Strawberry Cookie Bars with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links.
Frosted Strawberry Cake Mix Cookie Bars — Soft, chewy, and bursting with strawberry flavor!! The frosting and sprinkles make these easy, goof-proof bars taste even better! Perfect for parties and holidays!!
Strawberry Cookie Bars … From Cake Mix!
My daughter loves strawberry desserts and these strawberry cookie bars bars were an instant hit with her.
And anything with cream cheese frosting is automatically a head above the rest in my book.
The bars are incredibly easy to make because I used strawberry cake mix. Sometimes you need shortcuts and the cake mix gives the bars exactly the consistency I want. Soft, chewy, and ironically not cakey.
The sweet strawberry flavor pairs perfectly with the tangy vanilla cream cheese frosting. I love that the frosting layer is nearly as thick as the bars.
The bars are perfect for Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, bridal and baby showers, and put me in the mood for spring and summer.
Ingredients in Strawberry Cake Mix Cookie Bars
If you’re looking for desserts ideas for strawberry cake mix, you have to make these cookie bars! For this recipe, you’ll need:
- Strawberry cake mix
- Unsalted butter
- Cream cheese
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (optional)
How to Make Strawberry Cake Mix Cookie Bars
To make strawberry cookie bars from a cake mix, follow these basic instructions:
- To a large bowl, add the cake mix, butter, egg, and stir until all ingredients are combined. Dough will be thick.
- Turn dough out onto a foil-lined 9×13-inch pan. Press lightly with a spatula to create an even, flat layer.
- Bake until the center is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs but no batter.
- Allow the bars to cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour. Make sure bars are completely cooled before frosting them or the frosting will melt!
What Box Cake Mix Should I Use?
Any boxed strawberry cake mix will work! I used Duncan Hines, but use your favorite brand.
Can I Use Gluten-Free Cake Mix?
Of course! Use your favorite brand.
Tips for Making Cookies Bars with Strawberry Cake Mix
You don’t mix up the cake mix as if you were making a cake. Instead, simply add one stick of butter and an egg before pressing the dough into a pan. It’ll be thick and dense, but the softer the butter is the easier the dough comes together.
If you don’t have the time or desire to make homemade frosting, go ahead and buy a tub of store-bought frosting. No judgement here!
Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. I’m comfortable storing items with cream cheese frosting at room temperature, but if you’re not, store in the fridge noting bars will be more prone to drying out in the fridge.
- one 15.25-ounce box strawberry cake mix (try Betty Crocker or Pillsbury, Duncan Hines
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very well softened
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (lite okay)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar (sifted if it’s particularly lumpy)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sprinkles, optional and to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- To a large bowl (or to the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment), add the cake mix, butter, egg, and stir together by hand or beat with a handheld electric mixer on medium-high speed until all ingredients are combined. (Do not use the ingredients listed on the box or follow those directions because you are not making cake; use the ingredients and directions listed in my recipe.) Dough will be thick.
- Turn dough out into prepared pan using your fingertips or a spatula to help press it into corners. Press lightly with a spatula to create an even, flat layer. It’ll be on the thiner side.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until center is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs but no batter.
- Allow bars to cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour. Make sure bars are completely cooled before frosting them or the frosting will melt.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment) add the cream cheese, butter, and beat with an electric mixer on high-speedy until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and beat until smooth and incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Turn frosting out over bars and spread into a smooth, flat layer using a spatula or knife.
- Optionally add sprinkles, to taste.
Bars will keep airtight at room temp for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. I’m comfortable storing items with cream cheese frosting at room temp, but if you’re not, store in the fridge noting bars will be more prone to drying out in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 0gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g
More Easy Strawberry Desserts:
Gooey Strawberry Cake Mix Brownies — An EASY five-ingredient recipe for soft and chewy strawberry bars studded with white chocolate chips and spiked with sweetened condensed milk for the GOOEY win!!
Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Frosting — Soft, tender cake loaded with FRESH strawberries and a sweet strawberry frosting!! An EASY strawberry layer cake that’s perfect for parties!
Strawberry Lemonade Bars — Imagine crossing lemon bars with a strawberry pie. These easy bars taste like strawberry lemonade! Sooo good!
Strawberry Cheesecake Bars — Soft, buttery bars topped with cheesecake and swirled with strawberry jam! The best of all worlds in these fast, easy, and amazing bars!
The Best Strawberry Banana Bread — Super soft, moist bread with tons of juicy strawberries! Easy, no-mixer recipe, and THE BEST use for ripe bananas!
Strawberry Poke Cake — This strawberry Jello cake uses just four ingredients and is a hit at parties and potlucks! It’s a moist, refreshing dessert you’ll definitely want seconds of!
Strawberry Oatmeal Bars with Crumble Topping — These buttery bars are bursting with fresh strawberries!! Just 10 minutes of prep, so EASY because the crust and crumble are one and the same, and a crowd FAVORITE every time!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.