in.

103 Responses to “Vintage Cast Iron”

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — July 20, 2012 at 12:35 am

WOW what a great find! I love love love Le Creueset…but only have a couple pieces since they are so expensive. I guess I will have to visit thrift stores more often and maybe I’ll get lucky too :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 12:48 am

I know, I was in shock when I saw it and snagged it immediately!

IdaBaker — July 20, 2012 at 1:22 am

Shopping thrift stores, and when I have time, Craigslist, is one of my favorite pastimes. Over the years, I’ve found some great bargains and great brands. I just helped stock my daughter’s new apartment with Corningware and Calphalon via Craigslist.

Congratulations on the finds!!

Kathryn — July 20, 2012 at 1:25 am

What excellent finds! I’m so rubbish at thrifting that I never seem to come across anything other than junk but you always manage to find the best things!

Karen — July 20, 2012 at 2:08 am

I love thrift stores, I just got home from a holiday in the country town my dad lives in where everyday we went to another town and another set of great little shops. The best thing about small towns is that the prices tend to be even cheaper. My 5 year old son actually got out of the car at one of our stops and pointed to the thrift store saying “please can we go in there” !

Jane Plass — July 20, 2012 at 4:06 am

Wonderful finds! The specialty pan is an ebleskiver pan, for making a round Scandinavian pancake with a filling. I’ve never made them, but they’re good.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:57 am

Lots of people have told me this and I remember when that craze was going around on blogs a few years ago – I’m all set now to try my hand!

katie @ KatieDid — July 20, 2012 at 4:26 am

I get a little high off finding a good thrift shop deal, one of my favorite past times easily. I have a cast iron that I use multiple times every. single. day. And I never clean it and my mom thinks thats gross, but I’m fine! hah.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:57 am

What are the most common things you cook in it? Would love to know how you use yours. And your never cleaning it…honestly I read about this and don’t “get” how it really works in practice but they say that basically you just sort of wipe it, not really clean it. I’m a newbie :)

• katie @ KatieDid replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I always use it stir fry veggies, and cook eggs in it, and meat. Sometimes I’ll throw it into the oven too if I want to bake a sweet potato or salmon. Couldn’t live without it.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Awesome info and sounds like once it gets there, it’s the one-stop-shopping pan. And it does become nonstick and can be used with pretty much anything.

Kris — July 20, 2012 at 5:03 am

that first one looks like an egg poacher my grandma had when I was little. good find!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:55 am

a few people have now told me it’s an ebelskiver pan (filled pancakes) and I remember when that craze was going around on blogs a few years ago – I’m all set now for it!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — July 20, 2012 at 5:13 am

Oh I KNEW you would find a cast iron pan at your thrift store… I remember us having this conversation ages ago. WOOT! The first one I think is for poaching an egg… that’s a bonus!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:55 am

a few people have now told me it’s an ebelskiver pan (filled pancakes) and I remember when that craze was going around on blogs a few years ago – I’m all set now!

• Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 10:00 am

Well, it`s a good thing you didn’t try to poach an egg on it!!!

angela at canned time — July 20, 2012 at 5:41 am

What a great find! I got a rolling pin for 5 bucks this week in an antique store in WVa. The stores out in the country have the best prices I’ve found too. Sometimes the trendy antique shops jack up the prices because of heavy traffic. So glad you grabbed these before someone else snagged them. :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:54 am

yes on the jacked up prices! trust me, there are even “thrift” stores around here that are charging an arm and a leg for things because they know it’s trendy and they know they can get it!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — July 20, 2012 at 5:52 am

such a fun, creative post! Happy Friday!

IndianaAnna — July 20, 2012 at 6:02 am

Here is a video on how to use the ebelskiver pan. I’ve been debating getting one because those things look so yummy. http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/07/05/recipe-filled-pancakes-a-k-a-whole-wheat-ebelskivers/

Stefania from Revitalize with Stefania — July 20, 2012 at 6:19 am

We use our cast iron at least once a day! And if it’s seasoned properly it’s naturally nonstick!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:53 am

And if you have any amazing cleaning, seasoning, or cooking tips, I’m all ears. What do you typically tend to cook in it?

