Easy Chicken Shawarma Salad Bowls – An EASY version of chicken shawarma that’s fast, HEALTHY, and delish!! Fragrant spices, juicy lemony chicken, fresh veggies, and a tangy Greek-yogurt sauce that’s cooling and PERFECT!!
I’m not an expert in middle eastern cooking but I am an expert at throwing together a 30-minute chicken dinner that’s loaded with flavors and textures galore.
That’s what these chicken shawarma bowls are all about. Fast, easy, healthy, delicious. Some of the best and most flavorful chicken I’ve made in ages and the chickpeas are irresistible.
Chicken is quickly cooked on a skillet in a mixture of olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, coriander, garlic, and lemon juice. It’s incredibly juicy, tender, moist, and over the top flavorful. We could stop right here and I know you’d be happy.
The extra pan juices from the chicken are perfect for simmering the chickpeas. You could skip this step if you’re in an absolute hurry but I love the texture and flavor they develop this way. I couldn’t stop picking at them. I should have made a double batch.
Serve the chicken and chickpeas with juicy cucumber and tomatoes, season with fresh parsley, and add the creamy Greek yogurt-based sauce.
It’s an easy, whisk-together, lemony sauce with a pop of cumin and coriander. It ties the complements the recipe perfectly and is wonderfully cooling. It reminds me a bit of tzatziki sauce, minus the cucumber and dill.
Although traditional chicken shawarma is served with tabbouleh, farro, rice, lentils, or a grain of that nature, I decided to omit the grains in the sake of saving some carbs and we didn’t miss them. Carb up if you prefer, of course. As I prepared the recipe, it’s naturally gluten-free.
It’s a great meal prep recipe that will get you set up with lunches (or dinners) for half the week.
Pin This Recipe
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (regular paprika may be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- one 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed (I use no-salt added), seasoned with salt and pepper if desired
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, if necessary
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced if using regular tomatoes or halved if using cherry/grape tomatoes
- 2 cups English cucumber, diced small
- 1/2 cup red onions, diced small; optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt (must be Greek yogurt, I used 0% fat)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, or as desired for consistency
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed, optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste
- Chicken – To a large skillet, add the oil, chicken, evenly sprinkle with cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, flipping intermittently so all sides cook evenly.
- When chicken is about 90% cooked through, reduce the heat to medium-low, add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant; stir intermittently.
- Add the lemon juice (use caution because it will bubble up), and allow chicken to simmer another 1 to 2 minutes, or until done. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon (save the pan juices) and place chicken in bowl(s).
- Salad – Add the chickpeas to the cooking juices in the skillet, season with salt and pepper if desired, add oil if necessary, stir to coat, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes; stir intermittently. Transfer the chickpeas and any cooking juices to the bowl(s) with the chicken.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, optional red onions, and evenly sprinkle with parsley; set aside.
- Sauce – To a medium bowl, add all ingredients, whisk to combine, taste, and check for flavor balance. Add additional salt, pepper, lemon juice, pinch sugar, etc. if necessary, to taste. Evenly drizzle sauce over bowl(s), to taste. Recipe is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days; do not add the sauce if you're doing planned leftovers/meal prep and keep separate. Extra sauce will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 681Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 1586mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 12gSugar: 13gProtein: 60g
Chicken Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Sauce – Chicken gyros transformed into a healthy salad with an easy homemade tzatziki sauce that’s loaded with tangy dill flavor! Ready in 20 minutes!
Greek Pita Chip Salad – Greek salad just got a makeover! Still uses classic ingredients like red peppers, cucumbers, onions, olives, and feta but now there are pita chips for extra crunch and texture! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes!
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry – An easy one-skillet curry that’s ready in 30 minutes and is layered with so many fabulous flavors! Healthy comfort food that tastes amazing!
Tabbouleh – Never had it? Think couscous or quinoa mixed with vegetables, herbs, lemon and olive oil! Easy, no cooking required, healthy, and packed with so much flavor!
Chicken Orzo Salad – Juicy chicken tossed with orzo, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and a super flavorful lemon vinaigrette! Easy, healthy, ready in 30 minutes, and a perfect way to use your garden fresh veggies!
Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad – Fast, easy, and fresh! Bright flavors and loads of texture! This clean-eating salad keeps you full and satisfied! Healthy never tasted so good!
Garden Fresh Quinoa Salad – Loaded with everything fresh, light, healthy! Great for parties, potlucks, and lunch boxes because there’s no mayo! Easy and flavorful!
Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls – Juicy chicken along with your favorite burrito ingredients served in a bowl! Pile the toppings sky high and not worry about a wrap breaking, plus it’s a little healthier! Easy and ready in 15 minutes!
15 Chicken Dinners Ready in 15 Minutes – EASY dinners that are ready in a flash and PERFECT for busy weeknights!! DELISH, healthy, and guaranteed to please your toughest dinner critics!!
30 Best Easy Healthy Salads – Break out of your salad rut with these AMAZING salads!! Fast, EASY, and FLAVORFUL!! You’ll want to put them into your regular rotation!!