15-Minute Cowboy Beef and Rice Skillet
This post may contain affiliate links.
15-Minute Cowboy Beef and Rice Skillet – An EASY comfort food recipe with just 5 main ingredients made with everyday staples!! Juicy beef, tender rice, and just the right amount of kick from the salsa make this an automatic FAMILY FAVORITE!!
Cowboy Beef and Rice Skillet Recipe
It’s hearty comfort food loaded with juicy ground beef, tender rice, just the right amount of spiciness that keeps you going back for bite after bite.
The word Cowboy is in the recipe title because I used a jar of Cowboy Caviar from Trader Joe’s which is essentially a corn and black bean-based salsa with red peppers. If you don’t have a TJ’s in your area, look for a corn and bean-based salsa and use that instead.
The recipe is easy, ready in 15 minutes, and naturally gluten-free.
Ingredients in Beef and Rice Skillet
There are only 5 main ingredients in the recipe which keeps it super simple. I made this recipe awhile back when we all had very limited grocery options and that’s how this recipe was born. What do I have, what can I do with what I have, ah-hah, this!
- Ground beef (ground pork sausage is a great substitute, I tried it with hot pork sausage and we loved the extra kick)
- Red bell pepper
- Cooked rice (use one packet of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice to save time; the link is to Jasmine but I used Original)
- Cowboy caviar (or look for a thick and chunky corn and bean-based salsa)
Simply sauté the onion with the beef and red pepper until the beef is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Add the cooked rice, cowboy caviar, stir to combine, and get ready to dig in. So fast and easy!
This recipe is ripe for substitutions and is super flexible. Here are some ideas:
- I used a sweet Vidalia onion but white or yellow are fine
- Use ground pork sausage, ground chicken, or ground turkey in place of the ground beef
- Use another color of bell pepper
- Use whatever kind of rice you prefer such as brown, wild rice, or even cauliflower rice
- Use your favorite kind of salsa. A salsa verde would be great if you pair it with ground chicken or turkey. Or try a pineapple salsa or other fruity salsa with ground pork.
- Bulk up the veggie quotient by adding extra corn, beans, frozen peans, shelled edamame, zucchini, mushrooms, or whatever you have on hand and enjoy
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or as desired
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 pound ground beef (I used 90% lean)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 cups cooked rice (use one 8.8-ounce packet Uncle Ben's Ready Rice to save time)
- one 13-ounce jar cowboy caviar salsa (or a corn and bean-based salsa)
- salt and pepper, optional and to taste
- fresh parsley, optional for garnishing (cilantro or green onions may be substituted)
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, onion, and saute over medium-high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes; stir intermittently.
- Add the beef, red bell pepper, and saute for about 5 minutes, or until beef is cooked through; stir and crumble beef as it cooks to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir constantly.
- Add the cooked rice, cowboy caviar*, and stir to combine. Turn off the heat, taste the dish, and if desired, add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Optionally garnish with parsley and serve immediately. Recipe will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
If you can't find Cowboy Caviar because you don't have a Trader Joe's in your area or don't order it online, and are using another salsa, make sure it's a thick and chunky salsa. You don't want a thinner/runnier salsa like you'd use for dipping chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 524Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 428mgSodium: 1088mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g
15-Minute Mexican Rice and Beans Skillet with Sausage — A FAST and EASY recipe that’s loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors and ingredients!! Break out of your chicken rut with this FLAVORFUL dish that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
Italian Sausage and Peppers Skillet — This easy one-skillet recipe combines Italian sausage and peppers with sweet Vidalia onions and rice to make a quick dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes!
Beef Taco Pasta Skillet – An EASY recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors!! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!!
One-Skillet Tex Mex Beef Mac & Cheese – An EASY recipe that’s made in ONE skillet so you don’t have to cook the pasta separately!! Loaded with ground beef, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, and cilantro! A family FAVORITE that feeds a crowd!!
One Skillet Beef Taco Pasta – An EASY recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors!! A family favorite that’s great for busy weeknights!!
Easy 30-Minute Southwestern Beef Skillet – EASY, family friendly, ready in 30 minutes, and COMFORT FOOD at its best!! Ground beef, PASTA, black beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and CHEESE for a Southwestern flair!!
Chicken and Rice Skillet with Veggies — EASY, ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet with everyday ingredients you probably have on hand!! A HEALTHY weeknight dinner the whole family will LOVE!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.