Curry Coconut Oil Sweet Potato Fries with Cucumber Dill Dip
This post may contain affiliate links.
Spicy Sweet Potato Fries with Cucumber Dill Dip — A fast and flavorful twist on sweet potato fries!! The warming notes of the curry are perfectly offset by the cooling dip! Comfort food that’s HEALTHY and EASY!!
Easy Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
I never used to be the biggest fan of curry but recently I can’t get enough of it. I’ve been adding curry powder to cauliflower, chickpeas, soups, sauces, and decided to roast sweet potatoes with it.
The dip is creamy, cooling, the slight crunch from the cucumbers gives it great texture, and it’s the perfect counterbalance to the warming notes of the curry. It’s made with Greek yogurt, grated cucumbers, and dill. It’s very similar to tzatziki sauce minus the garlic and lemon juice.
I could easily make a meal out of these sweet potatoes and dip.
Comfort food that’s fast, easy, and healthy. A nice score, especially come January 1st with all those New Year’s resolutions.
What’s in the Spicy Sweet Potato Fries?
To make the fries as well as the dip for the sweet potato fries, you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes
- Coconut oil
- Curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
- Greek yogurt
- Dried dill
Tip: Your sweet potato fries will only be as spicy as your curry powder. Choose a spicier curry powder for truly spicy sweet potato fries!
How to Make Spicy Sweet Potato Fries
Simply slice the potatoes into fries (I like to peel mine first, but you don’t have to) and then toss with the oil and spices.
Spread the fries onto a foil-lined baking sheet in an even layer. Roast until fork tender, flipping the fries halfway through the bake time.
How Long to Bake Sweet Potato Fries
You’ll need to roast the sweet potato fries for about 30 minutes at 425F. They won’t crisp up like traditional fries, but the edges will brown and become crispy, while the insides stay soft and tender.
What to Dip Sweet Potato Fries In
I dipped these fries into a cucumber dill dip, which pairs nicely with the curry-coated fries. However, plain ketchup would also be good.
How to Reheat Sweet Potato Fries
To reheat leftover fries, I recommend popping them back into a 350F oven for 5 to 10 minutes until warmed through.
What to Eat with Sweet Potato Fries
These spicy sweet potato fries pair well with burgers, sandwiches, wraps, and more! Here are some entrees you can try serving with the roasted sweet potato fries:
- Grilled BLT Turkey Burgers
- Black Bean Burgers
- Chicken Shawarma Salad Bowls
- Sheet Pan Curry Chicken
- Grilled Tandori Chicken
Tips for Making Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
Since coconut and curry are a match made in heaven, I roasted the sweet potato fries with coconut oil. It adds a subtle coconut flavor and enhances the natural sweetness already present in the sweet potatoes, but you can substitute with olive oil if you’re coconut averse.
The sweet potatoes are soft, tender, and nicely spiced with curry without being overpowering. Two teaspoons worked great for me but since all curry powders vary in intensity as do personal preferences for the intensity of the curry flavor, add to taste.
For spicier sweet potato fries, opt for a spicier curry powder, simple as that!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil, in the liquid state (melt if necessary)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cilantro or Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely minced; optional for garnishing
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- 1/2 cup grated seedless English cucumber, grated on the coarsest blade of a box grater and wrung out
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar, optional and to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
- To the baking sheet, add the potatoes, evenly drizzle with coconut oil, and evenly sprinkle with curry powder, salt, pepper, and toss potatoes with hands to coat evenly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Toss once midway through baking to ensure even cooking. Cooking time will vary based on size of sweet potatoes.
- While sweet potatoes bake, make the dip.
- To a medium bowl, add the Greek yogurt, cucumber (grate on a box grater and then wring out the cucumber in paper towels very well so you don’t add excess water to the dip), salt, pepper, dill, and stir to combine.
- Taste and check for seasoning balance, adding sugar or more salt, pepper, cucumber, etc. if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve with the fries.
- Remove fries from the oven and optionally garnish with cilantro or parsley before serving with dip served on the side.
Fries are best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days, reheat gently as necessary. Dip will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days, noting it will become more watery as time passes as the cucumber releases juices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 1260mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 8gSugar: 27gProtein: 14g
More Sweet Potato Sides:
Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Honey-Cinnamon Dip – The honey glaze and the creamy cinnamon dip make these potatoes irresistible!!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad – Goodbye mayo-loaded, mushy, boring potato salad. Hello to a Mexican-inspired potato salad full of flavor and texture with corn, black beans, peppers, and cilantro!
Honey Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes — Soft, tender potatoes with crispy skin and the most HEAVENLY melted honey butter on top!! EASY comfort food that’s a perfect side dish anytime!!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole — A HEALTHIER and DELICIOUS twist on sweet potato casserole!! The potatoes and apples retain some texture with the perfect amount of crumble topping!
Sweet Potato Bites — Sliced sweet potato rounds are brushed with a maple cinnamon-and-sugar mixture, baked, and then topped with marshmallows and pecans!
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows — Sweet, creamy, decadent, and reminiscent of sweet potato casserole but individually portioned! FAST and EASY enough for family dinners or make them for more formal holiday celebrations!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.