Sheet Pan Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links.
Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes — EASY, HEALTHY, and a great way to enjoy roasted sweet potatoes in less time!! A DELISH one-pan juicy chicken dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes with zero cleanup!!
Easy Chicken and Sweet Potato Dinner
I love sheet pan dinners because they’re easy, tasty, and ready in no time. This easy sheet pan recipe takes advantage of one of my favorite fall ingredients: sweet potatoes. But truthfully, I eat sweet potatoes year round. I love them prepared in any way.
The only downside to sweet potatoes is that if you leave them whole, it can take about an hour to roast them. But I don’t always have an hour on busy weeknights, which is why I like to dice them into bite-sized pieces and then roast them.
This little dicing trick cuts the cooking time by 50% which is a huge time saver.
When I added the chicken, I also added red onions and those big wedges nicely perfume and flavor the chicken and potatoes. Plus, I love the purple color against the orange sweet potatoes. You eat first with your eyes and I always try to make things as colorful and vibrant as possible.
What’s in Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes?
To make this chicken and sweet potato recipe, you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken breasts
- Red onion
How to Make This Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
I roasted the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes before adding the chicken. This gives those extra-firm sweet potatoes a head start to soften up before adding the more delicate and quicker-cooking chicken.
Because you’re roasting in a very hot 425F oven, the chicken cooks in just 15 minutes. If you were to add the chicken from the very beginning with the potatoes, it would be extremely overcooked, dry, and tough so adding it midway through cooking is perfect.
Can I Add Other Seasonings?
Of course! The chicken, sweet potato, and red onion is a great base for any number of seasonings. Mix and match your favorite herbs and spices, or use your favorite spice blend.
Tips for Making Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
Feel free to add other veggies like carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, green beans, bell peppers, sugar snap peas, or whatever you have on hand and enjoy. Just note that different veggies have different cook times, so your cook time may be affected.
My family ate this chicken sheet pan dinner as is, but you’re welcome to serve it alongside rice, buttered noodles, a side salad, etc.
This sheet pan chicken and sweet potatoes is best warm and fresh but extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- 2 medium/large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1.25 to 1.50 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium/large red onion, peeled and cut into chunks or wedges
- 1 teaspoon coriander, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
- Add the sweet potatoes, evenly drizzle with 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, evenly season with salt and pepper, toss with your hands to coat evenly, and bake for 15 minutes. While the potatoes bake, prep the chicken and onion.
- After 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven, flip the sweet potatoes, and add the chicken and red onion.
- Evenly drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle with coriander, and bake for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken, size of potatoes, and being that this is quite a hot oven, check early and often so you don’t overcook the chicken or burn the potatoes.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe is best warm and fresh but extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 54g
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes:
15 Chicken Dinners Ready in 15 Minutes – EASY dinners that are ready in a flash and PERFECT for busy weeknights! DELISH, healthy, and guaranteed to please your toughest dinner critics!
15 Skinny Chicken Dinners Ready in 15 Minutes – FAST, easy, gluten-free recipes on the SKINNIER side!! You won’t miss the fat and calories because there’s so much FLAVOR! Perfect for busy weeknights and there’s more than than just salads!!
Sheet Pan Ginger Orange Chicken and Vegetables – Fast, EASY, HEALTHY, and loaded with great orange ginger flavor!! A DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
15-Minute Sheet Pan Lemon Pepper Chicken – Fast, EASY, HEALTHY, and loaded with great lemon pepper flavor!! A DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup that’s perfect for busy weeknights!!
15-Minute Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple – Fast, EASY, and loaded with fabulous teriyaki flavor!! Tender chicken, juicy pineapple, and crisp-tender veggies make make for a DELISH one-pan meal with zero cleanup!!
Sheet Pan Skinny Lemon Pepper Chicken and Vegetables – An EASY sheet pan chicken dinner that’s ready in 25 minutes!! Bonus that it’s SKINNY and has so much FLAVOR from the lemon pepper!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.