Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars

Growing up I used to eat Golden Grahams like they were going out of style.

Oh, how I loved them so.

The sweetness.  The crunch.  The texture.

Everything about them was perfect.

But up until this recipe I had never really cooked with them.

Or baked with them.

But since I love Bars in all variations and varieties…

From Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Marshmallow Stuffed Rice Krispie Bars (No Bake)

To Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting (No Bake)

To my love of White Chocolate in Bars

White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars – 4 Layers

It was about time I make use of Golden Grahams in bars

I combined the GG’s with fluffy marshmallow creme, more sugar sweetened condensed milk, two kinds of chocolate chips and baked it all.

Baked smores bars

Deep Dish style

My childhood spent as a Brownie and a Girl Scout also ingrained in me a deep love of smores.

And who said you need a campfire and sleeping on rock hard ground to make smores?

These bars are sticky

And this is a really rich and really sweet dessert

If you’re the type of person who frequently says things like, “Oh, that’s way too sweet for me” then don’t make this dessert.

It just leaves more for the rest of us

And this is a messy one!

Your hands will get super sticky

Or you can be a cheater and use silverware.

I was pretending I was a Girl Scout eating smores around the campfire when I was eating these.  Totally messy and sticky and loving it.

Thankfully I was indoors and wasn’t getting any mosquito bites while sitting around the campfire waiting for my marshmallows to perfectly roast.

[print_this]

Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars

5 c Golden Grahams cereal (if you like drier bars, use 6 c of cereal)

one 7-oz. jar marshmallow creme

one can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 c white chocolate chips

1 c chocolate chips

+ 1/3 c white chocolate chips for sprinkling on top prior to baking

+ 1/3 c chocolate chips for sprinkling on top prior to baking

Directions:

Place marshmallow creme, condensed milk, and vanilla extract into a large bowl and stir until well combined.  Add the cereal, 1 c white and 1 c chocolate chips, and stir to combine.

Take mixture and press into a foil-lined 9 x 9 pan (you can use a bigger pan, i.e. 9 x 11 or 9 x 13 but the bars will not be as thick and deep dish style) and I highly recommend using foil-lined.  You cannot imagine the sticky mess you are creating.  Use foil.

Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/3 c each of white and dark chocolate chips before baking

Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes for very gooey bars with a runnier filling

Or

Bake closer to 25-30 minutes for more solid and less runny/gooey bars (I like runny, messy, marshmallow dripping everywhere smores so I baked for 18 minutes)

Allow bars to cool before slicing and serving.

Store at room temp or the fridge.

You can freeze these and keep them on hand for months  Pull one or two or a half dozen bars out of the freezer as needed and allow to come to room temp before eating, about 20 minutes.

Notes:

If you don’t like Golden Grahams, use another cereal.

If you don’t like white chocolate, omit it.  And use more dark/milk chocolate if desired.

To make these vegan, use vegan white chocolate and vegan marshmallows for both the marshmallow creme portion as well as the added marshmallows. Use full fat coconut milk sweetened with agave for the sweetened condensed milk.  Use a vegan-friendly cereal.

To make them gluten free, use GF cereal and read the labels if you are extremely gluten sensitive for the marshmallow creme and other ingredients.

[/print_this]

A Visual Guide

Marshmallow Creme + Sweetened Condensed Milk + Vanilla

Add the marshmallows + white chocolate chips+ chocolate chips + cereal

Press into your foil-lined pan, sprinkle more chips on top, & bake

Cool, Slice, & Serve

These were so easy

And sweet!

And crunchy but not too crunchy

All that sweetened condensed milk and marshmallow creme softens the cereal, creating an authentic smores filling

Even if it is a little messy and splooges everywhere.  Just like real smores.

Creating smores with graham cereal rather than graham crackers was a win for me

These bars combine the best of so many worlds:

Golden Grahams

White Chocolate

Dark Chocolate

Marshmallow Cream

Sweetened Condensed Milk

They are messy, but messy is good

You can store them in the fridge/freezer and the filling will be more solid, but as they come to room temp (or fresh baked straight from the oven) the filling is runnier and messier

Melted marshmallow fluff + a can of sweetened condensed milk = smores “sauce” (bake longer or use the higher called for amount of cereal if you don’t like sauce but I love it)

And be prepared to speed dial your dentist from all that sugar you just ate.  Blame it on the Girl Scouts.

