Pina Colada Dip

I love it when I can drink a pina colada. Or eat one.

This dip tastes remarkably like a pina colada and it takes two minutes to make, has three ingredients, and it’s vegan and gluten free. Do I have your attention?

In a sea of pumpkin cakes, pumpkin cookies, roasted vegetable soup, and other fall-inspired food, I figured I’d turn seasonally appropriate on it’s head and make this dip.

Then again, pina coladas know no season.

If you like pina coladas, pineapple, and coconut, this is your dip. If you’re one of those “but I don’t like coconut” people, this is not the dip for you because it’s quite coconutty, as a pina colada is and should be.

I savored every chewy, texture-filled bite, largely from the sweetened shredded coconut that’s bound with creamy cream cheese. Feel free to use vegan cream cheese if that’s your preference. The bits of crushed pineapple further sweeten and add more texture and brightness to the tropical-infused spread.

I’ve made the dip both with and without adding rum. Malibu is especially delicious in it and if rum is added, this goes from a three-ingredient to a whopping four-ingredient recipe. Both versions are equally good. One will just get you in an island mood quicker than the other.

The dip comes together in literally two minutes. To four ounces of softened cream cheese, which is half of a standard-sized plastic tub or half of a block, add the pineapple, and add the rum if it’s after five o’clock somewhere, and stir in the coconut. If you like a very densely packed spread, add more coconut or more pineapple to the four ounces of cream cheese. As written, it’s pretty dense, although it could hold even more if you like an uber-thick spread.

If you prefer something more along the lines of a pineapple-and-coconut-flavored-cream cheese, simply add less pineapple and less coconut, allowing the cream cheese to shine through more. Scott’s more of a cream cheese purist whereas I’m a texture and flavor infusion junkie. I won and this dip is chock full of pineapple and coconut and tastes much more like a pina colada than it tastes like flavored cream cheese. Actually, there’s very little cream cheese taste per se, rather it lends the creamy mouthfeel that I associate with pina coladas.

The beauty of this little dippity dip is that it doesn’t make a big batch, just a cup and a half, give or take. When I see recipes that start off by calling for two eight-ounce blocks of cream cheese, I always wonder if these people have hollow legs or are feeding football teams when needing a pound of cream cheese in one recipe. It sounds great and all though. Small batches of dip are my friend because I’ve never met a dip, condiment, spread, or chutney, that I didn’t love, want to layer on thick, and polish off immediately.

I’ve been slathering this on bread, bagels, crackers, and my spoon has found its way into the container. It’s probably not that much different than eating pineapple-coconut Greek yogurt. Or something like that mindgame I can play so well. The dip tastes best after it’s been out of the refrigerator about 15 minutes and the cream cheese softens, gets creamier, and the dip tastes even more like an island vacation.

Although I love drinking pina coladas, eating them has been even better.

Pina Colada Dip (vegan, gluten-free)

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Total Time: 2 minutes

Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups dip, double the recipe if desired

This dip tastes remarkably like a pina colada. Sweet, creamy, and full of bright pineapple and creamy coconut flavor. The spread comes together in two minutes flat, is vegan, gluten-free, and uses just a three ingredients.

Ingredients:

4 ounces cream cheese, softened (half of most standard-sized blocks or tubs; use vegan cream cheese, whipped, or light cream cheese if desired)

1/3 cup crushed pineapple, with some juice included

1 to 2 tablespoons Malibu or other rum, optional

1 to 1 1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut flakes

Directions:

In a medium-sized bowl, combine cream cheese, pineapple, and stir to combine. Optionally, add rum and stir to combine. Add coconut and fold it in, playing with the amount until dip is as dense and thick as desired. Serve immediately. Extra dip may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Related Recipes:

Pina Colada White Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies – A fun little cookie that tastes like a pina colada and they’re very soft, mois,t and goofproof, as cake mix cookies tend to be

Coconut Oatmeal Toffee Cookies – Chock full of texture from the coconut, oats, and crunchy bits of Heath bar toffee pieces, and it’s a small batch recipe

Baked Orange Banana Coconut Donuts with Orange Coconut Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze – The donuts are wonderful with bananas, oranges, and coconut baked in, and the glaze makes them even better

Malibu Rum Fruit Loops Treats – Malibu, Fruit Loops, white chocolate, sprinkles, and no-bake. Sounds like a good Friday night 10-minute project to me

Coconut White Chocolate Chip Blondies – Rich, dense and full of coconut flavor, with white chocolate baked in, and dark chocolate drizzled on top. They’re almost fudge-like in texture

Pineapple Banana & Coconut Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Tastes like a virgin pina colada in healthy smoothie form

Taste of the Tropics Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Another version of a healthy smoothie masquerading as virgin pina colada, but feel free to spike it

Do you like pina coladas? Coconut? Pineapple?

