Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Egg Skillet – A healthy-ish brunch, lunch, or breakfast-for-dinner recipe that combines juicy chicken, crisp-tender broccoli, eggs, and melted cheese!! EASY and ready in 30 minutes!!
This skillet is perfect for a casual weekend brunch, as a healthy lunch, or as a breakfast-for-dinner option.
After all, there’s chicken and broccoli in it so that may actually make it more of a dinner than a brunch option to begin with, but food lines blur now, don’t they.
How To Make The Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Egg Skillet
The recipe is so easy and ready in 30 minutes.
Simply sauté an onion in an oven-proof skillet before adding chicken, garlic, and then quickly steaming the broccoli until it’s crisp-tender. My preference with broccoli is always more crisp than tender (aka mushy) so I tend to be very brief when cooking or steaming broccoli, but always cook things to your personal preference.
Then pour in a mixture of milk, two eggs, and Bisquick or a similar type of pancake mix. If you don’t have Bisquick in your area, Google how to make it. It’s pancake mix that’s readily available in the United States but I know there are ways to make your own.
I will admit that it felt a bit weird pouring milk, eggs, and Bisquick over chicken and broccoli, but I went with it, even though I had a voice in my heading screaming no don’t do it! But it was one of those cooking gambles that totally worked. Don’t fear it.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake it until the milk-egg mixture sets up before topping with cheese and baking a bit longer until the cheese melts.
How Does the Skillet Taste
The first thing I noticed is that my onions had lightly caramelized between their stint on the stovetop and then in the oven, and the natural sweetness was awesome in the skillet. That played perfectly with the natural sweetness that the broccoli also developed after baking briefly.
The chicken was juicy and tender and everything covered in plenty of melted cheese is always a win.
The milk, egg, and Bisquick mixture ties everything together and is very light. It’s fluffy, airy, and not at all heavy. If you’re looking for a very egg-centric, dense, egg-forward type of casserole, this is not it. There are only two eggs in the whole skillet, which is not enough to weigh it down or make it super eggy tasting.
Lighten It Up
If you’re looking to make this already fairly healthy recipe even healthier, use a non-dairy type milk such as almond or soy. Many of them have only 30 calories per cup.
And either skip the cheese, cut back on it, or use a lighter version of cheese.
But I will be honest, this is chicken and broccoli, it’s already healthy. Cheese makes things taste better and it makes already healthy-ish recipes more appealing for people who may not be inclined to eat things that are on the healthy side. So I say roll with the cheese. I always do.
Favorite Egg Recipes:
- 100-Calorie Cheese, Vegetable and Egg Muffins (GF) – Healthy, easy, and only 100 calories! You’ll want to keep a stash on hand!
- Cheesy Hash Brown Quiche – This EASY quiche uses crispy hash browns as the crust and is topped with cheesy eggs!! The ultimate comfort food brunch or breakfast-for-dinner recipe that everyone LOVES!
- Kale and Tomato Frittata – Extremely easy, ready in 10 minutes, and healthy! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or easy weeknight dinners because you can whip it up in minutes!
- Bacon Cheddar Egg Casserole – Crisp bacon, melted cheese, and green onions add so much flavor! Hearty but stays perfectly light thanks to a secret ingredient! Easy and perfect for breakfast, lazy brunches, or breakfast-for-dinner!
- Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata – Creamy eggs with crispy hash browns and made in one skillet!
- Baked Ham and Cheese Omelet – No more babysitting omelets at the stove! Pop this into the oven and go sit down and relax! Easy, delish, and perfect for leisurely weekends, holiday brunches, or breakfast-for-dinner!
Pin This Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if necessary
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, diced small
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Bisquick] or similar pancake mix (or Google how to make your own [Bisquick
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese blend (I used a Mexican blend)
- 1 tablespoon green onions, thinly sliced for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To a large oven-proof skillet, add the oil, onions, and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until the onions are beginning to soften; stir frequently.
- Add the chicken and cook until done; stir and flip frequently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir nearly constantly.
- Add the broccoli, evenly season with salt, pepper, stir to combine, if you need a bit more oil because things look dry add a bit more, cover the skillet with a lid, turn the heat to low, and allow the broccoli to steam for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- While broccoli is steaming, to a medium bowl, add the milk, eggs, Bisquick, and whisk vigorously until smooth and free from lumps. Pour the milk-egg mixture over the chicken and broccoli in the skillet.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the milk-egg mixture is set; exact baking time will depend on the exact type of skillet used, oven, climate, etc. Don't overbake.
- Remove skillet from the oven, evenly sprinkle with the cheese, and return skillet to the oven for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Evenly garnish with green onions and serve immediately. Recipe is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 518Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 996mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 40g
Cheesy Hash Brown Quiche – This EASY quiche uses crispy hash browns as the crust and is topped with cheesy eggs!! The ultimate comfort food brunch or breakfast-for-dinner recipe that everyone LOVES!!
Kale and Tomato Frittata – Extremely easy, ready in 10 minutes, and healthy! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or easy weeknight dinners because you can whip it up in minutes!
Easy Spinach and Tomato Frittata – Ready in 10 minutes and healthy! Perfect for any meal!! Great for using up odds-and-ends veggies, too!
Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata – Creamy eggs with crispy hash browns and made in one skillet!
Bacon Cheddar Egg Casserole – Crisp bacon, melted cheese, and green onions add so much flavor! Hearty but stays perfectly light thanks to a secret ingredient! Easy and perfect for breakfast, lazy brunches, or breakfast-for-dinner!
Baked Ham and Cheese Omelet – No more babysitting omelets at the stove! Pop this into the oven and go sit down and relax! Easy, delish, and perfect for leisurely weekends, holiday brunches, or breakfast-for-dinner!
100-Calorie Cheese, Vegetable and Egg Muffins (GF) – Healthy, easy, and only 100 calories! You’ll want to keep a stash on hand!
100-Calorie Cheesy Sausage and Egg Muffins – Low carb baked egg muffins that are loaded with juicy sausage and cheese! EASY, ready in 30 minutes, and perfect for breakfast, brunches, snacks, or breakfast-for-dinner! You’ll want to keep a stash on hand!!
White Cheddar and Dijon Baked Eggs – Fast and easy comfort food that’s ready in 15 minutes! The Dijon and cheese jazz these eggs right up!
Egg-In-A-Hole Avocado Toast – Slathering warm egg-in-a-hole toast with a creamy chive and lime-scented avocado spread is beyond delicious! It’s an easy recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes and is perfect anytime!
Asparagus, Peas, and Smoked Gouda Frittata – Even the pickiest eaters will eat green vegetables in this healthy and easy 25 minute recipe!
Easy Eggs, Sausage, and Hash Browns Skillet – Hearty comfort food that’s worth getting out of bed for! Great for brunch or as breakfast-for-dinner! Ready in 30 minutes and packed with big flavors!
Eggs In Hell with Italian Sausage – Sometimes called Eggs in Purgatory or shakshuka, this easy dish includes eggs poached in tomatoes with sausage and garlic for tons of flavor! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or breakfast-for-dinner!