I’ve never been a big pie person because I’m not into crust. I’m into filling.
Most pie has too much crust and not enough filling so I don’t bother.
Instead of blueberry pie, I made a healthy, vegan, gluten-free, no-sugar-added smoothie that tastes like blueberry pie filling. And it’s so good.
I used 1 bag of frozen blueberries, 1 banana, blueberry juice, vanilla, a sugar-free sweetener and blended it. You can substitute with grape, cherry, or pomegranate juice.
Add enough juice to get your blender churning and start pulverizing the blueberries. Amounts will vary depending on how thick you like your smoothies and how juicy the berries are, but I needed almost 1 cup.
Using frozen blueberries ensures you don’t need to add ice, which would water down the smoothie. You can substitute with fresh blueberries if you have extra, but that’s a problem I never have because when they’re in season I inhale them. I save frozen for baking and smoothies.
The banana adds creaminess, richness, smoothness and doesn’t impart any real banana flavor, so you’re safe if you don’t like bananas, or just omit and use a bit less juice. The vanilla rounds it out and provides an authentic pie filling taste.
Based on how sweet you like your smoothies, how sweet the fruit is, how sweet the juice is, sweeten to taste with your favorite sweetener.
My definition of ‘no-sugar-added’ means I did not dump in boatloads of sugar. There may or may not be sugar in the juice selected, and yes all fruit has fructose (sugar), but I didn’t add any.
It’s sweet, satisfying, full of antioxidants, fiber, and tastes like blueberry pie. Minus the crust. A total win.
They went down so easily and my daughter had a blue ‘milk mustache’ around her lips for the rest of the day.
Totally worth it.
Pin This Recipe
- 12 ounces frozen blueberries, do not thaw (fresh may be used, but you’ll likely need to add ice)
- 1 med/large ripe banana (peeled and previously frozen in chunks is ideal)
- about 1 cup blueberry, grape, cherry, or pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweetener, to taste (zero-calorie sweetener, stevia, agave, granulated sugar, etc.)
- Combine all ingredients (except start with about half the amount of juice and add only as necessary to to achieved desired consistency) in the canister of a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Blueberries take awhile to break down, so you may need to blend for a couple minutes.
- Serve immediately. Extra portions may be frozen in freezer-safe (plastic) glasses for up to 3 months. Allow to soften at room temp before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 8gSugar: 50gProtein: 2g
Blueberry Banana Recovery Smoothie (vegan, GF)
Cherry Revitalizer Smoothie (vegan, GF)
Skinny Pina Colada Smoothie (vegan, gluten-free) – Under 100 Calories and tastes just like the real thing
Orange PushUp Smoothie (vegan, GF) – A smoothie that tastes just like an old-fashioned Push-Up! Sweet, creamy & will make you feel like a kid again
Pineapple Banana and Coconut Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Tastes like a virgin pina colada. Sweet, creamy, refreshing & healthy. No need to add sugar since the fruit is sweet enough
Pineapple Mango Vitamin C Booster Smoothie (vegan, GF)
Blueberry Muffin and Buttermilk Pancakes Cake – One of the best coffee cakes I’ve ever made. Highly recommended
Blueberry and Jam Buttermilk Coffee Cake with Buttery Vanilla Glaze – One of the best coffee cakes I’ve ever made. Highly recommended
Blueberry and Cream Cheese Muffin Top Bread – Tastes like one big muffin top. Ridiculously soft and moist