Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie
This post may contain affiliate links.
I’m in my glory now that strawberry season is in full effect.
And there’s always room for another strawberry recipe.
Especially for a refreshing smoothie that tastes like strawberry shortcake. I made it in honor of National Strawberry Shortcake Day, which is June 14.
Strawberry Shortcake has been a classic American dessert for over 100 years and Driscoll’s has been the strawberry in everyone’s shortcake for more than 100 years.
To make this flavorful smoothie I used 1 pound of fresh Driscoll’s strawberries, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and two small angel food cake strawberry shortcake dessert shells, which I tossed in the blender with the berries and milk.
The flavor of the shells is subtle, but they help create an authentic strawberry shortcake flavor.
Dessert shells are typically sold in the bakery section of your grocery store or near the strawberries in the produce section. If you can’t find them, use about 1 cup diced angel food cake.
I didn’t add sugar in order to keep the smoothie healthier. Fresh, juicy, ripe berries are sweet enough, and with the gentle sweetness from the dessert shells, I didn’t need sugar, but sweeten to taste if desired.
A dollop of whipped cream or whipped topping would be the literal icing on this drinkable strawberry shortcake, but I refrained so I could enjoy the smoothie as a healthy breakfast or snack.
The recipe serves two and if you don’t need the second portion right away, freeze it for later. Dirty your blender once, drink twice is my motto.
For a fun twist, blend in a splash of rum for frozen strawberry shortcake daiquiris or tequila for strawberry shortcake margaritas. You wouldn’t have to twist my arm.
The smoothie is packed with bold strawberry flavor and unlike many of my other smoothies that use bananas, this one doesn’t. There’s nothing detracting from the wonderfully intense strawberry flavor it has.
It’s the best strawberry shortcake I ever drank.
- 1 pound fresh Driscoll’s strawberries, cleaned and hulled
- 2 small strawberry shortcake dessert shells, about 3-inches in diameter (or substitute with 1 cup diced angel food cake)
- about 1 cup milk, or an necessary for consistency (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk, use your favorite milk)
- To the canister of a blender, add the strawberries, dessert shells, and milk. Add additional milk only if necessary to get blender moving and until desired smoothie consistency is reached.
- Blend on high power until smooth.
- Pour mixture into 2 glasses and serve immediately or if you prefer the smoothie more chilled, put glasses into freezer for about 15 minutes. Recipe serves two, and if desired, extra portion will keep airtight in the freezer for up to 1 month (cover a freezer-safe glass with plasticwrap or place inside a ziplock to prevent freezer smells). Allow to come up to room temp for about 30 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 703Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 9gSugar: 34gProtein: 15g
Strawberry Banana Pineapple Smoothie (vegan, GF) – No sugar needed in this refreshing, 3-ingredient, healthy smoothie
Strawberries and Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Like a strawberry milkshake but healthier! Sweet, creamy & satisfying
Blueberry Pie Smoothie – A healthy, no-sugar-added smoothie that tastes like a blueberry pie
Cherry Revitalizer Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Gives you energy and leaves you feeling refreshed and revitalized
Cream Cheese-Swirled Cherry and Mixed Berries Cake – A copycat Entenmann’s cake
Strawberries and Cream Coffee Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze – One of the best coffee cakes I’ve ever had or made. Use your favorite fresh, frozen, or seasonal fruit in this incredibly moist and soft cake batter
Strawberry and Sprinkles Buttermilk Pancakes – Soft, fluffy, light, and loaded with strawberries and sprinkles
This post was brought to you by Driscoll’s. The recipe, images, and opinions expressed are my own. Follow @driscollsberry #StrawShortcake for more strawberry ideas and recipes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.