Skinny Pina Colada Smoothie
This Piña Colada Smoothie requires just four ingredients and is naturally vegan and gluten-free. It makes for a quick breakfast or a delicious poolside treat!
Healthy Piña Colada Smoothie Recipe
Oh how I love a piña colada for breakfast. This version doesn’t have alcohol in it, but you can fix that if you’d like. I was sorting through my photos and realized I made this smoothie when we were in Aruba in August and didn’t post the recipe.
It’s now or never, because all of a sudden I feel like I won’t be cool if I don’t have a steady stream of apple and pumpkin recipes coming daily. As much as I enjoy them, I don’t mind hanging onto summer a bit longer.
San Diego and most of Southern Cal gets our hottest weather of the year right now. It’s been in the high 80s to mid 90s every day for the last week. These piña colada smoothie go down very nicely! And I don’t think of piña coladas as only a summertime drink, and can appreciate a smoothie that tastes like a tropical vacation any time of the year.
This pineapple banana smoothie is vegan, gluten-free, and won’t break your caloric piggy bank for the day. It clocks in at under 100 calories.
Pre-made piña colada mix is loaded with empty sugar calories. You may as well just eat frosting with a spoon (it’d probably be more fun that way, too). So I lightened it up, without sacrificing taste or flavor.
To add a pop of coconut flavor for pina colada authenticity without adding calories, I used coconut extract. It’s sold in the baking aisle near vanilla and other extracts. It’s usually much more reasonable than vanilla and only about $2 bucks for a 2-ounce bottle at my grocery store.
If you’re a coconut fan, it’s tasty in everything from buttercream frosting to maple syrup for a fun twist.
The bright pop of pineapple, the creaminess from the banana, along with coconut undertones make this healthy fruit smoothie so satisfying. And with a cherry on top, I can’t think of anything I’d rather be drinking right about now. I wish I was drinking it here.
It’s almost the weekend and I’ll take mine with a shot of rum. It’s after 5 o’clock somewhere.
How to Make a Piña Colada Smoothie
For this almond milk smoothie recipe, you’ll need fresh or frozen pineapple chunks, a banana, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, coconut extract, and your sweetener of choice. You can also add in some shredded coconut and rum if desired, but that’s up to you!
To make the piña colada smoothie, simply combine the pineapple, banana, almond milk, coconut extract, and optional sweetener in a blender. Blend until the smoothie reaches your preferred consistency.
The leftover pineapple banana smoothie mixture can be frozen for up to two months. You just want to make sure the glass is tightly covered with plastic wrap, or store the smoothie in a jar with a lid. You don’t want the freezer smells seeping into your smoothie!
Tips for the Best Piña Colada Smoothie
I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk in this easy smoothie recipe, which only has about 30 calories per 8 ounces. It’s nearly insignificant. If you want to bump up the coconut flavor and don’t care about stats, use coconut milk or a splash of cream of coconut, like Coco Lopez. So good, rich, and creamy.
With that said, I know someone will write saying they don’t like coconut. You really can’t have a piña colada without coconut, and if you like piña coladas, this smoothie will be right up your alley. The coconut flavor isn’t overly intense, promise. However, omit the coconut if you wish.
If you want a thicker smoothie, I suggest freezing the fruit beforehand and adding slightly less almond milk than this recipe calls for. You could even make almond milk ice cubes and throw those into the smoothie to make it extra thick.
And, of course, for a thinner piña colada smoothie just add in more almond milk.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes:
- Frozen Fruit and Yogurt Smoothie — Smoothie recipes with frozen fruit are the best because they don’t need any ice to reach the perfect consistency!
- Strawberry Banana Pineapple Smoothie — Sweet strawberries, creamy bananas, and a splash of pineapple juice helps brighten the smoothie and gives it a subtle tropical vibe!
- Strawberry Pineapple Lava Flow Smoothie — This two-layer smoothie is packed with fresh fruit and is such a treat first thing in the morning.
- Make-Ahead Smoothie Freezer Packs — Prep your breakfasts and snacks for the week with these easy and DELISH freezer pack smoothie recipes!
- PB&J Smoothie — The perfect PB & J flavor in smoothie form! The smoothie gets its jelly flavor from berries rather than actual jelly.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks*
- 1 medium to large ripe banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract, or to taste
- Sweetener, optional and to taste**
- about 1/4 cup shredded coconut, optional and to taste
- splash rum or Malibu Coconut Rum, optional
- maraschino cherries for garnishing, optional
- Combine pineapple, banana, milk, coconut extract, and optional sweetener in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Optionally add rum, to taste, and blend. (Intended for those for whom alcohol consumption is appropriate; always drink responsibly)
- Optionally garnish and serve immediately. Leftover portion may be frozen for up to 2 months.
*Or one 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, in juice
**To keep skinny, use no-calorie sweetener such as liquid vanilla stevia drops, white stevia powder, Splenda, etc.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 36mg Carbohydrates: 52g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 42g Protein: 2g
Even More Smoothie Recipes:
Pineapple Banana and Coconut Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF) — The smoothie is vegan, gluten-free, and there’s no need to add sugar since the fruit is sweet enough. Packed with potassium and Vitamin C to help keep germs at bay!
Pineapple Mango Vitamin C Booster Smoothie (vegan, GF) — The pineapple in this smoothie really sings, the mango gives it an extra layer of sweetness, and the banana helps to provide creaminess.
Orange PushUp Smoothie – If you like Orange PushUps, Orange Creamsicles, Orange Julius, or orange soda, you’ll love this easy, sweet and creamy smoothie!