Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard
Chicken nuggets are the ultimate kid food. Or snacky food for grownups. Or easy impromptu dinner that everyone can agree on.
You can’t go wrong especially with sweet-and-tangy honey mustard for dipping.
The nuggets are baked rather than fried. Not only does baking keep them healthier, but there’s less stovetop babysitting and the nuggets still turn out really nice and crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside.
You’d never guess they were baked.
Simply place chicken that’s been breaded with a mixture of Panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes.
Panko and parmesan are the two secret weapon ingredients for ensuring perfect crispiness.
Panko breadcrumbs are Japanese-style breadcrumbs, are sold near regular breadcrumbs, and are coarser in texture than regular breadcrumbs. They help add texture and crunch to the nuggets without having to fry them.
The parmesan adds flavor, crisps up beautifully in the oven, and I’ve used Panko-parmesan coatings on everything from chickpeas to edamame and it’s always a winner. My family gobbled these up and said they taste way better than storebought. Homemade always does.
Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard
You can't go wrong with chicken nuggets especially with honey mustard for dipping. The nuggets are baked rather than fried. Not only does baking keep them healthier, but there's less stovetop babysitting, and they still turn out crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. Panko breadcrumbs are Japanese-style breadcrumbs, are sold near regular breadcrumbs, are coarser than regular breadcrumbs, and add texture and crunch to the nuggets while the parmesan adds flavor and crispness. Panko and parmesan are the two secret weapon ingredients for ensuring perfect crispiness.
Yield: serves 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 30 to 33 minutes, or until done
Total Time: about 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup (half of 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- about 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch pieces (boneless skinless chicken breasts may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup honey, or to taste
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard (grainy or spicy brown mustard may be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easier cleanup), and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large, shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt, pepper, and mix to combine; set aside.
- To a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 30 seconds on high power.
- Dip chicken in butter, then in crumb mixture, patting to help the coating adhere. Place coated chicken on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over chicken.
- Bake for about 30 to 33 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through in the center and exterior is lightly golden browned. The bottom sides will become browner than the tops. Cooking time will vary based on exact size of chicken pieces, how heavily the coating was applied, oven and climate variances, etc. Bake until done. While chicken bakes, make the honey mustard dipping sauce.
- To a medium bowl add the honey, mustards, whisk to combine, taste and check for flavor balance, adding more honey or mustard to taste if necessary; set aside until ready to serve with chicken. Nuggets are best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months. Honey mustard will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Easy Honey Mustard Chicken – Soft, juicy chicken tenders coated with the best honey mustard! Ready in 20 minutes, a family favorite, and a perfect addition to your weeknight dinner rotation!
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs – Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a sweet-and-tangy sauce! Great for parties or easy weeknight dinners! Everything tastes better grilled!
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken – The easiest orange chicken ever because your slow cooker does all the work! Super juicy, tender, and coated with a sweet-yet-tangy orange glaze that’s irresistible!
Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken – The easiest peanut chicken ever and your slow cooker does all the work! Topped with crunchy peanuts, cilantro, green onions, and the peanut sauce is irresistible!
One-Skillet Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables – A tangy-sweet balsamic glaze coats juicy chicken and crisp-tender veggies! Healthy, easy, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for busy weeknights! It’s a keeper!
Easy Lemon Chicken with Caramelized Lemons – If you like lemons you’re going to love this very lemony LEMON chicken! Easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and bursting with bold lemon flavor!