Baked Caramel Apple Fritters
This post may contain affiliate links.
Baked Caramel Apple Fritters – Love the taste of apple fritters but don’t want the calories or hassle that comes with frying them? Then these FAST and EASY baked apple fritters made with just four main ingredients are PERFECT!!
Baked Caramel Apple Fritters Recipe
I have fond childhood memories of going to the local bakery and devouring fresh, warm, and admittedly greasy, apple fritters.
It was the type of bakery that you could smell from blocks away as the scent of fresh dough and grease wafted freely through the air. When you’re a kid you don’t concern yourself much with that though!
However, at this point in life, when I can bake something rather than fry it, I do so and these baked apple fritters couldn’t be easier.
They’re made with just four main ingredients, including a major convenience item; namely, refrigerated biscuit dough.
These baked apple fritters are so fast to make and are ready in just 15 minutes!
Ingredients In Baked Apple Fritters
For this fast and easy apple fritter recipe, you’ll need these four ingredients:
- Refrigerated biscuit dough
- Canned apple pie filling
- Cinnamon or apple pie spice, optional
- Caramels + cream or caramel sauce
How To Make Apple Fritters At Home
When I say this is a foolproof recipe, I mean it. Simply begin by separating the biscuit dough discs and then cut each into about 10 pieces.
Fish out the large apple chunks from the apple pie filling, put them on a cutting board, and dice them into smaller bite-sized pieces.
Mix together the diced biscuits and apple pie pilling, optionally add cinnamon or apple pie spice, and this is now your apple fritter batter.
Spoon one-quarter cupfuls of the batter onto a prepared baking sheet, drizzle melted butter over each mound, and bake.
When the fritters are done baking, you have the option of melting together unwrapped square caramel candies with cream, or use a thick caramel sauce.
Can I Use Something Other Than Refrigerated Biscuit Dough?
In the United States, we have tons of options when it comes to a variety of refrigerated doughs, from pre-made pizza dough to cookie dough to biscuit dough.
For this recipe, I have only tested it with refrigerated biscuit dough. There are many varieties of biscuit dough options that exist including flaky, Southern homestyle, and so forth. Most any variety will be fine.
Possibly this recipe would work with refrigerated crescent roll dough, but I haven’t tested it so cannot say for sure.
If you don’t have refrigerated dough in your area, I am sure you could experiment and make a homemade dough, but that becomes a much more elaborate baking project. And in the final analysis, you may just want to skip the recipe and select another one since this one is all about fast, easy, and conveniences. I have an amazing scratch Apple Fritter Bread that is just so good that I recommend instead!
What Kind Of Caramels To Use?
There are a few ways to to with the caramel sauce used for drizzling. You can either melt together unwrapped square caramel candies with cream.
Secondly, you can use a thick caramel sauce. I am partial to Trader Joe’s Salted Caramel Sauce. I recommend a thick caramel sauce rather than caramel sauce for ice cream sundaes which is thinner and runnier.
Finally, you can make my The Best and Easiest Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce. It’s not too fussy or complicated, lasts for a long time, and makes great gifts, too! Keep that in mind with the holidays coming up.
- one 8-count tube refrigerated biscuit dough
- 21-ounce jar apple pie filling
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or apple pie spice, optional and to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 24 unwrapped square caramel candies
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream (or caramel sauce may be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner for easier cleanup; set aside.
- Open the dough, separate dough discs, dice each disc into about 10 pieces, and place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Open the apple pie filling, fish out the large apple chunks with a fork or your fingers, place them on a cutting board, dice the large apples into smaller bite-sized pieces, and add them to the bowl with the diced dough.
- Add the remaining apple pie filling sauce, optionally add cinnamon or apple pie spice, and stir to combine.
- Spoon heaping 1/4 cup-fulls of the batter onto the prepared baking sheet, evenly distribute and spoon a bit of the melted butter over each mound of batter, and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden browned and the dough is set and cooked through; set aside to cool. I made 12 but depending on if you want them larger, you can reduce the yield to 8 or 10 rather than 12.
- To a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the caramels, cream, and heat in 30-second bursts until the caramels have melted and can be stirred smooth. Evenly drizzle the caramel sauce over the apple fritters. Alternatively, store bought or homemade caramel sauce or salted caramel sauce* may be used instead. Apple fritters are best warm and fresh.
*I like to use my The Best and Easiest Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce or try Trader Joe's Salted Caramel Sauce. Use a thick sauce rather than a thinner ice cream sundae type of sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 370mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 1gSugar: 59gProtein: 2g
More Apple Dessert Recipes:
Apple Fritter Bread — Soft, fluffy bread that’s stuffed AND topped with apples, cinnamon, and sugar!! Like apple fritters in bread form!! Best apple bread EVER!
Carrot Apple Cream Cheese Cake – If you like carrot cake, you’re going to LOVE this version that includes apples and a tunnel of cream cheese that runs through the center!! EASY, amazing, and a MUST-MAKE!!
Apple Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting — An EASY, one-bowl, no-mixer apple cake that’s to-die-for!! Loaded with juicy apples in every bite, perfectly spiced, and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting! So DELISH!!
Carrot Apple Bread — Carrot cake with apples added and baked as a bread so it’s healthier! Super moist, packed with flavor, fast and easy!
Caramel Apple Crumble Foil Packs – EASY, zero cleanup, made on the grill (or oven) in record time, and tastes amazing!! Juicy apples, chewy crumble topping, and luscious salted caramel…SO irresistible!!
Cinnamon Spice Applesauce Bread with Honey Butter — Applesauce keeps this bread so soft & moist! It’s like apple spice cake, disguised as ‘bread’ so you can have extra!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Crumble Bars – Move over, apple pie! These are an apple pie, apple crumble and cheesecake all in one!
Spiced Apple and Banana Bundt Cake with Vanilla Caramel Glaze – Apples and bananas, baked together in a fast and easy cake and the glaze is a true personal favorite!
Caramel Apple Crumble Pie – Apple Pie meets Apple Crumble meets plenty of gooey caramel. Easy, fast, 5-minutes to assemble. Goofproof recipe for those of us who aren’t pie-makers!
5-Minute Microwave Apple Cinnamon Crumble For One (vegan, GF) – Warm, hearty, healthy & fast! Makes a great breakfast or snack!
Apple Zucchini Bread with Brown Sugar Frosting – Super soft, moist, and topped with the BEST frosting ever!! One bowl, no mixer, EASY recipe for the best apple zucchini bread that everyone LOVES!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.