Apple Cider Chicken with Caramelized Apples
This post may contain affiliate links.
Apple Cider Chicken with Caramelized Apples — The flavors of FALL in an EASY dish ready in 30 MINUTES!! Chicken simmered in apple cider and Dijon is so rich-tasting along with juicy, caramely apples!!
Fall Chicken and Apples Recipe
I went apple picking and came home with tons of apples and apple cider and came up with this easy recipe to put them to use!
Just kidding. I don’t have time to go apple picking but I wish I did.
Regardless, this is an easy dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes, takes advantage of apples, apple cider, and the flavors of fall. The whole family will love it.
What’s in the Apple Cider Chicken?
To make this apple chicken recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Sweet Vidalia onion
- Chicken breasts
- Apple cider (non-alcoholic)
- Dijon mustard
- Red apples
- Brown sugar
- Lemon juice
- Fresh sage
How to Make Apple Cider Chicken
This apple cider chicken recipe begins by caramelizing onions, searing chicken breasts, adding garlic, and allowing the chicken to finish cooking by simmering in an apple cider and Dijon mustard mixture.
The little bit of Dijon adds a wonderful richness and depth of flavor to the sauce. It was outstanding. I wanted to drink it.
While the chicken simmers, apples are caramelized with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice for brightness. A tiny bit of lemon juice adds big time zing and flavor and really complements the caramely sauce that’s formed.
Can I Make This Recipe With Apple Juice?
I haven’t tried the recipe with apple juice and while I’m sure it would be fine, apple cider has more flavor which is why I used it.
What Kind of Apples Should I Use?
I used Gala apples, but you can try Fuji, Honeycrisp, or your favorite red apples. Your house will smell like you’re baking an apple pie and it’s absolutely divine.
Tips for Making Chicken and Apples
This recipe calls for apple cider, which in the US is a non-alcoholic, still beverage. In other parts of the world, it might be called mulled cider.
You can use plain apple cider or spiced apple cider for this recipe, both will work.
Whatever you do, do NOT buy hard (alcoholic) apple cider to make this recipe. It contains carbonation and alcohol, both of which will affect the taste and texture of the apple cider chicken.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, sliced into thin strips
- about 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1-inch wide strips or use chicken breast tenders
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed
- 3/4 cup apple cider*
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium red apples, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch wedges (I did not peel and used Gala. Fuji, Honeycrisp, or similar red apples may be used)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves (stems discarded), finely chopped
- To a large skillet, add the oil, onions, and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until onions begin to soften and caramelize; stir frequently.
- Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, flipping and stirring intermittently so all sides cook evenly. Chicken should be about 80 percent cooked through.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir frequently.
- To a medium bowl or large measuring cup, add the apple cider, Dijon, whisk to combine, and add to the skillet.
- Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. While the chicken simmers, make the apples.
- To a separate large skillet, add the butter and heat over medium-high heat to melt.
- Add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, stir to combine, and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until apples are just tender. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Taste the chicken and cider-Dijon mixture, add additional salt or pepper to taste, if desired.
- Evenly sprinkle with sage and serve immediately.
*Apple cider: In the US, apple cider is a still, non-alcoholic beverage. In other parts of the world, it may be called mulled cider. Do NOT use alcoholic hard cider in this recipe.
Storage: Dish is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store chicken and apples in separate containers. Reheat gently as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 508Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 608mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 47g
More Fall Chicken Recipes:
Favorite EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
Awesome APPLE RECIPES
Lemon Dijon Chicken Skillet — Tender, juicy chicken with a scrumptious sauce made with lemon butter, Dijon mustard, and a splash of wine for extra flavor!!
Creamy Parmesan Chicken – Tender, juicy chicken bathed in a divine cream sauce made with garlic, cream, Dijon mustard, and a splash of wine for extra flavor!!
Chili and Brown Sugar Spice Rub Chicken and Sweet Potatoes – An EASY sheet pan meal that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with layers of flavors from the spice rub – a mixture of chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, and more!!
One-Pan Lemon Butter Chicken and Potatoes — A DELICIOUS family dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes and full of lemon buttery goodness!! ONE PAN keeps things EASY for you with less dishes!!
Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes — EASY, HEALTHY, and a great way to enjoy roasted sweet potatoes in less time!! A DELISH one-pan juicy chicken dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes with zero cleanup!!
Jeweled Honey Balsamic Chicken and Brussels Sprouts – EASY, one-skillet, healthy, ready in 15 minutes, and loaded with FALL FLAVORS!! Juicy chicken, crisp-tender sprouts, tangy balsamic, sweet honey, and seasoned to perfection!!
Apple, White Cheddar, & Grilled Chicken Salad — All the flavors just POP in this fast, easy, and healthy salad!! The Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette doubles as marinade + salad dressing to save time!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.