Kelan — July 20, 2012 at 6:20 am

The first pan is not for poaching eggs. It’s an ebleskiver pan- used to make delicious danish filled pancakes.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:52 am

someone else just told me that! and a few years ago I remember when ebelskivers were a bit of a cult-ish favorite on blogs but I tuned them out b/c didn’t have a pan…well, looks like I do now!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — July 20, 2012 at 6:43 am

I don’t have any cast iron but always eye it. And not the new stuff, but the vintage. Just thinking about who’s used it, how many meals it’s been used for…kind of cool. Check pinterest, I’m sure you can find some tips on cleaning it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:52 am

I kind of don’t even want to clean it and just want to keep it grungy and vintage and use it for photos – lol

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 20, 2012 at 7:01 am

I’ve been looking forever for cast iron that doesn’t cost a small fortune. Someone else told me to try out thrift stores too. Looks like I need to make a trip! 6 bucks is like the ultimate deal!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:51 am

Well after 3+ years of weekly trips, one of these weeks/years, my persistence was going to pay off. It probably would have been far more productive to just pay the hundred+ bucks for one a few years ago but then I wouldn’t have that “omg i found this!!!” feeling :)

• katie @ KatieDid replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Got mine at the christmas tree shop for $12! good quality one too.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — July 20, 2012 at 7:10 am

If you’re ever in NYC, you HAVE to go to the Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market… I think you would die and go to heaven!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:49 am

Just the name – I really have to go…just googled it. WOW

Rachel R — July 20, 2012 at 7:27 am

I have a cast iron skillet that I adore, but I just cannot seem to get to that non-stick state that everyone raves about! I’ll keep re-seasoning until I get it there though. Persistence and patience are two tasks I do not excel at, haha. What great finds!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:49 am

LMK if you end up finding any secret tips or tricks b/c what you talk about is what worries me about it!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 20, 2012 at 7:59 am

That first pan looks like an ebelksiver (filled pancake) pan like this one from Williams-Sonoma:

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:48 am

THANK YOU!!!!!! I remember about 2-3 yrs ago in the blogosphere, I used to see so many recipes for ebelskiver and had no idea what they were and just tuned them out. I am tuning in. Thanks!!

lynn @ the actor's diet — July 20, 2012 at 8:00 am

i wanna go thrifting with you. and bake with you. i think we need to spend a day together, averie.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:47 am

If you’re ever in San Diego, look me up. (I never go up to your neck of the woods though)

Paula — July 20, 2012 at 8:01 am

I do some thrift store browsing but don’t usually come across too many great finds around here. My timing is probably off. I have a cast iron skillet and I love it because it cooks so evenly. I always use a little oil or butter–but it is becoming well seasoned so I don’t need much. I would probably use the “muffin skillet” in the oven for cornbread– I’ve done it with my regular cast iron and it works well.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — July 20, 2012 at 8:28 am

what great finds!! i have a cast iron pan, but to be honest, i have no idea what to do with it other than press my tofu!!! haha

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:45 am

LOL! I don’t know if you eat meat but for cooking meat, they are fabulous and also you can bake in them. Google it. Tons will come up!

Katie — July 20, 2012 at 8:43 am

What a steal! I just saw those vintage cast irons on a website retailing for at least triple that! I’ve had to clean and refurbish my cast iron repeatedly and it makes the house really smoky, but they are worth every penny, every smokey afternoon, every minute spent cleaning. They are really the best way to cook. I always roast my vegetables in them, because they are easy, the food tastes great coming off them, and NO CLEANING!! Just a wipe with a rag, spray a little more oil on to keep it in top shape, and that’s it.

Can you tell I’m a little jealous?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:44 am

I wish you could come and give me a personalized cleaning tutorial!

Margaret M. — July 20, 2012 at 9:01 am

Great finds there, Averie! The pans are great, they maybe dirty but there quality is good. I am also a fan of thrift stores, you can bought a lot of good stuffs in a bargain price.

Melissa (Better Fit) — July 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

Haha- getting excited about dirty cast iron… I feel your pain- I also love thrift stores!

