Grilled Chicken and Watermelon Mango Mint Salsa — The chicken is tender, juicy, and the EASY salsa made with watermelon, mango, and mint adds so much fresh FLAVOR!! Healthy, FAST, EASY, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!!
Easy Mango Watermelon Chicken
Chicken on the grill is a favorite of ours because it’s tender, so juicy, and full of flavor from the grill. Topped with this fresh mango watermelon salsa, it’s easy to get excited about this chicken dinner. Plus it’s so pretty. It’s not often I get to eat something so, well, pretty.
It’s easy, healthy, there’s zero cleanup, it’s ready in 15 minutes, and you don’t have to heat your house up. I’m sure you have everything on hand in your pantry to get started on the chicken marinade.
The watermelon salsa that tops the chicken is music to my watermelon and mango-loving self’s ears. I have a Strawberry Mint and a Peach Mango Salsa recipe that are other favorites. Seasonal juicy watermelon, mango, mint, lime juice, honey, and optional jalapeño peppers are the key ingredients.
It’s such a perfect flavor enhancer to chicken on the grill. It’s like it was made to be eaten with grilled chicken. It’s summer in your mouth.
But it’s also excellent on tortilla chips and I suggest going to town with a bag of chips and any extra salsa you have. And wash everything down with a margarita.
What’s in Grilled Chicken with Watermelon Salsa?
To make the watermelon mango salsa chicken, you’ll need:
- BBQ sauce
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sriracha (optional)
- Chicken breast tenders
- Fresh mint
- Lime juice
- Jalapeño pepper
How to Make Grilled Chicken with Watermelon Salsa
Simply add your favorite barbecue sauce (I use this one) to a large ziptop bag and then add honey, olive oil for moisture, apple cider vinegar for tenderizing, garlic for pizzazz, and the chicken. I also like to add sriracha because I love a touch of spiciness but if you’re not into that, feel free to omit it.
I like to marinate my chicken overnight for the full flavor effect, but if you’re running short on time, even 30 to 60 minutes will do. Once the chicken’s had time to marinate, simply grill until done and top with the mango watermelon salsa!
Can I Prep the Mango Watermelon Salsa in Advance?
Because the salt causes the watermelon and mango to release their natural juices, I don’t recommend making this salsa too far in advance, maybe 4 hours in advance max. Extra will keep just fine in the fridge for days, noting that it will become more watery as time passes.
Tips for Making Grilled Chicken and Watermelon Salsa
As a shortcut, I used chicken breast tenders — sometimes called breast cutlets or medallions. Their smaller size makes for faster grilling times and much more even cooking. Many times with large chicken breasts on the grill, I struggle to keep the outside from becoming overly dark before the interior is fully cooked through.
I always use my outdoor grill to make this watermelon mango salsa chicken , but you can also try using an indoor grill pan.
For the watermelon salsa, I love the kick the jalapeños add and don’t feel like salsa is actually salsa without some kick, but if you’re not into them, feel free to omit.
Pin This Recipe
Grilled Chicken With Watermelon Mango Mint Salsa
The chicken is tender, juicy, and the EASY salsa made with watermelon, mango, and mint adds so much fresh FLAVOR!! Healthy, FAST, EASY, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!!
- 1/2 cup your favorite barbecue sauce (I use this one
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 3 tablespoons sriracha, optional and to taste for a spicier result
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- about 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts tenders
- 2 cups watermelon, diced small
- 1 cup mango, diced small (fresh is best but frozen can be substituted)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh mint, finely minced or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers finely minced with seeds removed, optional and to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste if desired
For the Chicken:
- To a large ziptop plastic bag, add all ingredients, seal bag, and squish the contents around so chicken is evenly coated.
- Place bag in the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour (overnight is great if you can plan ahead).
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat (or indoor grill pan) and grill the chicken for about 7 minutes, or until done; flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Garnish with the salsa and serve immediately.
For the Salsa:
- To a large bowl, add all ingredients, stir to combine, taste and add additional salt, lime juice, mint, etc. if desired. Cover and chill until ready to serve. *
Chicken adapted from Honey Barbecue Grilled Chicken
- *Note that the salt will cause the watermelon and mango to release their juices so I don't recommend making this salsa too far in advance, maybe 4 hours in advance max.
- Chicken is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Extra salsa will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days, noting it will continue to become more watery and juicy as time passes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 628Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 1125mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 3gSugar: 63gProtein: 48g
More Easy Chicken Recipes:
15 Chicken Dinners Ready in 15 Minutes – Easy dinners that are ready in a flash and perfect for busy weeknights! Delish, healthy, and guaranteed to please your toughest dinner critics!
Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken – Tender, juicy, and full of flavor from the sweet chili sauce! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!
Spicy Garlic Grilled Chicken – An EASY homemade marinade made with everyday ingredients that produces super FLAVORFUL, juicy chicken!! If you’re looking for a NEW marinade to jazz up grilled chicken, this is the one!!
Peach Chili Grilled Chicken – Tender, juicy, and full of flavor from the sweet peach preserves and chili garlic sauce! The perfect contrast! Easy, healthy, ready in 10 minutes, zero cleanup, perfect for backyard barbecues or easy weeknight dinners!
Foil Pack Barbecue Chicken – Ready in 15 minutes and such an easy way to enjoy barbecue chicken on the grill! A delish and healthy meal made in a foil pack with zero cleanup!
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs – Juicy chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a sweet-and-tangy sauce! Great for parties or easy weeknight dinners! Everything tastes better grilled!
Continue sending me your recipes. Love, Llove them.Dorothy
Great, will do! Thanks!
This sounds so refreshing and delicious with the different summertime flavors! I am planning on making it this week. Any easy low/no prep side dish recommendations to go with?
Really any basic salad would be my choice – chicken and a salad is the way to go for me!
https://www.averiecooks.com/category/entrees/vegetables/ Tons of salad ideas or just toss some veggies on the grill with the chicken to keep it easy and fast too!
I like many of the recipes. I have to say it is quite difficult to acquire them on the website. It would be most helpful if there was a place to hit enter and go to the recipe instead of having to scroll down.
I can’t read this website! The pop up ads have me scrolling line by line as I try to read between the junk. Chicken looks good though. Just not worth it.
Somehow you managed to stick around long enough and type out a fairly rude comment. Looks like you can read my site just fine.
This chicken dish looks amazing! I can’t wait to add it to our menu plan for next week!
If you try it let me know how it goes!
Perfect summer meal ( and a great way to use a couple of my favorite fruits too)! This looks great for the weekend.
Definitely a great summer meal that takes advantage of all the fresh fruit, herbs, etc!
This was fantastic!! I love the marinade and even added a little sriracha. The fruit helped offset the little extra heat and went so well with the chicken! I’ll definitely make this again before watermelon goes out of season.
I’m so glad you loved it and will definitely make it again! I thought the flavor combos were great and adding a little sriracha is right up my alley!