I love them all and try to work coconut, coconut milk, coconut oil, or pineapple, into anything I possibly can; from sweets and desserts to savory food and soups and stir frys.

I hope it’s after 5 o’clock for you and your weekend has started or is in sight. Have a great one and thanks for the Pumpkin Whoopie Pies + Book Giveaway entries – winner announced next post.

61 Responses to “Pina Colada Dip”

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — October 12, 2012 at 1:28 am

Pina Colada Dip, get on my bagel!

What a brilliant – and glorious – idea.

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) — October 12, 2012 at 2:11 am

Piña Colada DIP?! Amazing. Love coconut & pineapple – such a refreshing, delicious flavor combination.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hi Liz! I know you like your coconut and this is so easy & coconutty! Hope you’re doing well :) xo

The Ninja Baker — October 12, 2012 at 2:32 am

So whimsical and fun, Averie! Instead of coffee, I can now dunk your Baked Orange Banana Coconut Donuts into Piña Colada Dip! Yum =)

Karen — October 12, 2012 at 4:03 am

Genius!

Laura Dembowski — October 12, 2012 at 5:33 am

I’ve never had a pina colada but I love coconut and rum, so I know I’d be a fan. It’s fun to still have summer-y desserts, as it reminds me it will one day be warm again.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 9:41 am

Never had a pina colada? Omg knowing you, go make one. It’s Friday! Or go out for one!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — October 12, 2012 at 5:34 am

What a fun dip idea. I’m not a coconut fan, but I’ve found that when used properly, I don’t mind it so much. And I love pina coladas so I’m thinking I’d love this! And I love how easy it is too. Perfect for a party!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 9:40 am

If you like pina coladas, you’ll like this I think…but if you don’t like coconut, but like pina coladas, well..I dunno…:) This is pretty coconutty! But see I think pina coladas are the epitome of coconutty!

Abby@ Totes Delish — October 12, 2012 at 6:46 am

I’m definitely on your side, I prefer the chunky dip to the smoother ones!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 9:38 am

At least if I’m inhaling cream cheese or cheese sauce or whatever it is, if I have some chunky pieces in it, it feels somewhat healthier. lol

the 3volution of j3nn — October 12, 2012 at 6:48 am

I’d love this, mr. Fussy pants wouldn’t. I think this would be so good as a shrimp dip or with veggie sticks. Yum!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 9:38 am

It would be so great with shrimp! Like a coconut-battered shrimp, or even just plain, this would pair perfectly! Now you make me wish I didn’t have a shrimp allergy!

Hannah — October 12, 2012 at 7:44 am

This is so beyond anything I’d imagine myself! Makes me think of warmth. Always good!

Erica — October 12, 2012 at 8:12 am

A tropical touch as the weather gets cooler? Just perfect. Love pineapple anything

Ashley - bakerbynature — October 12, 2012 at 8:13 am

Love how simple this recipe is!!! And packed with all that great pina colada flavor, I imagine this is quite addicting.

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — October 12, 2012 at 8:53 am

A four-ingredient dip that can instantly transport me to a tropical island? Sign me up! I want to stick my face in there.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — October 12, 2012 at 9:20 am

What a fun idea, I love these flavors!

Jenny — October 12, 2012 at 9:34 am

The dip is a great idea! I can’t wait until I can make that. And it’s so pretty.

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — October 12, 2012 at 11:07 am

Brill. Just brilliant.

And how did I miss those Fruit Loop treats? I was never allowed to eat sugar cereals as a child so cereal treats + rum = PURE SCANDAL!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 11:39 am

I posted the Fruit Loops from Aruba in August and I had rum and scandal on the brain :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — October 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

WhileI certianly LOVE LOVE LOVE drinking my pina coladas, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten one before? Or anything with thoe same flavors. Shame on me. Dip, being one of my favorite foods -(I call it a food because I literally EAT it like it’s at the bottom of my food pyramid – I can hold my own next to hummus, guac and buffalo dip) – in Pina Colada form is genius Averie. Leave it to you, queen of the tropics to come up with this. 3 ingredients (heck why would you NOT throw in the 4th?) to perfection. I love this idea! I’d spread it on a toasted bagel, toasted pita, dip salty pretzels into it… and maybe cinnamon graham crackers too! And I love that the ingredients are so common, more likely than not a person has a can of pineapple, CC, and coconut. At least I always do!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 11:39 am

I eat dip like it’s its own food group. Trust me :) And yes, simple, easy, but oh, so good. You will never be able to look at cream cheese the same way again after loading it up with the tropics. Unless you stir in PB & cocoa powder (that’s a diff recipe though…lol)

Deirdre — October 12, 2012 at 12:15 pm

You get me with those white choco cookies every time…craving, craving, craving…Have a great weekend!

