Spinach Blueberry Superfoods Salad
Recently I was at Whole Foods and saw a new salad in their deli case. The minute I tasted a sample I knew I wanted to recreate it at home. Recreating Whole Foods and Starbucks recipes is something I do when I need a challenge.
Their salad was a great jumping off point but mine tastes better and is more flavorful. Not that I’m partial.
It reminds me of this Twelve Superfoods Salad which is a reader favorite. There are so many wonderful textures and flavors in every bite of this hearty salad filled with superfoods. Spinach, blueberries, dried cranberries, almonds, and more.
It’s easy, satisfying, healthy, and most importantly – it tastes amazing.
The salad is incredibly flexible based on what you have on hand and enjoy. I used wheatberries but you can try quinoa, wild rice, couscous, barley, or mix and match the grains. I used dried cranberries and raisins but you can swap them for dried cherries or omit. I didn’t have basil on hand but had cilantro so in it went. Add green onions or red onions if you like. Skip the cheese and use agave rather than honey in the dressing if you want to keep it vegan rather than vegetarian.
For the dressing I used the same dressing I used in Apple, White Cheddar, and Grilled Chicken Salad which originally came from Apple, White Cheddar, and Spinach Salad with Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette. It’s light, tangy-yet-sweet from the apple cider vinegar, honey, and Dijon mustard gives it a little bite. The best part is you just shake it together in a jar and any extra will keep for a week in the fridge.
Spinach Blueberry Superfoods Salad
This Whole Foods Copycat salad is incredibly flexible based on what you have on hand and enjoy. There are so many wonderful textures and flavors in every bite of this hearty salad filled with superfoods. Spinach, blueberries, dried cranberries, almonds, and more. Easy, satisfying, healthy, and most importantly - it tastes amazing. The dressing is light, tangy-yet-sweet from the apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard gives it a little bite and simply shake it together.
Yield: about 4 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: about 20 minutes for the grains
Total Time: about 25 minutes
- about 2 cups cooked grains (I used wheatberries; try quinoa, wild rice, couscous, barley, etc. and mix and match if desired)
- about 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 to 1 cup grated white cheese (I used goat gouda; aged white cheddar, crumbled feta, blue cheese, etc. may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cherries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or cilantro, finely minced
Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Salad - To a large bowl add all ingredients in the order listed; set aside.
- Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette - To a small glass jar or container with a lid, add all ingredients, put the lid on and shake vigorously until combined; taste vinaigrette and tweak as necessary to taste. Drizzle about half the dressing over salad, toss to combine, and see if you prefer it moister and add more, to taste. If you don't use all the vinaigrette, extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week. Serve salad immediately or place into an airtight container, refrigerate, and serve chilled. The spinach wilts as time passes but the dried fruit softens and the flavors marry and I enjoy this salad for up to 3 days after preparing.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Twelve Superfoods Salad – Trying to eat healthier? Make this easy, flavorful salad! Loaded with everything healthy and it tastes awesome! Kale, quinoa, edamame, blueberries, grapes, seeds, nuts, and more!
Apple, White Cheddar, and Grilled Chicken Salad – All the flavors just pop in this fast, easy, and healthy salad! The Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette doubles as marinade + salad dressing to save time!
Apple, White Cheddar, and Spinach Salad with Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – The flavors just pop in this fast, easy, and healthy salad!
Lemon, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Almond Quinoa Salad – Fast, easy, and fresh! Bright flavors and loads of texture! This clean-eating salad keeps you full and satisfied! Healthy never tasted so good!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad – (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier & lighter? Make this easy, refreshing & satisfying salad!
Loaded Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing – Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! All your favorite taco flavors in one big kickin’ salad that everyone will love!
Cranberry, Apple, and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry-Apple Cider Dressing – All the flavors of fall in one gorgeous, hearty, and healthy salad!! The easy, tart-and-sweet dressing is just bursting with flavor!
Strawberry, Avocado, and Kale Salad with Strawberry-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – Make a kale lover out of anyone in this healthy salad with creamy avocado and juicy berries!
Honey Lemon-Glazed Salmon Salad – Coated with a tangy-sweet glaze that doubles as a light and bright salad vinaigrette! Fast, easy, fresh and healthy! An awesome 15-minute meal!
Kale Caesar Salad with Fried Chickpeas – A fresh spin on Caesar salad with an easy, whisk-together dressing loaded with bold flavor! You won’t miss croutons when you’ve got crispy, crunchy fried chickpeas that are insanely good!
BLT Chopped Salad with Homemade Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing – Fast, fresh, healthy, and satisfying!
Roasted Winter Squash, Cranberry, and Almond Salad with Lemon Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette (vegan, GF) – A hearty and satisfying salad to help you stay healthy and on track!