Lime Cilantro Shrimp and Black Bean Salad
This post may contain affiliate links.
Lime Cilantro Shrimp and Black Bean Salad — Tender juicy shrimp, black beans, avocado, cilantro, and more coated in a lime sauce that’s a FIESTA in your mouth!! An EASY and HEALTHY Mexican-inspired salad that’s ready in 10 minutes!!
Warm Shrimp and Avocado Salad
This healthy salad with shrimp and avocado brings all the flavors of Mexico to you. It’s easy, healthy, light and fresh, and ready in 10 minutes.
There are so many amazing textures and Mexican-inspired flavors, including cumin-spiced tender shrimp, black beans, velvety avocado, crunchy cucumbers, and a bit of heat from a jalapeño pepper as well as an optional serrano chile pepper.
Everything is coated in a lime and honey sauce that is so good you will want to slurp it up with a spoon.
It’s a fiesta in your mouth in every bite. Seriously so tasty and we could eat this every day!
Shrimp Avocado Salad Ingredients
To make this cilantro lime shrimp salad, you’ll need the following easy-to-find ingredients:
- Black beans
- Jalapeño pepper
- Serrano chile pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- Olive oil
- Ground cumin, salt, and pepper
- Lime juice
What’s the Best Type of Shrimp for Salads?
I used one pound of fresh, raw shrimp that were deveined but still had the shells on. You do not want to use shrimp that have already been cooked.
I used large shrimp, 12-15 count. meaning there are 12 to 15 per pound. You can use smaller shrimp if you prefer but I like the flavor better of larger shrimp.
How to Make Shrimp Avocado Salad
This is an incredibly easy cilantro lime shrimp salad to make, and it’s best served immediately while the shrimp are still warm. Here’s a look at how the healthy shrimp salad recipe comes together:
- Simply add cleaned shrimp to a skillet with olive oil, sprinkle with cumin, and cook for about 2 minutes per side.
- After you flip over the shrimp, add lime juice and honey to the skillet. This sauce becomes the salad dressing that coats the black beans and veggies and there’s no need to prepare any other dressings or use any store-bought dressings, which is handy.
- Transfer the shrimp and all the sauce to the bowl with the lettuce and vegetables. Stir to combine.
Ingredient Substitutions to Try
While I used black beans, avocado, cucumbers, cilantro, and jalapeno and serrano chiles, feel free to get creative and mix-and-match.
- red onions
- green onions
- garbanzo beans
- queso fresco
- queso panela
- or whatever you have on hand and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Shrimp and Avocado Salad
Shrimp cook very quickly and you don’t want to overcook them or they’ll be rubbery and tough. Just a couple minutes on either side (for large shrimp) is all they need!
The warm shrimp salad is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 2 days, noting that the avocado will oxidize and the vegetables will soften and release their natural juices as time passes.
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I use no salt added)
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 small serrano chile pepper, finely minced (remove seeds for less heat); optional
- 1/2 medium cucumber, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro finely minced, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined (I used 12-15 count large shrimp)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cumin, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 to 4 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- To a large bowl, add the black beans, avocado, jalapeno, optional serrano chile, cucumber, cilantro; set aside
- To a medium skillet, add the olive oil, shrimp, evenly sprinkle with cumin, salt, pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Flip shrimp over, turn the heat to medium-low, add the lime juice, honey, stir to combine, and cook until shrimp are done, about 2 minutes. Taste the sauce. If desired, add additional lime juice, honey, salt, pepper, or cumin.
- Transfer the shrimp and all the sauce to the bowl with the lettuce and vegetables. Stir to combine. Taste and make any other seasoning adjustments if necessary (I sprinkled with another 1/2 teaspoon cumin) and serve immediately. Salad is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 2 days, noting the avocado will oxidize and the vegetables will soften and release their natural juices as time passes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 2112mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 12gSugar: 18gProtein: 36g
More Mexican-Inspired Salad Recipes:
Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad – Tossed with a tangy cumin lime vinaigrette. It’s incredibly filling thanks to the beans and avocado, and can easily be packed for lunch!
Avocado Black Bean Mexican Salad – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and there’s so much FLAVOR from the lime-cumin-chili vinaigrette!! Great for lunch or a meatless Monday dinner! Accidentally vegan, gluten-free, HEALTHY, and DELISH!!
Skinny Mexican Bean and Corn Salad – Such a fast and easy recipe to make. Plus, it’s loaded with flavor and textures galore. Two kinds of beans, juicy corn and tomatoes, crisp peppers, and green onions are tossed in a lime-chili-cumin vinaigrette that’s perfectly light.
Chicken Avocado Black Bean Salad — A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and more! EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY, and packed with fiesta FLAVORS galore!
Creamy Corn and Zucchini Salad— A healthy EASY salad that’s ready in 15 minutes and so flavorful!! Corn, zucchini, cilantro, queso fresco and more are tossed in a DELISH creamy lime sauce!!
Beef Taco Salad — Loaded with crisp romaine lettuce, sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, and more! It comes together in just 20 minutes and is topped with the most incredible cilantro lime dressing.
Grilled Corn Salad with Chicken — An EASY salad that’s ready in 15 minutes and you won’t be able to stop eating it!! Tender chicken, juicy corn, crisp bell peppers and tomatoes, creamy avocado, cilantro, and fresh lime juice for the WIN!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.