From my last post, lots of you are big Mango fansMe too, as I counted the many ways.

1. Do you like Smores?  When was the last time you had them?

If you say no, you don’t like smores, I don’t believe you.

The last time I had official campfire-made smores was probably about 10 years ago at a beach bonfire.  Has it really been 10 years since I’ve had an official campfire-roasted marshmallow?

You know the kind where you get too impatient to twirl that stick around any longer on the fringes of the fire and end up just sticking it right into the fire and then blowing off the flaming ‘mallow and eating it.  Black char, burnt sugar, some slivers of tree stick and somehow can’t wait for the next one.  Those are memories, I tell you!

2. Any childhood cereals you loved? Do you still eat them or like them?

Capn’ Crunch, Cocoa Krispies, Rice Krispies, Chex, Clusters, Mutligrain Cheerios, Kix, I could go on and on.  I grew up on cereal!  Loved it.

Ate it for breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner.  Not on the same day though.

As a mom now, I know why breakfast-for-dinner happened every once in awhile in my house growing up.  Some nights pancakes or waffles, eggs, and Cheerios were what we had.

I haven’t had many of the cereals I listed in years because I am gluten sensitive and although I am less sensitive overall, there are still foods I really need to limit and watch or I just feel awful and it’s no “treat” is worth feeling awful for days over.

I’ve been enjoying these bars but am mindful not to overdue it because of the gluten.  I may make these with a GF cereal that’s similar to Golden Grahams but for this recipe, I just had to have the original GG’s.

Good thing Cocoa Krispies are made of rice, not wheat.  As my wheels turn for what to make with those.  Maybe a version of these.

3. Best thing you ate or did all weekend?

The great summery weather, time with Skylar, and sharing these bars with her has rocked!

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts from the Friday, here are mine:

Have a great week ahead!

83 Responses to “Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars”

JaimeFNP — August 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I want to cry, these look so good. seriously. (NOM)^10

Michaela — August 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm

the recipe- finally! thanks for pointing out the vegan options. it looks like you served them with a sauce, they look so drippy!
    I have had smores once, before going vegetarian, and I only thought they were “ok”. Also I am not a big fan of cereals (that is mostly bc while growing up we only had oatmeal and cornflakes), though I loved staying at my grandparents house and eating crunchy nutty cluster cereal (I can´t remember the name ;)).
    I had a weekend filled with party, laughter and friends- totally worthy the lack of sleep :D
    have a great week, too!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 28th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Melted marshamallow + sweetened condensed milk is what you’re seeing

• Michaela replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I thought so ;)
        btw, just spotted your new header and it looks great!!

dragonmamma/naomi — August 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Rob and I finished off our last pound of scallops from Anderson Seafoods. This time I sauteed them with thin strips of zucchini and smothered them in hollandaise sauce. Soooo good! Wah, now the scallops are all gone! It was great while it lasted. But I still have the albacore steaks in the freezer.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

YUM! My friends and I “invented” peebsmores on a camping trip one year-peanut butter s’mores! They’re divine. I haven’t had any s’mores this summer, but we usually get together around the fire at least once a summer and do them! I’ve been craving them but I haven’t been able to find vegan marshmallows in any stores around here!

WHen I was little I loved sugary cereal. Frosted Mini Wheats and Frosted Flakes? Yes please. Actually, I liked corn flakes doused in sugar better because then you had sugar at the bottom of the bowl. And Cap’n Crunch Berries! I didn’t get into Golden Grahams until college, but boy I loved them then! I was a Cinnamon Toast Crunch girl prior.

Lauren — August 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Wow, these look insanely delicious. I don’t think I’ve ever had Golden Grahams. Seriously, what is wrong with me? LoL

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 28th, 2011 at 6:02 pm

are you serious?! GIRL!! It’s like saying you’ve never had Coca-Cola..it’s just one of those things you HAVE to try!

