Beef Queso Dip
Just in time for football season and what I like to call the beginning of comfort food eating season, which I loosely define as fall, football season, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, and holiday parties, this queso dip is perfect.
It’s a crowd favorite and my family raves about it. Stock up on chips and watch this dip disappear at your next party.
I used Velveeta and while I don’t think I’ve had any since my mom used to use it to make grilled cheese sandwiches with when I was a kid, it’s absolutely perfect for the queso.
It’s velvety smooth (hence the name), melts beautifully, and stays silky and smooth for a long time and doesn’t harden up like other cheeses do. It has a perfect fondue-like quality.
There are queso recipes that don’t use Velveeta but I haven’t tried them and can’t offer any substitutions that will guarantee the perfect meltiness that Velveeta lends. If you want to make a cheese dip without Velveeta, try any of the dozens of cheesy dip recipes here.
The Ro-Tel adds texture and some heat but you can use the mild version if preferred. I used regular spiced but reduced-sodium taco seasoning. You can use mild or hot depending on your preference for heat.
I haven’t tried it but I think you could successfully make this in a slow cooker by first browning the beef and onions, adding the taco seasoning and water, and then transferring to the slow cooker before adding the remaining ingredients. It would be a nice way to keep it warm for hours at a party. If you try it this way, let me know.
Beef Queso Dip
Just in time for football season and comfort food eating season, there’s this queso dip. It’s a crowd favorite and my family raves about it. Stock up on chips and watch this dip disappear at your next party. It’s easy, ready in 15 minutes, and has so much flavor from ground beef, caramelized onions, taco seasoning, Ro-Tel, a sprinkling of cilantro, and of course the cheese. It’s velvety smooth, stays silky and smooth for a long time, and has a perfect fondue-like quality. I haven’t tried it but I think you could successfully make it in a slow cooker.
- 1 pound ground beef (I used 93% lean)
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
- one 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning (I used reduced sodium)
- 1/2 cup water
- two 10-ounce cans Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 32 ounces Velveeta Original Cheese Loaf, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, for garnishing
- tortilla chips, for serving
- To a large Dutch oven, add the ground beef, onion, and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until beef is cooked through and onions are lightly caramelized. Break up the ground beef as it cooks and stir the onions frequently. If your beef is fattier than mine or there’s excess oil/water, drain it before proceeding; I didn’t need to.
- Add the taco seasoning, water (note this is less water than the packet calls for), and stir to combine.
- Add the Ro-Tel and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the Velveeta, and cover to encourage cheese to melt. Stir every minute or so until cheese has melted.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving with chips. Queso is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat gently as necessary.
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip (GF) – aka Queso Dip– Comes together in five minutes in the microwave. Creamy, cheesy, with just a bit of heat!
Easy Cheesy Chili Dip – Just a few ingredients and 5 mins is all you need for this super easy dip packed with flavor! And cheese!
Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Onion Dip – One of my favorite dips of all time! Stir it together in one bowl in minutes and bake for cheesy, perfect comfort food!
Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip – Favorite baked potato fixings baked together in an easy dip that everyone loves!
Easy Jalapeño and Red Pepper Cheese Ball – Just spicy enough that the more you have, the more you want! A fast, easy, and foolproof hit!
Easy Pizza Dip – Cheese lovers and pizza fans will love this fast and easy dip!! Perfect party food that’s a guaranteed hit!
Baked Triple Cheese and Salsa Tortilla Chip Dip – Loaded with 3 kinds of cheese and baked to browned, bubbly, golden perfection!
Hot Cheesy Corn Dip – Two kinds of cheese, corn and green chiles make for an irresistible dip! Easy comfort food that’ll be devoured!
Baked Spinach, Artichoke, and Mozzarella Dip – The classic dip, topped with cheese!
Loaded BLT Dip –