I could eat this salad every day and not tire of it. There’s so much to love in every bite.
The feta is creamy, rich, adds big flavor, and aside from a tiny amount of olive oil, it’s the only real fat source in the salad. Except I used fat-free feta. I’ll save my fat grams for these.
The corn, red pepper, green onions, and cilantro that I purchased at Albertson’s add layers of flavors, textures, and the salad is a way to put a unique twist on everyday favorite ingredients. Check out Albertson’s Pinterest board for easy recipe inspiration.
There’s also a cup of wheat berries. I love them so much because they’re very chewy, hearty, and give the salad so much oomph. If you’ve never tried them, they’re what I think would happen if steel cut oats and brown rice married, but you could sub with quinoa or quick-cooking brown rice to save time.
There’s lots of wiggle room in the salad to put your own spin on it so if you’re short or over, by a half-cup or so on any of the ingredients, it’ll still work out fine. Have tomatoes, avocado, or carrots to use? Toss them in.
Everything is tossed with a small amount of lemon and lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne. The cayenne doesn’t make it spicy but rather makes it not bland.
The salad is great right out of the mixing bowl but it tastes better the second day after the flavors marry.
Pin This Recipe
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shelled and cooked edamame (I boil for about 5 minutes in the micro)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn (I use frozen and set it on top of the hot edamame in the bowl and it thaws in minutes)
- 1 cup cooked wheat berries
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and diced small (yellow or orange peppers may be substituted)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves with stems discarded, or to taste
- heaping 1/2 cup crumbled feta, or more to taste (I used fat-free)
- 2 green onions, trimmed and sliced very thin (I use entire onion from white to green)
- 1 small/medium Roma or vine-ripened tomato diced small, optional
- 1 small/medium Hass avocado peeled, pitted, and diced, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- generous pinch cayenne pepper (doesn’t make it spicy, makes it not bland)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients in the order listed, and toss very well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Salad may be served immediately although the flavors marry, develop, and salad tastes even better the second day. Salad will keep airtight in fridge for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 894mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 10gSugar: 9gProtein: 15g
Sweet and Sour Zucchini Corn Salad – Packed with big, bold flavors and tons of crunch! Healthy, light and not just another salad!
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Quinoa Salad – (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier & lighter? Make this easy, refreshing & satisfying salad!
Skinny Mayo-Less Cabbage Salad – (vegan, GF) – This healthy cabbage salad/coleslaw isn’t coated with gobs of mayo & you won’t miss it!
Apple, White Cheddar, and Spinach Salad with Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – The flavors just pop in this fast, easy, and healthy salad!
BLT Chopped Salad with Homemade Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing – Fast, fresh, healthy & satisfying!
Roasted Winter Squash, Cranberry, and Almond Salad with Lemon Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette (vegan, GF) – A hearty & satisfying salad to help you stay healthy & on track!
Orange Ginger Tempeh and Brown Rice Salad with Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette – A healthy & hearty salad that’ll keep you full & satisfied for hours. It’s healthy-in-a-hurry & ready in under 15 minutes!
Strawberry, Avocado, and Kale Salad with Strawberry-Apple Cider Vinaigrette – Make a kale lover out of anyone in this healthy salad with creamy avocado and juicy berries!
Avocado, Black Bean, and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Green Powerhouse Salad with Sesame-Ginger Vinaigrette (vegan, GF) – Want to feel better, stronger, healthier? This salad does wonders!
Post is brought to you by Albertson’s. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. #PinThatTwist
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s, Star Market. The opinions and text are all mine.