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — August 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hah, you said “splooges!” Oh man, I cannot remember the last time I had an honest-to-goodness s’more—these bars look fantastic!

Growing up, I loooved Crispix. Golden Grahams was another favorite—it’s all about texture. These days, I tend to prefer shredded wheat, though I’ve been digging Puffins lately.

In preparation for the hurricane, I went to ride it out at my parents’ house, and my mom and I made a ton of roasted veggies and a pesto pasta salad. There was also a lot of good wine involved. We ended up not losing power, though. Being thankful for electricity made this morning’s breakfast (oats with cocoa, chia seeds, banana and cottage cheese with berries on top) taste extra good!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 28th, 2011 at 6:03 pm

glad you’re safe from the storm!

Puffins. havent had in about a year. Must buy those again !

Holly @ The Runny Egg — August 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I love smores and any type of sugary kid cereal — fruitie pebbles, count chocolua, cinn toast crunch, lucky charms, you name it and I’ll eat it.

I’d like a big scoop of your smores in a bowl covered in milk and eaten like cereal — sounds like heaven to me!

Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin' — August 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I haven’t had smores since girl scouts!! So, high school. lol I was a girl scout til my freshman year of college. :) My favorite childhood cereals were grapenuts, cheerios and smart start..I was a weird one. :) Your sweet treat recipes and pictures always look amazingg!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 28th, 2011 at 6:04 pm

not weird, just healthy! :)

i actually go for total raisin bran-ish, really healthy cereals OR total sugar fest.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I never like s’mores – but am not a chocolate girl so that makes sense. When I was a kid, my fave cereal was Apple Jacks. I’d eat that until my mouth was just raw.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 28th, 2011 at 6:05 pm

i forgot about , cinn toast crunch, lucky charms, and apple jacks, some of my all time faves! apple jacks..there is nothing like those on earth! they dont taste like apples but they sure are good!

Pure2raw twins — August 28, 2011 at 5:49 pm

oh my that looks ridiculously good! seriously wish I could grab some out of the computer screen

Stephanie — August 28, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Oh my gosh I’m making these pronto! I’ve been waiting for a recipe of a bar with ALL of my favorite ingredients! I love golden grahams! They have an organic version that is awesome as well!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Oh wow these look AMAZING! If these are the photos you had to retake, they look great so it was definitely worth the extra effort :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 28th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

yes, these were the ones. this set of photos is NIGHT AND DAY from Round 1. Which were totally un-useable. Thanks for remembering that little detail :)

cathy — August 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm

what a fabulous idea and post, averie. your sense of humour just cracks me up!!!
    “be prepared to speed dial your dentist from all that sugar you just ate” – > a gem!
    what a zany idea for squares…so out there that it’ll work. nice work on the recipe!!
    i ADORE cereal and love “kids’” cereal – i have to watch the gluten a bit, too, so eat gf cereals more often, but i tell you, nothing beats cap’n crunch some days!
    smores: have not had them since childhood. i associate them with campfires and have not sat around one of those in eons, either!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 2:03 am

i am glad you tell me you like my jokes, thank you :) makes me feel less like a goofball knowing i made at least one person laugh!

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — August 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Um, I think all I have got to say is wow. Those look absolutly INSANE. I used to eat cheerios with cranberry juice like they were going out of style when I was a kid! But I was never really that into cereal. I liked cinnamon buns and toast and jam way more! Did you ever have cinnamon spread? It was basically hydrogenated margarine with cinnamon, sugar and chemicals. And it was SOOOOOO good.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 2:02 am

growing up i used to put the thickest layers of butter/marg on bread as well as cinny/sugar. so yes, very familiar :) I still do it..not on bread though. And usually with coconut oil now!

• Ali @ Urbanfruitbat replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 7:56 am

Haha, yeah! I used to do margarine and peanut butter sandwiches! YECK!

blossjoss — August 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Its been entirely too long since I’ve had smores too! Not quite 10 years, but maybe 3? or 5? Too long! I’m looking forward to a few fall campfires.