We have just signed on to a new flat, and we’re moving in a few weeks. Our current place is furnished and the new place is unfurnished, so I see a lot of used furniture stores in my near future! I wish I had that one that you went to a couple of months back- I think you bought an old wooden chinese table there? It would be perfect.

My husband is not so excited about all the shopping in his future, but I can’t wait to decorate our new home!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — July 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

Have fun at the pride parade! I’ll bet it’ll be so fun and definitely excellent people watching! What a great find for you–I’m sure that Le Crueset is probably the same one as that $110 version. It’s so strange how thrift shops price things. I’m always amazed at how I found a vintage, mint condition Betsey tunic for $30 and there were worn out, non-name brand jeans for $25. Their loss! Enjoy it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:40 am

The people that work at these places that do the pricing many times have no idea what they’ve got I think is the case….congrats on your Betsey score!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life — July 20, 2012 at 9:43 am

Those are awesome thrifting finds. I just love going to thrift stores and seeing what fun things you can find. And I agree with you, the pricing just never seems to make a whole lot of sense. I love to see that you collect fun dishes too:-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 9:44 am

As a blogger, your dish collection just grows, whether you intend to ‘collect’ or not :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — July 20, 2012 at 9:50 am

That looks like a poffertjes pan! You MUST make some poffertjes. They’re little yeasted Dutch pancakes you brush with melted butter and dust with powdered sugar. I tried them when I was in the Netherlands in 2009 and OH MAN, the heavenliness!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 10:04 am

I just updated the post to add that it’s an ebelskiver pan, for making puffy little filled pancakes (remember that blog craze from a few years ago?). And I forgot you were in the Netherlands! Aruba is a Dutch island and there is so much Dutch influence with their baked goods there – just amazing!

Christina@thebeautifulbalance — July 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

Love your new find! They will look amazing in photos, well, all of your photos are incredible so the new pans are a bonus!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — July 20, 2012 at 10:29 am

That is a FANTASTIC find. I found an old Le Creuset Pot for like $30 once. It’s HUGE and mint green. I crapped my pants.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

huge mint green? That sounds about perfect! and who would have just donated & gotten rid of that? wonders never cease.

Heathy — July 20, 2012 at 10:34 am

Wow what a great thrift store find Averie. Maybe I need to hit up a store?! I love your dish collection – I do the same. Have a great weekend and fun at the parade!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

with all that you cook and bake and photograph, can’t believe you can afford$ to do it any other way but the thrift store dishes…I’d go broke otherwise if I didn’t :)

• Heathy replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 2:32 pm

My secret – I reuse a lot ;) AND I live in a little town with barely any stores = I only go shopping when I travel to the city. Otherwise I WOULD be broke because cooking/home stores are my fave!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Wow – you are a great re-user then! Would have never noticed it unless you said something!

Janae @ Bring-Joy — July 20, 2012 at 10:50 am

Love cast-iron. Not just because it’s pretty & has a vintage feel, but because it’s also naturally non-stick.

Congrats on your finds!

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — July 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hi Averie, I made those little balls again and posted the recipe (I hope you don’t mind me changing it a …bit..:)
    Now, cast iron… Limit me, please, to a few sentences of the subject before I start singing to it! Yes, I do use cast iron, and most of my frying pans, pots, dutch ovens are cast iron, Lodge, Staub and Le Creuset. All my skillets are Lodge, and well seasoned by now. Here’s how I take care of it: I never use soap to wash it, instead I pre-soak it in hot water and usually anything sticky would come out. For a stubborn stains I use salt. Then I put the skillet on the stove, turn the heat to high and let it dry. Then the hot skillet gets a oily “massage” with a piece of pork or duck fat. I know you may not like this part, but I tried other oils and it doesn’t work as well as fat. Then I turn the heat off, and let it cool. Before I store the skillet I wipe out all excess of fat. It may sound like it’s labor intensive process or time consuming, but it’s not.
    This way all my Lodge skillets and bread forms (also cast iron) are like the day they were bought. There is another recommended way to treat cast iron: in the oven, but I haven’t done it yet.
    Have fun this weekend! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for the great tips. The baking in oven situation – I’ve heard it can release tons of fumes and that you really have to run your air or open the windows. I’ve heard to put your oven on self-clean, put the pan in it, maybe with a smidge of oil, and let it self-clean. But that sounds so…toxic & stinky!