Paula — October 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I made the roasted carrot, pepper and peanut soup today for lunch and positively loved it! A loaf of homemade bread would have been good with it but I ran out of time…maybe tomorrow. I think some piña colada dip would be excellent on that as well!! The dip looks nice and chunky–and tropical flavors taste good to me in any season.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I wish I could give you some bread…I’ve been playing around with it and have more fresh bread than I need right now! Glad the soup was a hit. I was hoping you’d like it!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Oooooh yeah, I like ALL of those things. A lot. Too much.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — October 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oh my goodness – I could seriously slather this on anything and everything!

Tiffany @ She Loves Yoga — October 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

YUM! Flavors of the island that I grew up with in a dip?! I’m soo going to serve this at the next family get together. Everyone is going to flip for it! :)

Carol H — October 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Hi Averie, I just found your site and your recipes look delicious.
    Would you mind answering a question for me?
    We are going to Aruba in April and I was wondering if you know what is the best Belgian chocolate to buy there?
    Brand, etc., and any other treats I should look for while there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 12th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

That’s a really specific question..best Belgian chocolate. I’m not an expert on Belgian choc. Aruba is a Dutch island (Holland, not Belgium) but I live in San Diego full time so my guess is as good as yours :)

Cathy @ Noble Pig — October 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I would happily eat this whole bowl myself! Whoa!

Michele Sparrow — October 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Pineapple, cream cheese, rum and coconut…um, what is NOT to love in there??! That dip looks fantastic. You know those big sourdough, hard pretzels? I bet those would be perfect for dipping that pina colada deliciousness! Another good one, Averie! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 10:10 am

It would be perfect on sourdough…and…ta-dah! on some of the bread Ive been baking. More on that to come :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Oh my! I can see spreading this on a baked baguette and topped with cooked shrimp! Perfect recipe, I love it!!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — October 12, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Wow, this looks dangerous! I love anything coconut and tropical.

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife — October 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm

You always win the prize for creativity! :D This is something that I would never think of. But I absolutely LOVE pina coladas, it’s probably one of my favorite flavor combinations in the world. This dip is very intriguing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 10:09 am

It’s one of my fave flavors, too. And easy is always a good flavor for me :)

Jen @ Savory Simple — October 13, 2012 at 5:56 am

Such a fun dip!

Jen @JuanitasCocina — October 13, 2012 at 6:22 am

My favorite drink in dip form? This will be made today. Maybe twice.

Emily @ www.main-eats.com — October 13, 2012 at 6:41 am

Wow-that looks so refreshing and amazing!

Valerie — October 13, 2012 at 6:57 am

Thank you for turning the season on it’s pumpkin-y head! This looks amazing!! I can’t get enough of anything that has chunks of coconut sticking out in every direction. (One of my mantras just happens to be “it’s five o’clock somewhere.”) :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 10:08 am

You may as well have some texture amidst all that glorious cream cheese. Somehow feels less…gluttonous and like I’m not quite eating cream cheese by the spoonful :)

Kate@Diethood — October 13, 2012 at 7:51 am

Thank goodness there is no season for pina coladas! I know for a fact that I would never share this amazing dip with anyone… I will hide in the closet and eat it.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 10:07 am

That’s kinda why I like to make small batches on purpose :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — October 13, 2012 at 9:02 am

Brilliant! I am a huge coconut lover so this dip sounds amazing and could be my new go-to dip this winter when I’ll miss summer. Thanks, Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 10:07 am

My thoughts exactly – bring some summer into winter :) Just pinned those donuts with the PB glaze of yours…those things are calling me!

Christine (The Raw Project) — October 13, 2012 at 2:03 pm

This looks wonderful, I’m a huge coconut fan too and what a fun way to use it!

Elizabeth @Food Ramblings — October 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Delicious! I would love to eat my pina colada!

Leonor @FoodFaithFitness — October 14, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I don’t understand how people can NOT like coconut and pineapple. Personally, I love it!