Easy 15-Minute Fish Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa
This post may contain affiliate links.
San Diego is a hot spot for fish tacos. They’re served everywhere from sit-down restaurants to cash-only taco stands.
They’re a year-round thing but warmer weather just screams to bring on the fish tacos.
It’s an easy, family-friendly recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes. You may even change the mind’s of those who say they, ‘don’t like fish’ with these tacos.
The fish is lightly floured and pan-seared for a barely-there crispy crust while retaining a moist, flaky, and tender interior.
I used tilapia because it’s sustainable, neutral-tasting, and oh yes, cheaper than most. Or try another white fish including halibut, catfish, or cod.
Add the fish to the fajita or taco shells, top with cheese right away so it melts a bit, and then add the salsa. It’s a refreshing salsa that’s both creamy from the avocado with lots of crunch from the corn, cabbage, and cucumbers.
I’m a cilantro fiend and use plenty because I love the flavor it adds, but play with ingredient ratios based on your preferences. The vegetables soften as time passes from the apple cider vinegar and lime juice and the flavors marry and it tastes even better. You can make a double batch of salsa and eat it with chips which is what I do.
Salsa (extra is great with chips or make a double-batch)
- 3/4 cup red cabbage, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup corn (I use frozen that I thaw before adding)
- 3/4 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 to 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lime juice (lemon juice may be substituted)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons agave (honey may be substituted), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- flour, for lightly dredging fish
- 2 large tilapia filets (about 1 pound)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fajita or taco shells
- about 1 cup white cheese or a white cheese blend (such as queso quesadilla, oxaca, asadera, Monterrey Jack, etc.)
- Salsa – Add all ingredients to a large bowl in the order listed, toss well to coat evenly, taste, and make any desired flavor adjustments; set aside.
- Fish – To a large skillet, add the butter, oil, and heat over medium-high heat to melt butter.
- Dredge fish through flour, coating both sides.
- Add fish to skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on first side.
- Flip, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes on second side, or until fish is lightly golden browned on both sides and cooked through.
- If desired, lightly warm each fajita shell momentarily on a dry skillet over medium-high heat before adding fish.
- Slice fish, add to fajita shells, top with cheese, salsa, and serve immediately. Tacos are best warm and fresh. Extra salsa will keep airtight for up to 2 days, noting that avocados will oxidize and vegetables will continue to soften and release water as time passes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1061Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 1460mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 9gSugar: 18gProtein: 76g
Easy Six-Layer Baked Taco Cups – Fast, easy, and accidentally healthy! Your favorite taco fixings in individually-portioned cups!
Healthy Beefy Tacos (vegan) – Just like the real thing but a million times healthier! So good, hearty and taste JUST like the real deal!
Sweet-and-Sour Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry – Big juicy shrimp and crunchy veggies coated in tangy sauce are a hit with everyone!! Easy, healthy, ready in 20 minutes, and way better than takeout!
D0-It-Yourself Guacamole Bar – Make your own guacamole bar and have fun taste-testing the options! Great party idea that everyone loves!
Coconut Shrimp with Orange-Chili Dipping Sauce – Plump, juicy shrimp with a crispy, crunchy coconut coating!! Fast, easy, and better than you get in restaurants! Will be your new favorite shrimp recipe!
The Best Peach Mango Salsa (vegan, GF) – Fast, easy, and tastes a million times better than anything storebought!
Easy Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa – Make your own salsa in minutes! Fast, easy, goofproof and tastes 1000x better than anything you’d buy!
Loaded Guacamole Nachos – Fresh, easy homemade guac on top of cheesy chips is totally irresistible! These disappear fast!
Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries – One of my most popular recipes ever!
Lightened Up Corn and Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa (vegetarian/vegan option) – You don’t have to derail your diet to enjoy hearty & satisfying comfort food! This version is only about 300 calories and ready in 15 minutes!
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas (vegetarian) – Healthier comfort food that everyone will love! Fast, easy and tastes amazing!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.