BroccoliHut — August 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm

These look so delicious! Golden Grahams was one of my favorite cereals growing up, so I can’t wait to try these:)

Amanda @ xo, Amanda — August 28, 2011 at 6:50 pm

What a great idea! Although I’m a desserts-obsessed person, I’m also one of those silly “that’s too sweet” people, but I love me some smores. Thinking of trying to modify this with just the golden grahams, chocolate chips, & marshmallow fluff (preferably ricemallow cream, but I haven’t been able to find it lately!). Ya got my wheels churning now…..maybe a little less gooey, but still YUM :). Thanks!

VeggieGirl — August 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I was a Girl Scout too! Holla :D

Best thing I did = had a PHENOMENAL weeklong trip with my loved ones.

Carissa — August 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I love s’mores and anything that involve graham, marshmallows and chocolate. Mmmm! One of my favorite cereals growing up was Reeses Puffs. I haven’t had them in years! It might be time…

Kate — August 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm

holy. crap. those look heavenly!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — August 28, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Do I like s’mores? What kind of question is that? ;-) Of course! I haven’t had one since last summer, though. I need to hurry before this summer is over!

Golden grahams was one of my favorite cereals growing up, too. I also loved Lucky Charms, PB Cap’n Crunch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cocoa Krispies, pretty much anything that was filled with sugar. :-) Yep, I grew up on sugary cereal. Like you, it wasn’t strange if I ate it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner some days. I don’t buy the stuff these days, but strangely enough I was tempted by a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch at the grocery store today. It was on sale and just sounded so good. I resisted, though.

Brooke — August 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I LOVE the mixing bowl :)

Brooke

Katie — August 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

DUDE> Golden Grahams, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, PB Cap’n Crunch, Lucky Charms, basically if General mills made it, I ate it. I thought I was all sophisticated and fancy in college when I switched to Honey Bunches of Oats and Frosted Mini Wheats and cinnamon Life. Riiiight.

I ate smores about a year ago. Last Labor Day weekend at my parents cabin. 100% worth every single minute of pain that ensued. And there were a lot of minutes of pain.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 2:06 am

So, did you take these photos before baking them or are they really that creamy after being baked? There aren’t even knife marks! = yes, after baked.

they really are that creamy. you can omit/reduce some of the sweetened cond milk OR add more cereal to make them less creamy but why? creamy is so good :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Oh yeah, great memories of GG’s, they were awesome as a kid. These Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars look awesome, great job and amazing pics!

1. Sure, at an outdoor dessert party years ago.
    2. Probably Reese’s Puffs and I haven’t had them in ages.
    3. Relaxed and got in a long run.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama — August 28, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Holy delicious bars. These look amazing (as do all your recipes). Man oh man, I guess I need to put that marshmallow creme back on my list. he he! I can already picture myself eating these straight out of the freezer. Mmmm….. :) And as usual your pictures are fabulous!

Lorin — August 28, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I used to eat a lot of cinnamon toast crunch. Once, at a friend’s house she had Cookie-crisp and some oreo cereal; I’m all for sugary stuff, but that is one step too far! Haha. Maybe not :P For a once in a lifetime thing, not going to kill me. But, really, I wouldn’t eat cookie crisp now, I rather have something healthyish to start the day and have a cookie or bar for dessert! Although, I do love pancakes but I’m always making Chocolate Covered Katie’s Brownie Batter pancakes, yumm!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes — August 29, 2011 at 12:24 am

Why does all of your food always look so good!? :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 2:07 am

because it IS good..haha! it’s impossible to have all that sugar and creaminess NOT be good :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — August 29, 2011 at 4:35 am

Totally with you… I can’t even remember the last time I had a legitimate campfire smores. LOVE them though! Your recipe sounds perfect! :)

I was a Cap’n Crunch fan growing up. It was the only cereal my whole family agreed on, so we’d take it with us when we’d go on trips or whatever haha!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 29, 2011 at 4:40 am

We were rarely ever allowed to eat sugary cereals! I’d say my favorite “treat” cereal was peanut butter bumpers!

kath — August 29, 2011 at 5:45 am

Found you over on Foodgawker!!