I wonder if coconut oil would do the same thing as duck fat or pork fat. I haven’t eaten pork since I was 5 years old! I wonder what other kind of fat would be good…olive oil, coconut oil? I realize they could impart a flavor though so may have to be careful with the coconut oil, especially.

Basically water, soak, wipe, smidge of oil, heat on stovetop to dry, wipe, done. That’s easy!

• Marina@ Picnic at Marina replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I have tried all other oils and if you don’t use your skillet every day, it gets rancid and food tastes bad. I guess if you use oil, rinse and wipe the skillet before cooking in it. Coconut oil maybe your option, it doesn’t get rancid as fast as other vegetable oils. Try it to see how it works. As of fats, I am not a big meat eater, but pork fat works the best and food doesn’t smell or taste like pork or anything (I do wipe out the skillet before I put it away). Although, for you it maybe too much, I understand.
        Le Creuset has lifetime warranty, and you may contact them for help, they maybe able to give you some tips. I did and they provided me with a good information, but it wasn’t the skillet, it was enameled cast iron that I had some concerns…:)
        Good luck with cast iron, it’s a great products, I am totally addicted to it! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Thanks for the info and I’ve had other friends tell me they use coconut oil, so will probably start with that and see how things go from there…

Living, Learning, Eating — July 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

Cast iron skillets excite me, too, and I’m 19! No shame :P That mini pancake puff one looks A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

You are lucky to have found this passion young! I was crazy for thinking my parents were the crazy ones at that age!

JulieD — July 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

wow, what a great deal!! so beautiful, averie!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’m still thinking about your muffins – those are beautiful!

Eileen — July 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Score! I’ve seen a le Creuset pan in a thrift store exactly once–and someone else absconded with it. Oh well–I have my own. :) I’ve never heard of ebelskiver, but I’m super excited to see them in future!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

There was a man with his hand on the handle of it, picked it up, turned it over, set it down and I literally picked it up the *second* he let go of it!

Sarah C — July 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

What awesome finds! Not to be creepy/stalker-ish, but I think we thrift at the same thrift store in San Diego…totally recognize that kitchen section. I’m usually absorbed in the book section, but now I think I need to expand my shopping there!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Lol – every time I post about it, it usually flushes out at least one local reader who comes out and says she shops there; you’re “that person” on this post :) One day say hi if you see me in there!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — July 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm

You know I love a good cast iron pan. Here is what I do to keep mine in tip top shape. While the pan is warm, I rinse it out under hot running water, and scrub the pan with a brush to remove traces of food. NEVER clean your pan with soap, as that will ruin the pan. After I rinse the pan, I put it back on the burner over low heat until all traces of moisture disappear. I then put a few drops of oil in the pan (when it’s dry & still warm) and rub it in with a paper towel until all the oil is soaked into the pan. Keep wiping the pan (you can even use a fresh paper towel) till all the oil is rubbed into the pan, as you don’t want the pan to feel oily to the touch.

I love all your plates, cute mugs and glasses. I wish I lived closer so I could come by and grab a few things for tomorrow. I have that class with Joy the Baker and I need to bring a favorite mug, favorite napkin and dish. I am assuming they want something with color and whimsy, and I am pretty simple when it comes to my staging accessories so I have no idea what to bring. I’m going to head out in a bit and see what I can scrounge up. Wish me luck ☺

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I wish I could loan you some stuff! I’ve spent a little time in Anthro recently :) And have a full complement of frilly dishes to cleaner and more basic. Please give me the rundown on the workshop! Joy is so sweet and friendly; if I lived up there, I would have gone but not in the cards to be traveling up there solo on a weekend. You know how it is when you have a family back home :)

Thanks for the cast iron info…what you said has echoed what about 10 people before you have said, all whom I trust – so thanks mama!!

