BBQ Chicken Pizza — This amazingly fresh bbq pizza reminds me of California Pizza Kitchen’s bbq chicken pizza except homemade is way better! In just 15 minutes, you have a meal everyone will love!
Table of Contents
Easy Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
This bbq chicken pizza is so good, SO easy, and ready in 15 minutes! And everyone, including kids, love pizza for dinner! This bbq pizza recipe is almost a guaranteed crowd pleaser, and it’s super easy to make.
If you plan on making your own pizza dough from scratch, give yourself more than 15 minutes to make this recipe. Typically, pizza dough needs at least an hour to rise, so plan accordingly.
If you want a high-quality pizza dough but don’t feel like making it yourself, buy some from your local pizza parlor. They usually sell dough by the pound and are more than happy to give it to you!
Besides that, this bbq chicken pizza is a cinch to make. BBQ sauce, cheese, and shredded chicken are the main ingredients, and you bake this pizza for around 10 minutes. I honestly don’t think I could’ve made this recipe easier if I tried!
BBQ Chicken Pizza Ingredients
For this homemade bbq chicken pizza recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- BBQ sauce
- Shredded chicken
- Red onion
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh cilantro
Note: Scroll down to the recipe card section of the post for the ingredients with amounts included and for more complete directions.
You can use any BBQ sauce you’d like for the “pizza sauce.”
Note that I prefer using pre-shredded mozzarella cheese for this recipe.
To save yourself even more time, use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for this recipe (omit the skin though). Rotisserie chicken is super moist and it saves you from having to bake and shred the chicken yourself.
When cutting the red onion, make sure to slice it quite thinly. This pizza won’t be in the oven for long, and you don’t want to bite down on raw onion.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Pizza
This bbq chicken pizza recipe couldn’t be simpler! For the fastest recipe, use a high-quality pizza dough either from the grocery store or from your local slice shop.
Below is an overview of the cooking process for this bbq pizza recipe with chicken:
- Preheat your oven to 475ºF and place a pizza stone in the oven to pre-heat with it (it’s very important that you heat the pizza stone before adding your pizza to it!).
- Roll or stretch the dough into a circle, then top with BBQ sauce, chicken, onions, and cheese.
- Bake your bbq pizza until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden.
- Once the pizza is out of the oven, sprinkle it with fresh cilantro and slice. Homemade pizza is best fresh, but it can be stored in the fridge for up to five days (reheat it in the oven or in a skillet, not the microwave!).
I like to toss the chicken in a little BBQ sauce first to make sure it’s flavored and to help seal in moisture.
I bake my pizzas on a pizza stone and it’s square, so my pizzas tend to be on the square side, which I like to think of as ‘rustic.’ Baking times will vary based on the dough used, how heavily you pile on the toppings (heavy for me, so my pizzas take 12 to 13 minutes), what surface you’re baking on, and personal preference.
Watch closely starting at about 8 minutes, because it’s a very hot oven and the pizza can go from raw to charred in a minute.
The bbq chicken pizza toppings that I used included: chopped chicken (pre-cooked!), red onion, mozzarella, and fresh cilantro. You’re welcome to use different toppings than me, though!
Heck yes! I used regular Sweet Baby Ray’s bbq sauce as my “pizza sauce” and the pizza turned out perfectly. You don’t have to mix the bbq sauce with anything before slathering it on the pizza dough.
The store-bought pizza dough I get is from Trader Joe’s. I don’t even bother with a rolling pin, I just stretch it into place! I’ve baked a lot of pizzas with TJ’s pizza dough, and it’s my family’s favorite.
If you don’t have a pizza stone, that’s okay! You can use a regular baking sheet, if needed. Your crust may not turn out as crunchy, but your pizza will still taste good. Keep the baking sheet in the oven to preheat anyways though.
Pin This Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, if baking on a baking sheet
- one pound fresh pizza dough (scratch or storebought)
- about 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- one quarter of one red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzrella cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 475F. Place pizza stone in the oven if using one (don’t add oil to the stone) or lightly oil a baking sheet with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Roll or stretch pizza dough out into approximately a 10 to 12-inch round or an oblong shape (doesn’t have to be perfect). Place dough onto a well-floured pizza peel if using a stone or onto the baking sheet.
- Evenly spread about 1/3 cup barbecue sauce over the pizza, keeping a 1/2-inch bare margin around the perimeter.
- To a medium bowl, add the chicken, remaining barbecue sauce, and toss to combine.
- Evenly scatter chicken over the pizza.
- Evenly top with red onion, mozzarella, and bake for about 8 to 13 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pizza is done to your liking.*
- Evenly sprinkle with cilantro, slice, and serve immediately. Pizza is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat gently if desired.
*Baking times will vary based on the dough used, how heavily you pile on the toppings, what surface you’re baking on, and personal preference. Watch closely starting at about 8 minutes because it’s a very hot oven and the pizza can go from raw to charred in a minute.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 695mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 17g
More Easy Pizza Recipes:
Puff Pastry Pizza — This EASY pizza is topped with oodles of cheese, pepperoni, bacon, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and has a puff pastry crust!
Easy Mini Pepperoni Pizzas — Ready in 10 minutes, mindlessly easy, and mini food just tastes better! Great as an appetizer, after-school or late-night snack, or as perfect tailgating party food!
Three Cheese Pizza — Homemade pizza is the BEST! And when there are 3 cheeses involved, even better! Fast, easy, and better than calling for pizza delivery.
Mexican Taco Pizza – EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and like eating a taco in pizza form!! Taco-seasoned ground beef on top of refried beans with melted cheese and your favorite taco fixings!!
French Bread Pizza – This FAST and EASY pizza recipe incorporates a French bread crust. This handy shortcut saves you time on busy weeknights to make home-baked pizza a reality. Pizza is always a family FAVORITE and this thick and chewy variety will be a big hit!
Easy Pizza Bake — Skip takeout and make your own warm and cheesy deep dish pizza bake! Fast, easy, and ready in 30 minutes! It’s a keeper everyone loves!
10-Minute Grilled Pepperoni Pizza – The EASIEST and FASTEST pizza you will ever make!! If you’ve never tried making pizza on the grill, you need to try it! It’s foolproof, delicious, faster than calling for delivery, and pizza is always a WINNER!!
Originally posted July 16, 2016 and reposted May 12, 2021 with updated text.