These look delicious – and mucho improvement in photography!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 10:44 am

Thanks, Kath :)

I’ve been seeing you on FG much more often lately, too!

And I’m glad you saw this recipe because I was thinking of you posted those smores of yours over the weekend you ate…I knew I had this recipe almost ready to publish!

Ally — August 29, 2011 at 6:09 am

Yummy! I can’t wait to make these with my 2 year old. I know she’ll have a blast mixing these fun ingredients! The pictures are making my mouth water!

Prana & Pie — August 29, 2011 at 7:35 am

You had me at Golden Grahams. I need these in my face, like, pronto.

Jessica @ Jess Go Bananas — August 29, 2011 at 8:44 am

You take amazing photos! You should rename your blog to “bars and balls” because you make thee best bars and you are a champ at making balls!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 29th, 2011 at 10:44 am

thanks for the compliment and i can ONLY imagine the google searches I’d get if I changed my blog name to that…lol

Lizzie — August 29, 2011 at 9:10 am

#1. I love that bowl you are using to mix the ingredients!
    #2. Those bars look so good that it could be illegal.
    #3. I might be drooling on the keyboard right now!!! :)

Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn — August 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

Wow those look absolutely delicious!
    I hardly ever eat them but I do love marshmallows so I guess I’d like s’mores (I know, I’ve never had them before!). Weetabix was my favourite when I was little then I stopped eating cereal but now it’s practically all I eat for breakfast :-P. I also love Curiously Cinnamon cereal, anything with cinnamon is good in my book!

Amber K — August 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

I haven’t had s’mores in years. I only have them when I go camping and that was I think two years ago. Now I don’t even know what I’d use for graham crackers because I can’t find GF ones that are also free of xanthan gum. A friend made homemade ones last year to turn into a crust, but they had xanthan gum in them. I’d have to do some tinkering!

These look absolutely delicious. I so don’t get people who find treats “too rich” or “too sweet.” They simply do not have the taste buds I do! I don’t think I have ever in my life thought “too sweet” unless it was a sweet potato in a savory dish. I don’t like my sweet and savory combined!

I wasn’t a big cereal fan. When I was growing up it was mostly about the Pop-Tarts and the Toaster Strudels.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — August 29, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I haven’t had golden grahams in years…. but I kind of want to go buy them immediately! These look so good!

Erica — August 29, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Oh my gosh! These look ridiculous awesome! I love golden grahams. Other childhood favorites? Captain Crunch and Cinnamon toast crunch! Haven’t had either in ages. And a big yes to smores! A great combo of flavors.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — August 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I will not rest until I have some of these! I love Golden Grahams!

Jennie @ What's Jen Eating? — August 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Averie, this is just pure evil amazingness!! I LOVE Golden Grahams. I could sit and eat a box of them like it’s nothing. Therefore, I rarely buy them. Those bars look fabulous though. I’m going to have to pick up some GG’s ASAP. :)

Susan — August 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm

1) Love the new blog look. Like seriously, not just saying that to be polite, I reallyreally like it.
    2) Obviouslyyyy I LOVE s’mores!! Sign me up for anything featuring marshmallows.
    3) Congrats on being in the Foodbuzz Top 9! Just opened my e-mail to see your cookies tempting me :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 30th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

thank you for telling me #1…and that you’re not just being polite :) I had a couple ppl tell me they DIDNT like it.. lol Guess they didn’t care about politeness :)

And #3…OMG you are my source of this news b/c I didnt know!! Off to their site..NOW!

Kim@TheCrunchyKind — September 21, 2011 at 4:40 pm

God these look AMAZING. I was going to start BFL in the next week or so… I better make these quick! PS – loving the header! I don’t think I’ve commented before but I’ve been reading for a while : )

Katie — November 9, 2011 at 7:28 am

Just made these- deliciousness. I forgot to spray the foil so that was quite a job though- and I am eating them for my “2nd breakfast” – yum nothing like a skyrocketing dose of sugar to start out the day.
    Katie

Sally — February 22, 2012 at 6:40 pm

oooooooooooooh my goodness. you had me at “deep dish”! white chocolate with smores?! that is like a dream come true. :)