Kat — July 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thrifting is my favorite activity, and I love finding antique kitchen supplies and plates and things. You can find some really unique items!! I have two cast iron pans and usually have my husband taking care of seasoning them!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

After 12 years of marriage, my husband still doesn’t know where the spoon drawer is…so I’m on my own with seasoning. Lol :)

bakerbynature — July 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I feel like my cast iron skillet is part of the family! I really really adore it. And usually I just wipe it down with a sponge, no soap. You had some great finds, lucky lady!

Sara Lake — July 20, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I know what you say about cast iron as a self-defence weapon. I have a few fry pans which have been passed down generations and can barely lift them onto the stove top. No wonder obesity is a modern problem. Our grandmothers had to lift those things every day.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I know – these things will give your arms a nice workout :)

marnie — July 20, 2012 at 7:37 pm

LUCKY YOU!!! that is our gift when someone gets married in our family! we are danish…and that pan makes THE BEST aebleskievers ever…we make a sauce called crack sauce to serve with them….much like the crispy creme topping. way back in the day they used knitting needles to turn the cakes….today i use a fork. enjoy!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I wish I could learn to make ebelskivers from you! However, it’s my little project to research and read up on and figure it out. Crack sauce. Love that :)

rebecca — July 20, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I have a great set of cast iron, mostly that i inherited from my grandmother. I use at least one of the pieces, if not more, every single day. eggs, soups, stews, sauces, fruit crisps… it all goes in the cast iron.
    They are truly my favorite kitchen things. and they look awesome hanging up on my walls.
    i love my cast irons :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Oooh, I bet your walls do look awesome with it all displayed!

LiztheChef — July 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Maybe we can do a trade. My shelf is loaded…

Christy — July 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I have been using cast iron since I learned how to cook. My father inherited his father’s griddle which covered two burners (great for pancakes) and we used that to learn how to cook EVERYTHING, burger, pancakes, Texas Toast…being a Texas girl Cast Iron is everywhere…when I moved out of the house and got my first appartment I went out and bought a brand new cast iron pan for 10 bucks at the local Big Lots, It was still silver and shinny…the cashier asked me if I was going to use it for decoration since it wasn’t good for cooking (she thought because it didn’t have the seasoning on it…it was no good). I took it home and imediately seasoned it and I still have it today. Before my uncle passed he gave me 6 different sizes of cast iron pans(even a little baby one) that he had used as a line cook…and ever since he passed, everytime I cook with them I think about him.

I’m sure those pans have some old memories attached to them from the previous owners…I’m sure your going to make some more with them! ENJOY THEM!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 20th, 2012 at 11:03 pm

What a great story and memories – thanks for sharing all of that :)

Rachel — July 21, 2012 at 5:34 am

I love this post! It must be the MN girl in you that loves a good cast iron. I’m from rural Mankato & love to “hunt” for cast iron pans at flee markets, thrifts, estate sales….I feel like I am turning into my grandmother! :) love your finds!
    Rachel

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 21st, 2012 at 9:32 am

Hi to a fellow MN girl – Mankato, ahhh, so many memories! Hopefully the mosquitoes aren’t as big as golf balls for you this time of year :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 21, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Great thrift finds! I don’t have any cast iron, but have been thinking about adding a piece to our collection.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 23, 2012 at 8:57 am

Great finds! I recently came across a large AllClad saucepan at goodwill and was *this* close to buying it but wasn’t sure if the finish was beyond repair. The outside looked fine but the inside was clearly meant to have been nonstick or maybe not? I’m not sure. So I passed. Mistake?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 23rd, 2012 at 9:39 am

I would have bought it b/c at Goodwill prices, either for cooking or photography, one way or the other, would have used it but that just means you get to go thrifting again!

lee — July 23, 2012 at 9:23 am

Ebelskivers are so, so yummy! Although I have to admit…I’ve yet to be motivated to make them myself, instead choosing to enjoy them when others cook some up. But truly – ebelskivers with nutella inside and powdered sugar on top? Mmm, mmm.

But if you’re not going to cook with it, it looks like it would be a great background/dish for something like tarts or some type of pudding.mousse served in mini waffle-cone cups, perhaps? Have fun!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 28, 2012 at 10:01 am

I have a cast iron pan that I have started using quite a bit lately, and I really like it.