10-Minute Cast Iron Skillet Pizza — A FAST, EASY, and foolproof recipe to make pizza at home in 10 minutes!! Don’t call for delivery when you can make this pizza in minutes! Such IRRESISTIBLE cheesy goodness!!
Table of Contents
- Stovetop Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Ingredients for Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
- How to Make Pan Fried Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Additional Pizza Toppings to Try
- Recipe FAQs
- Tips for Making Cast Iron Pizza
- Storage and Reheating Instructions
- What to Serve with Cast Iron Pizza
- 10-Minute Skillet Pizza Recipe
- More Easy Pizza Recipes:
Stovetop Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet
My daughter loves pizza and I am always experimenting with fast, easy, and foolproof ways to make pizza at home. Making frying pan pizza on the stovetop is one of the fastest and easiest methods that I’ve found, tied with grilled pizza.
To save time, I use fresh store-bought plain pizza dough from Trader Joe’s refrigerated case. I do have a 1-hour scratch pizza dough recipe as well as a 2-ingredient pizza dough that uses self-raising flour as a shortcut if you’re feeling like going the extra mile.
Usually I am not feeling like it when the dinner hour is knocking at my door. Just being honest.
Ingredients for Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
To make this cast iron pan pizza recipe, you’ll need:
- Fresh pizza dough
- Olive oil
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley
Note: Scroll down to the recipe card section of the post for the ingredients with amounts included and for more complete directions.
How to Make Pan Fried Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Roll out the dough and place it in a large skillet.
- Cook for 3 minutes on the first side.
- Flip, top with pizza sauce, add the cheese, and pepperoni.
- Pop the lid back on and cook, covered, until the cheese has melted.
Additional Pizza Toppings to Try
If you want to get more adventurous than using pepperoni, feel free to add your favorite pizza toppings to your stovetop cast iron pan pizza:
- Italian sausage or ground beef (pre-cooked)
- Bacon (pre-cooked and crumbled)
- Bell peppers
- Fresh pineapple
- Fresh herbs
I use my Lodge 12-inch cast iron skillet. I’m sure you could use a nonstick skillet, but they aren’t always broiler safe if you’re going that route. You could probably do it in an stainless steel skillet but if you have a cast iron skillet, I highly recommend breaking it out here.
You must lightly grease the skillet with oil before adding the pizza dough. I also recommend rolling out the pizza dough on a floured surface to prevent sticking.
Yes! Making pizza in a cast iron skillet does not require turning on your oven! I sometimes broil the cheese in the oven if I want it super golden brown, but it’s not necessary.
Tips for Making Cast Iron Pizza
Before rolling out the dough, let it rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Chilled dough doesn’t roll out well, plus it’ll take longer to cook through on the stove.
I prefer to melt my cheese under the broiler rather than on the stovetop. There is nothing quite like lightly golden browned broiled cheese for me.
However, if it’s the middle of summer and you don’t want to turn on your oven just to broil something for two minutes, I get it. Or if you’re making this for someone (kids) who make not know the difference (or care) how the cheese was melted, do whatever is easiest.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Fridge: Leftover pan fried pizza will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Freezer: Let the pizza cool completely before freezing in a zip-top bag. It will last up to 2 months. Reheat from frozen for best results.
Reheating: If you wind up with leftover cast iron pizza, I recommend reheating it the same way you made it: in a skillet. Avoid reheating pizza in the microwave because you’ll wind up with a rubbery crust.
Pin This Recipe
10-Minute Skillet Pizza
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough, at room temp for 1 hour (I buy mine at Trader Joe's or make your favorite homemade dough
- flour for dusting surface
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup pizza or marinara sauce, or as desired
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 15 pepperoni, or as desired
- fresh parsley, optional for garnishing
- To a floured work surface, add the dough and roll out into a 10 to 12-inch diameter circle. If dough is overly springy and resistant to rolling easily, allow it to rest at room temperature for another 30 minutes or so.
- To a 12-inch cast iron skillet, add the olive oil, and transfer the dough to the skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the bottom side is lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip the dough, turn the heat to low, add the pizza sauce (leave a bare 1/2-inch perimeter), evenly top with the cheese, pepperoni, cover skillet with a lid, and cook until the cheese has melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Alternatively, if you prefer your cheese to be more browned + melted rather than just melted (which is what I prefer), place the skillet underneath the broiler for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese is as browned as desired. If you're broiling, watch it very closely so it doesn't burn.
- Optionally garnish with parsley and serve immediately. Pizza is best warm and fresh.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
©averiecooks.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
More Easy Pizza Recipes:
Homemade French Bread Pizza — This FAST and EASY pizza recipe incorporates a French bread crust. This handy shortcut saves you time on busy weeknights to make home-baked pizza a reality. Pizza is always a family FAVORITE and this thick and chewy variety will be a big hit!
Puff Pastry Pizza — This EASY pizza is topped with oodles of cheese, pepperoni, bacon, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and has a puff pastry crust! Never underestimate the power of a kitchen shortcut like puff pastry on busy weeknights when you’re looking for a family-friendly and kid-approved dinner recipe that’s FAST to make!
10-Minute Grilled Pepperoni Pizza –Such an easy and fast pizza! If you’ve never tried making pizza on the grill, you need to try it! It’s foolproof, delicious, faster than calling for delivery, and pizza is always a winner!
Barbecue Chicken Pizza – A copycat version of California Pizza Kitchen’s bbq chicken pizza that you can make at home in 15 minutes! Easy, loaded with juicy chicken, red onions, cilantro, and lots of cheese!
Easy Pizza Bake – Skip takeout and make your own warm and cheesy deep dish pizza bake! Fast, easy, and ready in 30 minutes! It’s a keeper everyone loves!
Easy Mini Pepperoni Pizzas – Ready in 10 minutes, mindlessly easy, and mini food just tastes better! Great as an appetizer, after-school or late-night snack, or as perfect tailgating party food!
Pepperoni Pizza Bombs – Pizza by way of soft, warm rolls stuffed with pepperoni and oodles of cheese! Easy, ready in 15 minutes, perfect for parties, and simply irresistible!
Pepperoni Pizza Sliders – Pizza by way of supremely cheesy sliders! Easy, ready in 15 minutes, and perfect for parties because everyone loves them! Totally irresistible!
Mexican Taco Pizza — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and like eating a taco in pizza form!! Taco-seasoned ground beef on top of refried beans with melted cheese and your favorite taco fixings!!