Grilled Chicken and Corn Salad
Grilled Chicken and Corn Salad – An EASY salad that’s ready in 15 minutes and you won’t be able to stop eating it!! Tender chicken, juicy corn, crisp bell peppers and tomatoes, creamy avocado, cilantro, and fresh lime juice for the WIN!!
How Does The Grilled Chicken and Corn Salad Taste
This salad is perfection for us. It’s got so many awesome flavors and textures that whenever I make it, we eat the whole batch the same day.
It’s a spinoff of this Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad except I added grilled chicken to this one. We’re trying to milk every last drop of summer and this salad is perfect for Labor Day weekend or end of summer backyard barbecues.
Tender chicken, juicy sweet corn, creamy avocado, crisp red bell peppers and tomatoes, and the fresh zing of lime juice and cilantro is what summer is all about. I wish I could find great fresh sweet corn all year because I would make this year-round.
The salad is naturally gluten-free which is a nice score if you are hosting an event or get-together with guests with a variety of dietary paths.
This recipe is ripe for experimentation and mixing and matching based on what you enjoy. Some recipe tweaks include:
- Try adding red or green onions
- I used multi-colored grape tomatoes but other tomato varieties are just fine
- Incorporate black beans for extra protein
- Add cayenne pepper or canned or fresh diced green chiles or jalapeños if you’re looking for a kick
- Add zucchini or cucumber to amp the veggie level up
- Cotija cheese or queso fresco would be lovely
The sky is the limit with where you want to take this salad with Mexican-inspired flavors.
How To Grill The Corn
I recommend using fresh, in-season, sweet corn. I clean the corn by removing all the husks and silks, drizzle the corn with a bit of olive oil and rub it in, and add the corn directly to the grill.
Grilling it for about 7 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat, while rotating the ears a quarter-turn every couple minutes, works well for me but it all depends on the heat and potency of your grill.
If your corn is blackening very quickly, your grill is likely a bit too hot. A little bit of blackening is fine, but too much blackening of the corn can adversely effect the flavor of the salad making it taste too charcoaly.
Thin-Sliced Or Pounded Chicken Breasts
I find the corn and chicken cook in the same amount of time but as a pro-tip, make sure you use thin-sliced or pounded chicken breasts.
Those big fat ones will take much longer to cook than the corn and it’s nice to have the chicken and corn be finished in about the same amount of time so that you’re not manning the grill for longer than is necessary and you can get on with eating and enjoying this irresistible salad.
Favorite Corn Recipes:
- Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad – An EASY and HEALTHY salad that’s ready in 10 minutes and you won’t be able to stop eating it!! Juicy corn, creamy avocado, cilantro, and fresh lime juice is a FIESTA in your mouth!
- Grilled Mexican Corn (Elote) – Learn how to make this EASY and FLAVORFUL grilled Mexican street corn at home in minutes!! Fresh sweet corn is covered in crema, cheese, and finished with chili, lime juice, and cilantro!!
- Creamy Mexican Grilled Corn and Zucchini Salad – A healthy easy salad that’s ready in 15 minutes and so flavorful! Corn, zucchini, cilantro, queso fresco and more are tossed in a delish creamy lime sauce!
- Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
- Sweet and Sour Zucchini Corn Salad – Packed with big, bold flavors and tons of crunch! Healthy, light, bright, and cheery!
- 1.25 to 1.50 pounds thin-sliced or pounded boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 5 ears fresh sweet corn, husks and silks removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium avocados, ripe but not mushy, diced into small pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (I used multi-colored; other varieties of tomatoes may be substituted)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely minced, or to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, optional
- Place all contents in a large ziptop plastic bag, seal, and smoosh around to coat evenly. Place bag in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. When you're ready to grill, preheat to medium-high heat.
- Evenly drizzle the corn with the olive oil and rub it in evenly over the corn.
- Place the chicken and corn on the grill and cook for about 7 to 9 minutes, turning the ears every couple minutes by one-quarter turn, or as needed so that corn is cooking evenly but isn't burning. Flip the chicken once midway through cooking.
- After corn is cooked, cut the corn off the ears with a sharp knife, place into a large bowl, top with the butter, and stir to combine until the butter melts.
- Dice the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl with the corn.
- To the bowl with the corn and chicken, add all remaining ingredients except the olive oil, stir to combine, and taste. If desired, add additional salt, pepper, etc.; or add a pinch of cayenne pepper for heat, or add any of the suggestions given in the blog post. Serve salad immediately. Salad will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 4 days, noting the avocado will oxidize as time passes.
Adapted from Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad
- The nutritional info is pulling on the high side because it's taking into account the honey in the chicken marinade, as well as the olive oil in the marinade and the excess oil that runs off the corn and onto the grill.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 673Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 38gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 1722mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 7gSugar: 25gProtein: 12g
Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad – An EASY and HEALTHY salad that’s ready in 10 minutes and you won’t be able to stop eating it!! Juicy corn, creamy avocado, cilantro, and fresh lime juice is a FIESTA in your mouth!!
Grilled Mexican Corn (Elote) – Learn how to make this EASY and FLAVORFUL grilled Mexican street corn at home in minutes!! Fresh sweet corn is covered in crema, cheese, and finished with chili, lime juice, and cilantro!!
Avocado, Black Bean and Corn Salad with Lime-Cumin Vinaigrette – Everything tastes better with avocado! Easy, healthy and tons of flavor!
Creamy Mexican Grilled Corn and Zucchini Salad – A healthy easy salad that’s ready in 15 minutes and so flavorful! Corn, zucchini, cilantro, queso fresco and more are tossed in a delish creamy lime sauce!
Sweet and Sour Zucchini Corn Salad – Packed with big, bold flavors and tons of crunch! Healthy, light, bright, and cheery!
Skinny Mexican Bean and Corn Salad – Two kinds of beans, juicy corn, tomatoes, peppers, and more tossed in a light chili-lime-cumin vinaigrette! Healthy, easy, ready in 5 minutes, and loaded with flavor!
Chicken Avocado Black Bean Salad — A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and more! EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY, and packed with fiesta FLAVORS galore!
Avocado Black Bean Mexican Salad – EASY, ready in 10 minutes, and there’s so much FLAVOR from the lime-cumin-chili vinaigrette!! Great for lunch or a meatless Monday dinner! Accidentally vegan, gluten-free, HEALTHY, and DELISH!!