Mexican Cheesy Sausage and Egg Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links.
Mexican Cheesy Sausage and Egg Casserole – EASY, hearty, loaded with sausage, tons of CHEESE, and topped with avocado!! This is a family favorite that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner!!
The next time you need a family-friendly breakfast, brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner recipe that has Mexican-inspired flavors, look no further that this one.
It’s hearty, fast, easy, there are big chunks of taco-seasoned sausage in every bite along with juicy red peppers, and it’s extra cheesy.
That’s because I used two packages of Horizon Organic Mexican Style Organic Shredded Cheese. Make any dish better with a sprinkle of this organic cheesy goodness.
From quesadillas to enchiladas to taco-stuffed avocados, this is a perfect easy-melting cheese that you will love in your favorite Mexican recipes like this taco salad or tortilla soup. There are no shortage of ways to use cheese in my world.
While I love cheese in any way or form, when it’s golden browned like on the top of this casserole, I am in cheese nirvana. I literally picked off the golden browned edges and savored them immensely. No shame.
I added Horizon Organic Whole Milk to the eggs before I whisked them up. The milk helps give the eggs some fluff and lift.
There are no GMOs, no antibiotics, no added hormones, no persistent pesticides, and Horizon® believes in the humane treatment of cows. If it says Horizon® Organic on the carton, you know what’s inside comes from happy cows on family-run organic farms. Horizon® Milk brings 50% more vitamin D than typical whole milk in every delicious serving.
I garnished the casserole with avocado and cilantro but you could also try green onions instead.
It’s the type of recipe that you can easily bulk up if you’re trying to stretch it to feed a very large crowd by adding corn or a can of black beans.
Although I haven’t tried it, I imagine that you could keep this dish vegetarian by replacing the sausage with black beans.
I love recipes that you can mix and match with and this is one of them.
Here’s a video showing you how I make the casserole.
- one pound fresh pork sausage, casings removed
- one medium/large sweet Vidalia onion
- one 1.25-ounce packet taco seasoning (I used reduced sodium medium heat)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Horizon Organic Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- two 6-ounce packages Horizon Organic Mexican Style Shredded Cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- half of 1 Hass avocado, diced
- cilantro, for garnishing (green onions may be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray a large casserole or baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large skillet, add the sausage, onion, and cook over medium high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through and no longer pink; stir intermittently and crumble sausage as it cooks.
- Evenly sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir to combine.
- Transfer sausage and onion mixture to prepared baking dish and form an even flat layer; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Add one package of cheese, bell pepper, and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage in the baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the second package of cheese over the top and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese is as lightly golden browned as desired. I baked for 35 minutes because I like the cheese on the darker side but bake as long as necessary noting that all climates, ingredients, and sizes/shapes of baking dishes differ so baking time will vary.
- Evenly top with avocado and cilantro before serving. Dish is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 313mgSodium: 1483mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 24g
Egg-In-A-Hole Avocado Toast – Slathering warm egg-in-a-hole toast with a creamy chive and lime-scented avocado spread is beyond delicious! It’s an easy recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes and is perfect anytime!
Easy Eggs, Sausage, and Hash Browns Skillet – Hearty comfort food that’s worth getting out of bed for! Great for brunch or as breakfast-for-dinner! Ready in 30 minutes and packed with big flavors!
Bacon Cheddar Egg Casserole – Crisp bacon, melted cheese, and green onions add so much flavor! Hearty but stays perfectly light thanks to a secret ingredient! Easy nd perfect for breakfast, lazy brunches, or breakfast-for-dinner!
White Cheddar and Dijon Baked Eggs – Fast and easy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes! The Dijon and cheese jazz these eggs right up!
Easy Spinach and Tomato Frittata – Ready in 10 minutes and healthy! Perfect for any meal!! Great for using up odds-and-ends veggies, too!
Kale and Tomato Frittata – Extremely easy, ready in 10 minutes, and healthy! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or easy weeknight dinners because you can whip it up in minutes!
100-Calorie Cheese, Vegetable and Egg Muffins (GF) – Healthy, easy, and only 100 calories! You’ll want to keep a stash on hand!
Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata – Creamy eggs with crispy hash browns and made in one skillet!
Eggs In Hell with Italian Sausage – Sometimes called Eggs in Purgatory or shakshuka, this easy dish includes eggs poached in tomatoes with sausage and garlic for tons of flavor! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner!
Post is brought to you by Horizon. The recipe, images, text, video, and opinions expressed are my own. #HorizonOrganic
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.