Making caramel apples was one of my favorite things as a kid. Fall was in the air and Halloween was right around the corner.
These caramel apples are better than I remember because they’re coated not only with sweet, creamy caramel, but with candy. And everything is better with candy.
Those mini packets of candy make my eyes light up.
Whatever you don’t use on the apples is totally fair game for snacking. Of course.
Pin This Recipe
- you will need a lollipop or wooden treat sticks, parchment paper, and a candy thermometer
- 6 apples (green or red, use your favorite)
- 6 decorative lollipop sticks or wooden treat sticks
- 6 SNICKERS®, 6 TWIX®, or 3 cups M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies], finely chopped (or 2 SNICKERS®, 2 TWIX® and 1 cup of [M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Wash and dry apples thoroughly to remove all the wax. Tip – Organic apples work nicely since they do not have any added wax coating.
- Insert lollipop sticks or wooden treat sticks into the stem end of apples; set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Finely chop the SNICKERS®, TWIX®, or M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies. You can also make candy crumbs in a food processor. Set crumbs in a small bowl. Leave out a few larger pieces of candy for decorating.
- Fill a large bowl with ice; set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over low to medium heat and add the granulated sugar, corn syrup and water. Do not stir, but gently move the sugar and water around with a spoon until the sugar resembles wet sand. Place a candy thermometer into the pot and cook until the caramel is a light golden amber and the candy thermometer registers 230 degrees (soft-ball stage), about 15 to 20 minutes. Do not stir. If there are any splatters of sugar that stick to the sides of the pot, use a clean pastry brush dipped in cold water and brush them down. This will help keep the sugar from crystallizing.
- Turn off the heat. Slowly and carefully (the pot will be hot) whisk in half of the heavy cream (1/4 cup). The mixture will bubble violently so use caution. Stir until smooth and shiny. Return to low heat and continue to cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place the pot over the bowl of ice and carefully stir in the remaining cream, butter, vanilla, and salt. Stir until completely combined and allow to cool for 3 to 4 minutes. The caramel is the right temperature when it is cool enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Dip the apples into the caramel to coat and allow the excess caramel to drip off.
- Roll in your desired candy topping, place onto the prepared parchment paper, and decorate with larger candy pieces as desired. Let cool for 3 to 4 hours, or until set.
Recipe from EVITE®
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1889Total Fat: 82gSaturated Fat: 49gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 275gFiber: 11gSugar: 235gProtein: 19g
Check out this post for more info! #LifesBetterTogether #BeThere #Evite